Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirit Reaction - WTF?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DigitalMage
I have done a search and noticed it got mentioned but I wonder whether it has been stated as being errata or not, but what is with the riculously high Reactions for Spirits - a Force 5 Air Spirit has a Reaction of 20! Now this wouldn't be such a problem if this just affected Initiative but Reaction is used to defend against Ranged and Melee attacks.

Are the authors really suggesting that I roll 20 dice to defend against each attack??? (I think this might be a place to use the auto Hits rule, but 5 auto hits for reaction is a tough nut to crack!)
Serbitar
Auto hit rule is suggested to be used in non combat situations only.
DigitalMage
QUOTE (Serbitar)

SR4 states: "Gamemasters should only allow this when the character has an
exceptionally large dice pool (and is unlikely to fail) or when the
situation is non-threatening and non-stressful." (emphasis mine).

I would think that rolling a 20 dice (plus defence dice for skill) counts as an exceptionally large dice pool that is unlikely to fall smile.gif
Zeel De Mort
Hmm, that does seem a bit stupid right enough.

The reaction multipliers for elementals (well, spirits of <element>) at least, in SR4, are exactly the same as the running multipliers for the same elementals in SR3. So I'm guessing it's a badly done cut-and-paste job from SR3 to SR4. Another one for the errata perhaps?
blakkie
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Oct 28 2005, 07:26 AM)

It is suggested for use in vehicle armor resisting small arms fire.

@Zeel De Mort: Yes, that has been suggested a few times. No offical word yet on it.
JesterX
Anyone sent an email to Rob about this multiplier yet?
FrankTrollman
Yes. No reply on that score. I imagine it will be cleared up in Street Magic. At the very least it will have new spirits that can be used as a comparison.

-Frank
blakkie
QUOTE (JesterX)
Anyone sent an email to Rob about this multiplier yet?

I initially got quick responses from info(@)shadowrunrpg.com about rules questions. However the last i sent, oh, about a month ago haven't gotten a response yet. I suspect with trying to get the damn book out to stores, traveling to Germany (this is assuming it is Rob answering the email there), and the likely large increase in email volume (where is my book, what is with this rule, would you like a larger penis, etc.) that the wheels feel off that wagon. frown.gif Maybe he's saving up for an FAQ? *shrug*
Azralon
I'm really liking the idea that Reaction and (Physical) Initiative are meant to have plus signs rather than multiplication signs.

Astral Initiative as Fx2 still makes sense, of course.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012