Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing/Updating Cyberware + Bioware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gomez
What happens to a character's essence when he wants to replace or upgrade cyberware or bioware?
NightRain
It's not answered. Under previous editions though, it left an essence hole that you could fill with other cyberware.
Xenith
Personally, I'd think that Cyber leaves holes but Bioware doesn't (or at least not as much). Of course thats likely totally wrong under standard rules. Just what I think they SHOULD do. biggrin.gif
FrankTrollman
There are no rules indicating that essence comes back when you remove cyberware. There are no rules indicating that essence does not come back when you remove cyberware. There are no rules at all, and on this point it is perfectly valid to assume that essence never returns, removed cyberware leaves an "essence hole" that can be filled with new cyberware, or that removed cyberware simply returns essence back at full value as soon as the flesh grows in.

The rules are a little bit more clear (and draconian) for Magic Attribute. Losing an essence point makes you lose a Magic Attribute if it drops your Essence to less than six, but gaining an Essence Point does not give you a Magic Attribute under any circumstances. That much is clear from the Vampire write-up combined with the Essence Loss and Essence Drain weakness and power.

Previous editions were in the middle ground - removing cyberware did not give you your essence back, but it allowed you to put in cyberware of equal or lesser value without further essence cost. Which was way too much bookkeeping, honestly - and I hope they go to something simpler.

-Frank
Gothic Rose
How was Essence Holes a difficult system to book-keep? It requires you to write on the edge of your sheet: .32 essence hole.

That's it. It's not any worse than the old 'pools, and they were dead easy.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
How was Essence Holes a difficult system to book-keep? It requires you to write on the edge of your sheet: .32 essence hole.

That's a common house rule that people used to keep from going insane. The actual written rule was that each piece of cyberware left its own essence hole, and a new piece of cyberware could be fitted into one of them. So if you upgraded your eyes to betaware and removed your muscle replacement altogether, you were left with a 1.0 Essence hole and a .08 Essence hole.

With complicated switcheroos, it could become a paperwork nightmare. Assuming, of course, that anyone actually played it that way, which to my knowledge noone actually did.

Although interestingly enough, the old rules from M&M gave you back full nuyen.gif for anythign you upgraded. Weird but true.

QUOTE (M&M)
The cost and Essence Cost of the new part equal the total costs of the upgrade implant minus the old implant costs.

I don't think anyone played that way either.

-Frank
NeoJudas
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Although interestingly enough, the old rules from M&M gave you back full  nuyen.gif for anythign you upgraded. Weird but true.

QUOTE (M&M)
The cost and Essence Cost of the new part equal the total costs of the upgrade implant minus the old implant costs.

-Frank

Never say never or no one. There were some people who did and to be honest, we even tested it out pre-release just to see if it did anything wrong. Unless the Game Group in general is being very anal-retentive on the rules, the "all essence holes add up to one big essence hole" rule is probably what most people used.

As for the costs of upgrades, this is kinda odd because there were (are?) sections that said if you upgraded a given component (say str 3 to str 4 for instance), it just added more "stuff" to the character. I wish I could find this last part now because I just read it last week when we were doing a comparison of 3rd ed cyber/bio impact values compared to 4th ed.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Gothic Rose @ Oct 25 2005, 01:44 PM)
How was Essence Holes a difficult system to book-keep?  It requires you to write on the edge of your sheet: .32 essence hole.

That's a common house rule that people used to keep from going insane. The actual written rule was that each piece of cyberware left its own essence hole, and a new piece of cyberware could be fitted into one of them. So if you upgraded your eyes to betaware and removed your muscle replacement altogether, you were left with a 1.0 Essence hole and a .08 Essence hole.

With complicated switcheroos, it could become a paperwork nightmare. Assuming, of course, that anyone actually played it that way, which to my knowledge noone actually did.

Although interestingly enough, the old rules from M&M gave you back full nuyen.gif for anythign you upgraded. Weird but true.

QUOTE (M&M)

-Frank

Huh. That I did not know. I always thought it was a normal rule, not a house rule. Ah, well. I suspect my gaming group will be doing it that way in SR4, when we -eventually- start to play. *whimpers, because he wants to play so badly*
blakkie
QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
Huh. That I did not know. I always thought it was a normal rule, not a house rule. Ah, well. I suspect my gaming group will be doing it that way in SR4, when we -eventually- start to play. *whimpers, because he wants to play so badly*

It seems that part of the reason that house rule use in SR3 was so common is that sometimes you didn't even realize you were playing with a house rule till years later, if ever.
PlatonicPimp
Heck, occasionally the people writing were so used to the common houserule that they, too, forgot the RAW.
Doc Byte
QUOTE (blakkie)
It seems that part of the reason that house rule use in SR3 was so common is that sometimes you didn't even realize you were playing with a house rule till years later, if ever.

Or still using SR2 rules... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012