Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rigging and Skillwires
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
phanos
One of my players, a face/rigger, asked me if his skillwires in gunnery and driving would work when he's rigging. I said no, since activesoft skillwires wouldn't have an affect unless he was physically there. I'm unsure of my ruling though and just wanted to get a second opinion. Anyone ever had this come up in a game?
NightRain
From a flavour point of view, you're correct. Full VR paralyzes your body leaving it all to your brain, so reflex recorders wouldn't work.

Tell him to get a control rig and be happy with the 2 extra dice that gives him smile.gif

Edit - My bad, for some reason I thought you were talking about reflex recorders, not skillwires. Skillwires would work just fine with rigging as outlined in the post below mine
RunnerPaul
At the heart of every skillsoft is a task-oriented expert system that's designed to implement the skill in question. The output of the expert system then drives a database of ASIST-recorded impulses which are played back over the skillwires. While it's true that those ASIST tracks typically drive physical actions, ASIST can also record purely mental actions, such as using a direct neural interface to issue commands over a commlink.

I'd allow it in my games.
hobgoblin
should not be a problem allowing skillwires for those skills as using skillwires cuts you off from edge iirc...
Jaid
wouldn't the use of skillwires kinda defeat the purpose of rigging the drone yourself rather than just having it be a drone?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Jaid @ Oct 22 2005, 10:15 PM)
wouldn't the use of skillwires kinda defeat the purpose of rigging the drone yourself rather than just having it be a drone?

There are some situations that it's just better to be in direct control of the drone instead of issuing commands to a drone. No matter how sophisticated of a "dog-brain" the drone has, it's no match for a free-thinking metahuman brain when it comes to decision making.

While it's true that a Gunnery Skillsoft and a Targeting Autosoft of comparable levels may both know "how to shoot" equally well (and may even be based off of the same expert system programming cores), sometimes it's "when to shoot" and/or "when not to shoot" that's the important concern.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012