Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CNN: Japan tests mind control technology
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JongWK
Oohhh, the possibilities...
Arethusa
This is hardly mind control. Please, less absurdly inaccurate thread titles.
SL James
It'd be nice if SR didn't already have Snake-Eyes. Plus, like Aretusa said, it's a horribly misleading title.
Dog
They've been doing this to animals for years. It's a super high-tech device called "Reins."
Cray74
QUOTE (Arethusa)
This is hardly mind control.  Please, less absurdly inaccurate thread titles.

Bah, thread crapper. smile.gif

The title was a bit exaggerated, but it's on target. Your nervous system is tricked into behaviors originating from a remote control system. A little flashy advertising never hurt to draw attention to a cool invention.

They've been doing this to animals for years. It's a super high-tech device called "Reins."

Reins don't mess with the inner ear like this device. Besides, only a small fraction of people generally respond so easily to reigns as they do this gizmo. wink.gif
Fix-it
would make good plot fodder. get hired by the ACLU (or whatever extremist bit is left of them) to destroy everything and anyone with working knowledge of it.

it's something positively game-breaking, as gaining the willpower to resist your own sense of balance is probably a lot of effort.
eidolon
That's fucked up. Anyone that tries to put one of those on me should be prepared to roll a dodge test.
FiveVenoms
I'd probably be fairly wary of it myself. But in the Future maybe they'll be able to do it at range-which is a slightly more malicious idea.

Of course, if it IS just a simple matter of interfering with the sense of balance and making you tend towards a certain direction, than the available applications are a bit limited. I'm sure someone will come up with an improved method of twisting and subverting our minds to make us follow their whims eventually. Besides like, you know, the media and stuff.
SL James
Bah. It's for your own good.
Sicarius
so you are sitting in your lab, as a researcher, and you say to yourself... "what can i research that's just totally morally questionable? OOOH that silly Free will nonsense."

<Puts on tinfoil helmet> wobble.gif
ShadowDragon8685
"We call this a virtual dance experience although some people have mentioned it's more like a virtual drug experience," said Taro Maeda, senior research scientist at NTT. "I'm really hopeful Apple Computer will be interested in this technology to offer it in their iPod."

iPod Jive: Dance, bitch, dance.
Jrayjoker
Deus would have loved this bit of tech.
JongWK
QUOTE (Cray74)
A little flashy advertising never hurt to draw attention to a cool invention.

"If you promote it, they will come."

Good boy, now go fetch me a drink. *presses button and activates Cray74's device* nyahnyah.gif
Juggernaut125
I wonder how well this would work as a "Seeing-Eye dog" substitute. Mix it with a motion sensor or radar unit for collision avoidance.... hmmmm.
SL James
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Deus would have loved this bit of tech.

Like I said, it'd be novel if SR didn't have Snake-Eyes. Go back and look at some of the Banded cyberware loadouts. They had Snake-Eyes so Deus could do exactly that.
Kyuhan
What I liked was the hints to balance augmentation the article had...and the fact I brought this up already http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...=0&#entry287524 biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012