Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My name is Domino Harvey, and I'm a bounty huntah
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Backgammon
Just saw Domino. Great Shadowrunesque movie. Great badass characters and a crazy plot you can use in Shadowrun. Go see it!
Arethusa
Tony Scott directed a good movie? Isn't that almost impossible?
mfb
i thought it was interesting that he recycled the harry gregson-williams theme from Man on Fire for the Domino trailer. not that i mind, gregson-williams is several of the bombs.
SL James
Hey! Top Gun was the shit.
Arethusa
QUOTE (mfb)
i thought it was interesting that he recycled the harry gregson-williams theme from Man on Fire for the Domino trailer. not that i mind, gregson-williams is several of the bombs.

That's standard practice for trailers, especially when projects share composers and directors (eg Domino and Man on Fire). Usually, it's not very noticable, but sometimes, it's just hilariously stupid. HBO recycled music from the Bourne Supremacy for its trailers for Rome. Let's just say it didn't work too well.
Zen Shooter01
I saw it. Kiera Knightly is hot. Mickey Rourke is cool. Other than that, it's a big dumb crashing nonsense failure of a movie shot like a two hour-music video.
Siege
I dunno...just listening to Keira Knightly for two hours could be entertaining in and of itself.

-Siege

Edit: And they're already filming scenes for PotC 3 in addition to 2.
mmu1
This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The story could have been interesting if it had been handled by a competent director (and writer) that could have made the absurd turns the plot took much too frequently work, and pace it so that the movie didn't constantly grind to a halt. (it'd have been interesting to see what Guy Ritchie would have done with it, for example)

As it is, the only reason I don't want two hours of my life back are Kiera Knightley, wearing little or no clothing, but it certainly wasn't worth the price of a ticket.

Mind you, the start of the movie, where they pull up to the trailer to get the money back did make me think of SR - in a positive way - but things very quickly went downhill from there.
Fix-it
QUOTE (SL James)
Hey! Top Gun was the shit.

you're right, it was the biggest peice of crap ever.
mfb
no, no. current practices make it impossible to calculate which movie is the biggest piece of crap ever, since the value of crap is actually a complex equation fed by ever-changing variables. regardless, Top Gun--while formulaic and trite--can't be solved for by the crap equation. the top of the current crap list, at the moment, is Fantastic Four, mainly due to its high Your Science Makes My Eyes Bleed Molten Lava index.
Siege
Science? There was science?

Jessica Alba in spandex.

-Siege
northern lights
and i'm not sure i could find something more repulsive than jessica alba in spandex. maybe the krispy kreme girls.
Aku
mimi from the drew carrey show?
CountZero
QUOTE (mfb)
no, no. current practices make it impossible to calculate which movie is the biggest piece of crap ever, since the value of crap is actually a complex equation fed by ever-changing variables. regardless, Top Gun--while formulaic and trite--can't be solved for by the crap equation. the top of the current crap list, at the moment, is Fantastic Four, mainly due to its high Your Science Makes My Eyes Bleed Molten Lava index.

You expected accurate science from a Superhero Movie?

I may watch Domino when it comes out on DVD, and only then when my local library picks it up. I look forward to seeing how many games I can mine adventures for out of this movie.
mfb
i didn't expect accurate science, but jesus. generally, if you put the line "you know what happens to [X] when [occurance Y], don't you" in the script, you should try to make X and Y somehow related. if X is "rubber" and Y is "it's subject to extremely cold temperatures", for instance, the answer should not be "it grows bones".
toturi
The science in movies work according to the director. The director is the GM, so to speak and he is free to house rule as he pleases.
mfb
rubber is boneless! boneless! *froth*
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (toturi)
The director is the GM, so to speak and he is free to house rule as he pleases.

Of course he is. Doesn't change the fact that there are moronic GMs and that they run crappy games, and that the players are free to walk out mid-game.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
rubber is boneless! boneless! *froth*

Sure, until it is subjected to extremely cold temperatures. rotfl.gif
Jrayjoker
Oh, now you're just being mean blakkie!
blakkie
It's funny because I didn't go through the pain of watching the movie. wink.gif The trailer just looked.....unpromising.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012