Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Imps
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BishopMcQ
Does anyone remember what book I need to look in to find Imps...I've tried running a search and can't find anything nor can I find an index reference.
caramel frappuccino
Threats 2 is the book you're looking for.
BishopMcQ
thanks!
caramel frappuccino
No problem. smile.gif
Eggs
For the poor, ignorant, and uninformed out there (READ: me), what is an imp?
FrankTrollman
It's a Rust Monster.

Imps are a kind of malevolent free spirit that has the power to possess magical foci. Like many of the things from Threats 2, it is astoundingly non-frightening. Essentially you have to put the focus aside until you can get enough friends together to kick it out of your focus and blow it to hell.

So it's a way for the gamemaster to screw with your equipment. Apparently we are supposed to consider them a world danger or something, but I just don't see it. It's like putting termites as major world dangers - they can potentially cost you hundreds of thousands of nuyen.gif in home repairs, but they just aren't a threat to wold peace.

-Frank
Eggs
Thanks for the info. After posting I was getting kind've paranoid that someone would end up ignoring/flaming me cause I haven't read all the SB's or something smile.gif
Toptomcat
It's a Rust Monster.

XD You win an Internet.
blakkie
They were able to compel. I can't remember if the mechanics specified the power, or if it was just in the fluff. They also have the Accident power, and as describe tend to far more lethal "pranks" than normally attributed to imps in mythology. The fluff also tends to suggest some sort of drain on the victim, sending them into psychosis spiral, over a period of days. But the mechanics came through rather weak on this.

All in all though they definitely were one of the less threatening of the offering in Threats 2, acting on a much more personal level than others. They didn't really hint a possible global or even regional conspiracy. In fact as presented they lacked motivation, inclination, and ability to organize anything larger than an accidental cyanide laced tea party.
hyzmarca
Imps, played well, can give that ubber-leet mojo toy some interesting personality. They also give a creative GM a way to create a unique focus that the players will have incentive not to use.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012