Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RL credsticks (well, sorta... cred phones?)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
PBTHHHHT
credstick variation becoming a part of life.

Fine, it's just a debit card thing on a mobile phone. But hey, it's something... Great, so when you get mugged for your phone, you're doubly screwed.
ShadowDragon8685
Hahaaahaaaah.

Unless, of course, you're a devious-bastard Shadowrunner. Then you hook your phone up with a GPS unit and remote-activation. When someone pinches it, you track them down to their flat, bust in the door with your team, deliver an OMG THE PAAAAIN beating, and steal everything the motherfragger has. His phones (he'll have more stolen phones than yours,) his cash, everything. What you can't cart out or isen't worth the trouble of moving it, you destroy. You bring an axe and turn his kitchen table to kindling, you pitch his microwave out the window, you cart his PC away, you cart away his phone-stealing devices, you cart away his expensive electronics, you smash his inexpensive ones. You steal his clothes, you shred all his towels and his bedclothes and anything he could wear.

So then when he wakes up after his dastardly deed, he's naked and bloody in an apartment full of broken stuff. smile.gif That'll learn 'em.
hyzmarca
Early adoption of new financial transaction methods is never the best idea. Sure, you can pay $450 to have $450 in electronic cash put on your phone, but what happens if you go to a store that doesn't accept phones? More importantly, what happens to your money if your phone breaks or company that runs all of this goes out of business.
Legal tender gold coins are still the best way to store your money.
Kyuhan

Unless, of course, you're a devious-bastard Shadowrunner. Then you hook your phone up with a GPS unit and remote-activation. When someone pinches it, you track them down to their flat, bust in the door with your team, deliver an OMG THE PAAAAIN beating, and steal everything the motherfragger has. His phones (he'll have more stolen phones than yours,) his cash, everything. What you can't cart out or isen't worth the trouble of moving it, you destroy. You bring an axe and turn his kitchen table to kindling, you pitch his microwave out the window, you cart his PC away, you cart away his phone-stealing devices, you cart away his expensive electronics, you smash his inexpensive ones. You steal his clothes, you shred all his towels and his bedclothes and anything he could wear.

So then when he wakes up after his dastardly deed, he's naked and bloody in an apartment full of broken stuff. smile.gif That'll learn 'em.
.....This stuff happens a lot in my town......I think I need to move.....sigh.
winterhawk11
I saw an example of this at an Oracle tradeshow recently. They had a Coke machine that was enabled to accept the smartcard embedded in the phone, but it went one better: you could actually hold the display up to a reader and have it read information (such as coupons) stored on the phone. The machine kept track of purchases, and when you made enough of them, it would beam a coupon to your phone that was good for free product or whatever. Pretty snazzy. The guy demonstrating it said these are already implemented in Japan.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Early adoption of new financial transaction methods is never the best idea. Sure, you can pay $450 to have $450 in electronic cash put on your phone, but what happens if you go to a store that doesn't accept phones? More importantly, what happens to your money if your phone breaks or company that runs all of this goes out of business.

Of course, if no one adopts the new technology (Cause it isn't smart, don't ya know?), then it never gets implemented at all. Someone has to be the first person to abandon "Common sense" and try to change things for the better.

Not that I actually think this is for the better. But the same argument you use for this is so often applied to the adoption of new technology, that I feel the need to lamblast the attitude in general. Hell, the "Good Idea, but I wounldn't want to be the first" attitude is the enemy of all forward thinking. There are better ways out there to do things, people, and if we don't take a chance on finding them the alternative is a world exactly like the world we live in, forever.
Aku
personally, i'd rather have something that would work like a blue tooth flash light with a short range. something that could be carried on a keychain, and turned on and off for transmission.
Muerto8
Just like SR4. Comlink functioing as credstick. And fi you're like me. Phone is a comlink. Gotta have your laptop... but still.
nezumi
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 31 2005, 12:45 PM)

Of course, if no one adopts the new technology (Cause it isn't smart, don't ya know?), then it never gets implemented at all. Someone has to be the first person to abandon "Common sense" and try to change things for the better.

I did a class related to this. Don't worry, even if WE decide not to be those first generation people, there are plenty of people who will be. The first people to adopt a new technology are generally the technical ones who get it because it's just so darn COOL! as well as the people who have a legitimate business need for it. I could see this sort of technology applying well to both factors.

Man, now I need to get a tin foil hat for my cell phone. Haha, silly me, that's why I don't have one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012