Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Combat Questions from my last game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Magus
Ran into a situation I could not find an answer for in the book during gameplay. We were facing off against 2-3 individuals armed with light pistols with normal ammo. Our Orc adept was shot and hit. Lite Pistol I think was only 4 or 5 DV, Orc has 6 points mystic armor plus his normal armor giving him a total AP value of 13. Now the DV of the pistol does not surpass his Armor value would this yield stun damage instead of physical? And for me I have a 6 armor and I was hit with a shotgun for 8DV I staged this down to 6DV with dodge and then Body+Armor. Did we do this right?
Grinder
I would do it the same way, but i didn't have the opportunity to test the SR4 combat rules in actual gameplay.
Magus
One other question if you stage down physical damage that surpasses your armor rating ie 9DV vs. 5 Armor rating do you still take stun? Or is all staged down to nothing?
FrankTrollman
If your defense roll prevents the DV from exceeding your armor, you take stun damage. If your damage resistance check reduces DV to below your armor, you still take physical.

And yes, Reaction is a much better attribute than Body is.

-Frank
Demon_Bob
The determination of if the attack does physical damage is before the damage resistance test. So staging the damage down by using attribute+modified Armor to resist unfortunatly does not change it to stun from physical.

If you roll more hits on your defence roll as you are being attacked then you dont get hit. If the attackers (attack skill +attributes +modifiers) ties your (Defending skill +attribute + modifiers) then it is a glancing blow and you would only take damage from contact-only attacks.
Magus
Cool Thanks!! So if the DV value is less than your armor rating before defense it will do stun damage?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Magus)
Cool Thanks!! So if the DV value is less than your armor rating before defense it will do stun damage?

If it hits at all. The "defense" is specifically your Reaction test to dodge a blow. Your Body + Armor is actually your "damage resistance".

So the order is:

Attack Roll
Defense Roll (If Defense Roll equals or exceeds attack roll in total hits, the attack misses)
Determine Modified DV (Base DV + Attack hits - Defense hits)
Compare Modified DV to Modified Armor (If greater than, inflict physical damage, otherwise inflict stun)
Make Damage Resistance Test (each hit removes one from DV)
Apply damage.

Which sounds really long, but actually it's very fast.

-Frank
Magus
Thanks Frank. I really appreciate it.
Feshy

And yes, Reaction is a much better attribute than Body is.

Only for soaking physical damage. For spells, toxins, subduing, and a few other actions, Body is the winner. Plus, it allows higher armor ratings at the rate of two per body, which is even better than reaction (up to the point at which you can no longer afford better armor, that is)

Still, reaction is a very useful attribute, I won't deny that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012