Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Orichalcum
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tiralee
Yes, yes, I know, the Alchemerical Element made from radical forms of Silver, Gold Mercury and Copper... But what IS it, physically?

And how in hell does it include copper in that mix?

Basically, using junk chemistry (Ie wilkpedia and guesswork) you can add together the basic atomic masses of these elements and "discard the dross" to get a rough atomic mass of 142.2426 g/mol.

Copper: 63.546
Silver: 107.8682
Gold: 196.96655
Mercury: 200.59

= 568.97075 / 4 = 142.2426

Now, comparing the Atomic mass to what's available, we see that it falls neatly between Praseodymium (Atomic number 59, 140.90765 g/mol) and Neodymium (Atomic Number 60, 144.24 g/mol), both rare-earth metals. Or metaloids, whatever.

These 2 elements were seperated from _didymium_ - a combination of the two, once known as Element Di (When they didn't know better.)

So, rule of thumb being what it is, according to the Atomic mass, Orichalcum should have a density (weight) if roughly 6.89g/ cubic centimeter. That's "lighter" than copper.

Ok, maybe that won't work, but what do you get if you add the densities of the "combination elemental radicals" and divide by 4?

Copper: 8.933 +
Silver: 10.501 +
Gold : 19.282 +
Mercury: 13.533 +
Divide by 4, = 13.07025 g/cm3

Funky. Almost the same as mercury, which makes it a lot more compact (1 ounce of copper = ~3 cm3)

So, depending on the way in which you play (badly) with the figures, an ounce (the "gererally-agreed upon Unit" = 28.349523125g, whew!) of Orichalcum will set you back nuyen.gif 88000 and be 2.169 cubic centimeters in volume.

That roughly works out to be.. nuyen.gif 88000/28.349523125g = nuyen.gif 3104/g

So what's this all in aid of?

Well, IF you happened to go insane during the Year of the Comet or otherwise manage to snag some of the shiny, just be careful when you describe "A chunk of what looks like Orichalcum, roughly the size of a baseball..." because even if you factor in a generous fudge-factor you're still going to end up with 20.79cm3 x :nuyen:3104 = nuyen.gif 64532 weighing in at a little over 9 ounces.

Because unless you work this out beforehand, very shortly there's going to be the mother of bitching-sessions about what exactly IS Orichalcum and how much it's worth, what's it weigh and do the mages REALLY need it all?

-An object lesson, -Tir.
Slump
Your application of the math doesn't seem to have to big of glaring problems, however, one must question your premise:

Why must the listed metals be in equal portions? Even if they are in equal portions, why would the densities 'average out'?

Neat trick: Pour 1 cup of gasoline into 1 cup of water. You end up with less than 2 cups of liquid.

Why wouldn't orichalcum work like that? Also, why couldn't orichalcum (as sold in stores) be a combination of materials - not an alloy, more like a mixture. Say your average enchanter only really needs about 1/3 of a gram for some above average enchanting, but need more like 1/50th of a gram for the weakest enchantment. You could sell it in tiny, tiny little beads, or just sell it melted together with a non-radical, magically inert material, so that there is less chance of loss due to "Dangit, I dropped it!"

Think Star Trek. The main monatery unit that was used in federation-non federation trades was "Gold-Pressed Latinum." Latinum was a material that couldn't be replicated (using the replicators), but the common use form was melted together with Gold, because gold was pretty, and it made the 'coins' a managable size.

================

I, personally, view most enchanting use of orichalcum to be more like fine inlays of the material in mystical patterning. So a weapon-focus katana (dikoted, of course) might have 800,000 nuyen.gif worth of orichalcum inlaid in the blade or handle (if your runner was a fan of Robert Jordan, it may be a heron inlaid on either side of the blade just above the guard). That 800,000 nuyen.gif may have bought a 1 pound block of 'orichalcum,' which was primarily filler material used to hold the actual magical goodness. A part of the enchanting process would be stripping the orichalcum out of the block of fill, probably with magic.

