Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sci-Fi Tech NOW!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The_Gun_Nut
Hey all. First time posting here. I'm known in other forums tho (and I deny ANY malicious rumors about my person! smile.gif )

Anyway, I found an EXTREMELY exciting development in regards to Sci-Fi tech. What is Sci-Fi tech you ask? Put simply, Sci-Fi tech refers to any technology first seen in Science Fiction (movies, comics, TV, books...what have you) that is now being not only researched, but will soon be implemented. Examples include lasers, orbiting communication satellites, and now Transparent Aluminum. First seen on Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home, this stuff is incredibly strong.

Alot of things we've only imagined are becoming real. Stuff like powered exoskeletons and optical camoflage are close to becoming functional reality. What have you read of lately that falls into this category?
Austere Emancipator
Was the Star Trek aluminum more or les pure aluminum with traditional photonic bandgaps? Because what the article refers to is aluminum oxide (alumina) glasses, which is different because Al2O3s are naturally more or less transparent (see: rubies and sapphires), these are simply manufactured and treated to increase hardness and transparency. You can get a more in-depth look at the technology on this site.

(Still quite exiting, ever for those of us who don't think too highly of Star Trek.)
Fix-it
news is a few weeks old, but exciting none the less.
hyzmarca
It has been awhile since I've seem Star Trek IV, but transparent aluminum appeared to be a rather complex polymer when Scotty drew a 3D representation of the molecule.

Since he went to Plexicorp to have it manufactured it is not unlikely that it is, in fact, a plastic that is somehow related to plexiglass.
I'm not even sure if it actually contained aluminium or if that was just a common brand name.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Fix-it)
news is a few weeks old

A few hundred weeks old. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (The_Gun_Nut)
What is Sci-Fi tech you ask? Put simply, Sci-Fi tech refers to any technology first seen in Science Fiction (movies, comics, TV, books...what have you) that is now being not only researched, but will soon be implemented.

Then my favourite sci-fi tech is television/teleconferencing gear, as seen in Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

~J
Kyuhan
Nanotech, and quantum dots are my faves.
PlatonicPimp
Augmented Reality, Hands down. The possible uses I ould put that shit too in day to day life are so myriad and vast, that It beats out space travel for the technology I hope becomes commonly available within my lifetime.
Slump
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Since he went to Plexicorp to have it manufactured it is not unlikely that it is, in fact, a plastic that is somehow related to plexiglass.
I'm not even sure if it actually contained aluminium or if that was just a common brand name.

He went to Plexicorp to because they would have a ready supply of plexiglass. He traded the formula for all that plexiglass. They didn't make any transparent aluminum in that movie (he just showed them what the molecule looks like) [/nerd]
nezumi
Lovebots are definitely my favorite.
Cray74
QUOTE (The_Gun_Nut)
and now Transparent Aluminum.  First seen on Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home, this stuff is incredibly strong.

Austere pegged it. Alumina rather predates Star Trek 4.

Aluminum oxide, aka sapphire, has been known to mankind for quite a few millennia. Artificial sapphire is a development of the 19th Century and is fairly common stuff. For example, you can get 1-inch diameter artificial sapphire watch faces for as little as $15-$20.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
It has been awhile since I've seem Star Trek IV, but transparent aluminum appeared to be a rather complex polymer when Scotty drew a 3D representation of the molecule.

Yeah, and what I liked is that he did it all on a Mac 512. Guess Bill Gates didn't get the Starfleet Contract.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012