Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barriers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lebo77
Imagine for a moment that a mage has cast Physical Barrier with 5 successes. I know the mage will kill me with a mana-bolt on his next action so I pull out my Ares Alpha and aim at the mage. Setting the gun to Full-Auto I cut loose with 10 regular rounds in his general direction. What happens?

Can I knock down the barrier while I shoot at him? (That is: can I apply the Shooting THROUGH rules, while I apply the Shooting to DESTROY the barrier?)

If not, and I do the Shooting THROUGH rules, can I take down the barrier so my buddy with his Light pistol can take him out before he burns out my brain?

Veggiesama
"If the barrier is penetrated, however, it collapses and the spell ends."

Does that mean that if the bullet passes simply passes through, the spell ends? Wouldn't that just make the spell into a glorified armor spell? Firing a weapon with more than 5 DV (especially after hits on the firearms test) isn't a very difficult process.

Destroying barriers result in 1m holes, but those would close up by the next round. Now if they mean "if you cause a 1m hole the barrier goes down", that would require you to "Attack the Barrier" rather than "Shoot Through It". However with the current language, it sounds like you just have to penetrate the barrier to cause the whole thing to dissipate.

So from the sounds of it, you can shoot through the barrier with a -1 visibility penalty, and assuming you penetrate, he gets a +5 (-AP) armor dice against your shot. Spell drops, your buddy plugs him.

Now I haven't seen the spell in action yet or taken the time to examine the Armor spell, but I'd like to houserule this into requiring you to use the "destroy a 1m hole" option to take it down.
buddha
A barrier created with the spell Physical Barrier cast with 5 hits would have an armor rating of 5 and a structure rating of 5. It will regenerate any damage done to it's structure rating the next compat turn, but if it is penetrated the spell will fail and thebarrier will vanish.

If you have more than 1 IP you could shoot down the barrier in your first IP, than shoot the mage, or let your friend finish him. It only takes 5 hits after subtracting for the armor to down the Barrier so fulla auto with a grenadelauncher should be enough.

Since the spell creates a physical barrier you should be able to shoot through it with the -1 modifier to your die pool due to visibility and add the 5 armor rating to the mages armor. But since you are shooting grenades I would rule that they would explode upon hitting the barrier and not be able to pass thru until the barrier goes down.

As for the Physical Barrier spell ebing a glorified Armor spell it is similar, but the Armor spell is not canceled if penetrated, and the Physical barrier will protect more than one person. And you can not stop a car with an Armor spell, but putting a Physical Barrier in the middle of the street wil cause some major collisons without leaving any physical trace of what the first car crashed into.
Jaid
personally, i understand the part about if the barrier is penetrated it is gone to mean that if the barrier is full destroyed, then it won't regenerate, but otherwise it will.

but that's just how i read it. as i recall, it has a drain code of (f/2)+2 or something like that... i don't think it'd be worth it unless it works the way i said, because you only get a barrier with a barrier rating equal to hits (maximum of force)...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012