The filler method solves alot of the problems you may have thought of, such as figuring out the actual cost/weight of orichalcum, because you buy a certain amount, which comes in a much larger block of material. You also don't really have to worry about it's appearence, because different companies may have slightly different filler blocks (so you can easily tell which company the orichalcum came from -- sort of like brand naming your radicals). Anybody magically active would probably be able to recognize the amount of oricalcum fairly easily (meaning don't send your street sam to pick it up from a shady seller -- you'll probably get screwed, since basically identical blocks could contain vastly different amounts of orichalcum), though they may need to assense the block to do so.
Tanka
As the books say, Orichalcum is a metal that can only be achieved whilst magic is around. It has to be made via a heavy enchanting process that takes (IIRC) 28 days.

So, basically, it's a neato metal that nobody knows anything about because it's purely magical in nature. No way it can exist now, so any of our figures based on current science are probably way off.
Ancient History
Minor problemo, TIralee. The natural orichalcum deposits cost less than synthesized orichalcum due to impruities.

Aunty H's Orichalcum Index! I lurve my site. You lurve it too.
Lucifer
There's also no assurance that orichalcum contains an equal amount of each radical. I know, I know. "You put an equal amount of each in to make it, so the end product has to have an equal amount of all of them!"

There's just one problem with that: the circulation that creates orichalcum (per Enchanting in MitS) has a variable yield. That means you and I could start with exactly the same amount of radical copper, silver, gold, and mercury, and yet I can get more orichalcum out of it than you do.

What's this tell us? That while all those elements need to be present to create orichalcum, the finished product isn't necessarily equal parts all of them. There's obviously a lot of wasted material during the process, and for all we know 90% of the copper (or whatever else) is thrown away once you're done, but every last molecule of gold is used, or something similar.

It also tells us that orichalcum is created via Alchemy, so there's no application of standard materials science that applies, making everything above moot!
Herald of Verjigorm
The real fun are the hypothetical enchanters who can create more mass of orichalcum than the total mass of the input ingredients.
Take that conservation of matter!
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
The real fun are the hypothetical enchanters who can create more mass of orichalcum than the total mass of the input ingredients.
Take that conservation of matter!

The conservation of matter has already been bent over and gangbanged by Einstein, the nice fellows of the Manhatten Project, little boy, and fat man.

Now, conservation of matter-energy is another story. When you consdier mana to be a form of energy no physical law is violated by magial creation. Of course, there is a little matter of E=mc^2 and m = E/C^2. In other words, a to cast a create spell one would would have to channel enough energy to level a city. This actually makes the wreck city spell seem more reasonable.
Cray74
QUOTE (Tiralee)
Yes, yes, I know, the Alchemerical Element made from radical forms of Silver, Gold Mercury and Copper... But what IS it, physically?

It's an alloy, not an element. It's also an alloy that wouldn't exist without magic. Trying to estimate its properties by viewing it as an element is probably the incorrect approach.

Didn't the older (1E) magic books give the ratio of component elements?
Sharaloth
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Nov 5 2005, 05:16 AM)
So, depending on the way in which you play (badly) with the figures, an ounce (the "gererally-agreed upon Unit" = 28.349523125g, whew!) of Orichalcum  will set you back  nuyen.gif 88000 and be 2.169 cubic centimeters in volume.

That roughly works out to be.. nuyen.gif 88000/28.349523125g = nuyen.gif 3104/g

Actually, it states in MitS that Orichalcum comes in units of 10 grams (SR uses metric, like all good futuristic RPG's), and that each unit is nuyen.gif 88,000. An ounce then (at the weight you've given) would set you back nuyen.gif 249,476. I don't really want to chance re-calculating the size per unit measurement, especially since we no nothing of the elemental proportions in Orichalcum, nor how the elements are combined, and so can't get a good idea of its density or other (non-magical) properties. Hell, for all we know Orichalcum could be like Aluminum with it's oxide, a real bitch to seperate once its together (EDIT: yeah, this is only important because of a tangental thought I was having on how Orichalcum stays together when heated or subjected to whatever process melds it with foci).

