Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Protective Covers?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gomez
What use is Protective Covers (page 332-333) for Eyeware?

So it gives a +2 Ballistic and Impact armor bonus to the eye area. WTF? How does that ever come up?
hobgoblin
called shot to the eyes?

iirc, the question have been asked as long as there have been a sr, and noone realy knows...
BlackHat
Well... the only example I can think of, is rating 4 cybereyes that have the "Occular done" in them. Still has a little capacity for other enhancements to be put on them, and protective covers doesn't cost any capacity - so, pay a few hundred for protective covers on your eyes, and when you pop them out, they have +2 balistic armor. Since otehrwise they have body 1 and armor 0, this could actually help.
Gomez
I might see it effecting a called shot but it adding to armor to Occular Drone is pretty nice.

And it only costs 100 nuyen anyway. biggrin.gif
Sharaloth
I always thought it was just another nod to Molly Millions of Neuromancer fame. Though in the book the covers served a more practical purpose than just providing nifty 1980's style eye covering.
Zolhex
I use them on my characters as one way reflective so as to keep those nosey corp cameras from getting a retinal image to use as a way to track me down after doing a run against them. grinbig.gif
PBTHHHHT
not just called shot to eyes, but what about the abrasiveness effects of say a sandstorm, or other situations where there's lots of small flying debris. In addition to a gas filled room (errr... well, maybe you don't need armour in that case). How about being in a pool of toxic/acid sludge, you might need to see how long ya got before it's all over and the armour might help (even to the eyes to prevent from being blinded... on that thought, what ARE the 4e rules about armour versus acid and other chemical attacks?)
Superbum
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
I always thought it was just another nod to Molly Millions of Neuromancer fame. Though in the book the covers served a more practical purpose than just providing nifty 1980's style eye covering.

I always imagined them looking like the protective covers that Bato and Boma had in Ghost in the Shell.
Squinky
I picture them like that see-thru lid frogs have....kinda like another eye-lid, underneath the natural eye-lid...

JongWK
Naaaah, just get them mirror-like. Molly rocks. wink.gif
Gomez
http://plutonium35.com/images/mollymill.jpg
JongWK
Already have that one in my disk. love.gif
Gomez
I never read the Neuromancer book. I think I better go get it now! wink.gif
Adarael
I always imagined them looking like the protective covers that Bato and Boma had in Ghost in the Shell.

I don't know about Boma, but I know Batou's eyes aren't actually 'protective covers' - those are his cybereyes. As of Ghost in the Shell 1/Manga, most (but by no means all) of Batou's cyberwear is sensory-enhancement wear.
Teulisch
i avoid the covers myself, as i go with ultrasound usualy.

the real reason you want them, is to keep things like sand out of your cybereyes. Preventive maitinance, and all that.
Superbum
QUOTE (Adarael)

I don't know about Boma, but I know Batou's eyes aren't actually 'protective covers' - those are his cybereyes. As of Ghost in the Shell 1/Manga, most (but by no means all) of Batou's cyberwear is sensory-enhancement wear.

I know they were all specced out, I just always pictured them looking like that.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Gomez)
So it gives a +2 Ballistic and Impact armor bonus to the eye area. WTF? How does that ever come up?

The Blood Kite, a para-critter of the hawk genus, originally detailed in Paranormal Animals of North America, is especially vicious when it comes to eyes.
Drace
It could help also with things like shrapnel, bird attacks, called shots, a down and dirty street fight

also, with GM allowance, maybe cut down modifiers for glare and flash paks/bangs by "tinting" the light
Azralon
QUOTE (Drace)
also, with GM allowance, maybe cut down modifiers for glare and flash paks/bangs by "tinting" the light

Well, there's already technology that does that.
Liper
if you tent the light through the lenses it WILL help with flare comp, but it's always active so during less optimal or even perfect lighting you're going to have visual modifiers from the tint.

Kind of rough to help with a sometime situation.

Demon_Bob
I suspect eye covers would protect your eyes against Tear Gas.
How much of a vision penalty should Tear Gas and Pepper Punch impose.
Clyde
Don't forget swimming underwater. Gotta have those when you get that air tank implanted smile.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Demon_Bob)
I suspect eye covers would protect your eyes against Tear Gas.
How much of a vision penalty should Tear Gas and Peer Punch impose.

problem is that tear gas atleast works just as well when inhaled. pepper punch on the other hand dont. but im only realy guessing. tear gas affects your ability to breath as well as makes your eyes water. to much exposure and you can in theory suffocate.

still, sandstorms, smoke, basicly anything that can become a eye iritant is effectivly blocked. i only hope that they can be removed or else you have a situation kinda like in neuromancer where molly spits when she crys (rerouted tear channels)...
Squinky
I have been sprayed in the face with pepper spray (o.c.) and I wish I had those eye covers....
Demon_Bob
Tear gas also irritates any area where you are sweating, as well as the mucus membranes, lungs, and eyes. It is entirely unpleasant but normally survivable.
The problem comes when someone has a respitory disorder or happens to be allergic/overly sensitive to it.

As being exposed to it makes ones eyes water and the victim generally unwilling to open his eyes I was wondering if any additional penalties over and above the stun damage taken should be applied to sight based perception checks.

While I am off the subject a little how much would goggles and/or a gas mask help against tear gass.
mfb
with goggles and a mask, tear gas is nothing more than a good sunburn. it's not going to slow anybody down in combat. without goggles and a mask... i'd probably have characters resist stun damage with Will. a lot of people can just grit their way through it and do what they need to do; other people end up coughing in the corner. or like the one chick in my basic training company--"I CAN'T BREATHE!" *deep breath* "I CAN'T BREATHE!" *deep breath* "I CAN'T BREATHE!"

woo, good times.
Squinky
I havent tried tear gas (Yay!), but the pepper spray didn't bother me with my breathing or anything else. Course they shot me right in the god damned eye, so it was hard to notice anything other than that....They did this for training, but I think they were just getting their giggles....
Hasaku
QUOTE (mfb)
with goggles and a mask, tear gas is nothing more than a good sunburn. it's not going to slow anybody down in combat. without goggles and a mask... i'd probably have characters resist stun damage with Will. a lot of people can just grit their way through it and do what they need to do; other people end up coughing in the corner. or like the one chick in my basic training company--"I CAN'T BREATHE!" *deep breath* "I CAN'T BREATHE!" *deep breath* "I CAN'T BREATHE!"

woo, good times.

Aside from some heavy coughing, the CS didn't hit me that hard. Still, the females made all the males look like pansies. Every one of them took their mask off, took a deep breath, smiled, and walked away. The first male to take a whiff almost puked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012