Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [RL] Simsense is on its way
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kyuhan
Check it out:

http://www.physorg.com/news7879.html
hobgoblin
ok, so they can pick up what image people is seeing.
but can they write back a totaly computer generated "image"?

hang on, that may explain the richness of simsense without the insane bandwith requirements. basicly you dont render a complete image. you render the traffic needed for the brain to interpet it as a image. and given how good the brain is about filling in the blanks, you may not need that much traffic before people start seeing stuff like lines and forms.

still, there is the question, do all brains prosess the same data the same way? as in, is it the same pattern that shows up in every brain when the same image is shown?

if not then simsense pr see is a impossible dream...
Kyuhan
Neuroplasticity is a big thing to consider. Even if all humans didn't process the same images the same way, it may be that we could learn to. If I see a monkey and you see grey static, maybe with proper mental training you could learn to see a monkey as well.
Jrayjoker
Liberal doses of neural growth factor would significantly reduce the time to learn, especially in older patients.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
hang on, that may explain the richness of simsense without the insane bandwith requirements. basicly you dont render a complete image. you render the traffic needed for the brain to interpet it as a image. and given how good the brain is about filling in the blanks, you may not need that much traffic before people start seeing stuff like lines and forms.
In fact, those are concepts I've incorporated in how I describe the matrix VR experiences.

QUOTE (Kyuhan)
Neuroplasticity is a big thing to consider. Even if all humans didn't process the same images the same way, it may be that we could learn to. If I see a monkey and you see grey static, maybe with proper mental training you could learn to see a monkey as well.

I'm so tempted to put up Captain Picard's "There are FOUR lights!" quote from the two-part TNG episode where he was captured by the Cardassians and being interogated, but then I remembered that I don't usually throw in movie/tv quotes.
Kyuhan
I'm so tempted to put up Captain Picard's "There are FOUR lights!" quote from the two-part TNG episode where he was captured by the Cardassians and being interogated
Except that doesn't fit. Once he saw the monkey, then it stands to assume that he'd have learned "my" way of deciphering the images and then he could see anything that I saw without forewarning as to what he was supposed to see. Like in the Matrix movies, how we (as the audience) and any recently awakened rebels all see scrolling code on the operator screens, but once they get used to it they actually see what's going on in the Matrix. Think Cypher's "Blonde, brunette, red head" speech to Neo in the first movie. If that makes any sense.
hobgoblin
we will not know until they try to play the signals back. but i dont think that teh brain will learn one pattern and then use that to instantly understand the other ones. it may pick up the other ones faster, but i dont think it will instantly understand them all on the basis of one.

sure it will find similaritys, kinda like learning that this sign indicates female gender, this indicate hair color and here is the one that indicates end of code. that mean that that sequence of codes signaled a female with hair color x.

its kinda like looking at a binary string. if you know that everything is orders in rows of 8 bits you can then take it apart. but you will still not know what the diffrent rows of 8 bits define. it can be letters, numbers, colors (those again are just numbers representing the amount/strength of a diffrent color channel) and so on. ones you know that then you can try to interpet it again and so on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012