Still, the major point of this one is: the units are much smaller than you were thinking of.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 5 2005, 04:38 AM)
Minor problemo, TIralee. The natural orichalcum deposits cost less than synthesized orichalcum due to impruities.

Yes, but the impurities are part of the orichalcum itself. I think what he was suggesting is that when selling orichalcum you suspend it in another medium, just as sort of a packaging material. You're not alloying it with the material; it's more like how they take small pocketable things like iPods and graphing calculators these days and put them in great big packages so people won't shoplift them as easily.

The natural stuff has impurities that are actually incorporated into the orichalcum itself, which makes it less effective.
Aku
i thought he was talking about something like is done with jewelry, like diamonds, a small precious, added to something "semi-precious" (or, in the case of something like cubic-zirconim, near worthless heh) so that it's in an easier package to handle, the enchanter would then be responsible for removing it from said package to use it.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 5 2005, 04:38 AM)

Yes, but the impurities are part of the orichalcum itself. I think what he was suggesting is that when selling orichalcum you suspend it in another medium, just as sort of a packaging material. You're not alloying it with the material; it's more like how they take small pocketable things like iPods and graphing calculators these days and put them in great big packages so people won't shoplift them as easily.

The natural stuff has impurities that are actually incorporated into the orichalcum itself, which makes it less effective.

No, that's what Slump posted.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Ancient History)
No, that's what Slump posted.

Ah, right. embarrassed.gif

I == stupid
Redhammer the Old
Why should nature package it - to make it easier to pick up? Natural impurities does not sound, better stick to soy-chalcum from the local stuffer shack grinbig.gif

Does anybody use the Fourth World Orichalcum differently from the modern stuff - maybe more potent like a good old wine?
Ancient History
Most of the orichalcum from the Fourth World would probably be classed as natural orichalcum in the Sixth World.
Redhammer the Old
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 5 2005, 10:17 PM)
Most of the orichalcum from the Fourth World would probably be classed as natural orichalcum in the Sixth World.

Well yes, you could see it like that, but why would you not treat the different ED orichalci differently, blood magic, elementals etc some could have a special power - and this is more a question at GM's out there, Seems an obvious story line
Aku
i wouldnt think it would be nature that would be "packaging" it, not as how i described it atleast.

nature provides it in chunks, possibly mised with other prescious and semi prescious, or possibly "cancerious" materials that are counter productive to the orichalcum stuff.

However, after the collecting enchanter or talismonger gets back home, he seperates the good from the bad, but finds that he's got some very small amounts of orichalcum, and some larger chunks. for the very little stuff, he surrounds the orichalcum with some other intert material.
Ancient History
QUOTE ("Redhammer the Old")
Well yes, you could see it like that, but why would you not treat the different ED orichalci differently, blood magic, elementals etc some could have a special power - and this is more a question at GM's out there, Seems an obvious story line.

<shrug> The different origins of orichalcum may effect the "feel" of it to a skilled thaumaturgical analysis, but only in the case of tainted orichalcum does a significant difference in actual use apply.

QUOTE ("Aku")
nature provides it in chunks, possibly mised with other prescious and semi prescious, or possibly "cancerious" materials that are counter productive to the orichalcum stuff.

Orichalcum is normally found in or near veins of quartz crystal, not unlike gold in many respects, orichalcum has appeared in played-out gemstone mines, and of course Snowdonian orichalcum has an apparently unique crystalline deposit surrounding it. However, not all orichalcum is found with such crystal deposits.

Many times, natural orichalcum is undoubtably found in larger veins of natural mineral radicals.

QUOTE ("Aku")
However, after the collecting enchanter or talismonger gets back home, he seperates the good from the bad, but finds that he's got some very small amounts of orichalcum, and some larger chunks. for the very little stuff, he surrounds the orichalcum with some other intert material.

Possible, although I doubt it in the case of the Snowdonians (who trade the crystal to Rhonabwy). Generally speaking, though, orichalcum is probably sold in tiny balls, rods, ingots, sheets, or discs of metal; or else as a bag of powder or grains. Putting the excess material on the the orichalcum after removing it would involve more expensive without profit, and would need to be removed before the orichalcum was used anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012