Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Captian Chaos
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
setankhtep
I havent gotten to read system failure yet but I was wondering if Captian Chaos made it through the crash?
Kagetenshi
No.

~J
Hoondatha
Though exactly *what* his status is at the end is a little uncertain. Or at least his future. I love how perhaps the key SR icon's entire existence hangs on one command line Y/N option.
ShadowDragon8685
IIRC, someone posted that he got deleted as a GitM.

Personally? I say it dosen't matter whether or not they tried to delete him. He's Captain Chaos! He's gonna make it. You don't just delete 'em, if you want to erase CC, you're going to have to do better than that. Better than a whole tribe of Otaku attacking.
Kagetenshi
Old deckers never die, they just get garbage collected.

~J
Ancient History
He's dead, Jim.
setankhtep
"GitM"? If it is true that sucks donkey balls but makes sense. The dumpshock must have been massive and deadly.
Bull
Cap was a real person, not an AI or anything, and he died trying to save as much of Shadowland as possible. Basically, he "Went down with his ship" while offloading as many passngers as possible into lifeboats.

Bull
Tiralee
A moment, then, to reflect...

Long live the Capt! May his data-trail never be found and his legend inspire others.

-Tir
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Old deckers never die, they just get garbage collected.

~J

or better yet, they get put on offline storage for future refrence smokin.gif
setankhtep
QUOTE (Tiralee)
A moment, then, to reflect...

Long live the Capt! May his data-trail never be found and his legend inspire others.

-Tir

Absolutly. Here's to Cap. Im getting to gether with a couple of my SR buddies tonight and we'll have a Beer for him.
Lindt
Yep, sorry to say but its written in the intro of Sr4. Im more then mildly bummed. Capt was the man.

On a related note... prehaps that toy that Dunk gave him had something to do with it? </wild speculation>
PlatonicPimp
NO wild Speculation about it. The worm that caused the second crash managed to break the encryption on jackbNimble, and it activated. it seems to have backed up the personalities of people who where "Killed in the crach, including Capt'n Chaos. However, The captain's personality backup regained self-awareness, becoming a ghost in the machine. The jackbnimble program determined this was a system error, and deleted the captain's file. Then it went to back up other people caught in the crash.

I think this has some relation to the sprites technomancers can summon, but that is pure speculation.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 3 2005, 09:50 PM)
He's dead, Jim.

But he ain't Uncle Ben.

Wish he was, then i wouldn't worry so much about a cheezy-shell-of-CC Free Sprite popping up in the future, sullying his memory. frown.gif That'd bum me out worse than his death and not even in a good way, unlike his death did because of the way he bit it.
FrankTrollman
But Captain Chaos' real name was Bucky, which means that he can also stay dead.

-Frank
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
But Captain Chaos' real name was Bucky, which means that he can also stay dead.

-Frank

No, it doesn't.

You see, Bucky was rescued by the Soviets, given a cybernetic arm to replace one that was lost when up apparently died, and turned him into some sort of killing machine called the Winter Soldier. They kept him frozen and only thawed him out when they needed to get some major ass kicking done so he hasn't aged much over the years.

Hoondatha
A mild quibble: we don't know (in System Failure) whether the program actually deleted CC or not. The section ends right as the decision is being made. And, while I haven't studied SR4 in depth, I haven't seen anything that definately settles the issue. FastJack said CC was dead because he didn't know about JackBNimble. What happened is simply unknown.

Oh, and I'm not convinced that JBN backed-up anyone during the Second Crash (or the First Crash, for that matter) beyond CC.
hobgoblin
it seems as if the program had a list of people it was supposed to back up or something.

to many unknowns to say realy, but i cant say i see the link between spirtes and jbn...
Lindt
Wow... I guess something right? I havent actually 'read' SF yet... so much for that suprise =p
Adarael
Here's another question...

How about my personal decker hero, The Smiling Bandit? How's he? Alive? Dead? Schtupping KAM? Gone mad on power and creating giant ants?

Or, hopefully, is he still striking again/ha-ha-ha?
eidolon
Whee. The glory of not switching to SR4. He might be "dead" in your game...

Long live CC. The dude *might* eventually die of old age...
biggrin.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (eidolon)
Whee. The glory of not switching to SR4. He might be "dead" in your game...

Long live CC. The dude *might* eventually die of old age...
biggrin.gif

Or he might become a Ghost in the Machine and live forever. nyahnyah.gif
Abschalten
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Or he might become a Ghost in the Machine and live forever. nyahnyah.gif

I read this line as it might've been said by Egg Shen in Big Trouble in Little China.

I'm such a horrible monster.
Snow_Fox
CC is dead. nothing crashed in Roswell, nothing is in Loch Ness, that isn't Elvis cutting your lawn and there is no Mafia.
Eyeless Blond
And noone is ever going to use SR to make a rip-off of Escape From LA.
Kyuhan
nothing crashed in Roswell
Weather Balloon.
nothing is in Loch Ness
Satelite SONAR agrees.
that isn't Elvis cutting your lawn
No, it's Superman.
there is no Mafia.
What about the Mozarella Association For Italian Americans? rotate.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Kyuhan)
Satelite SONAR agrees.

Because as any good Star Wars fan can tell you, sound travels very well through the vaccum of space.
Kyuhan
.....that's why it was funny... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012