Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystic Armor!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Spoonfunk
I am having an argument with a player of mine. He insists that if you have mystic armor you can stack that on top of any normal armor he is wearing ( he has a normal armor rating of 6/4+ Mystic armor of 3= Armor rating of 9/7). Now as far as the rules for stacking armor say. You may only count the highest armor rating worn when rolling your "soaking" test. The rules in the BB are pretty vague as far as how mystic armor is applied and wether or not it stacks and/or is added strait to the armor rating.

bclements
It's cumulative with worn armor (p188). I guess you could start enforcing encumberance rules if your guy is getting way out there on armor. Or start shooting EX-EX or APDS bursts.
Demon_Bob
On the discription of the Armor spell it does state that it is cumulative with worn armor like a shield. So I would say his Armor is 9/7.

What the armor spell does not say is that thsi does not affect the armor and encumberance rules, pg 149. So, technically unless the characters body is 5 or greater he would suffer the appropriate Agility and Reaction modifiers.

blakkie
QUOTE (Demon_Bob @ Nov 14 2005, 11:57 AM)
What the armor spell does not say is that thsi does not affect the armor and encumberance rules, pg 149.  So, technically unless the characters body is 5 or greater he would suffer the appropriate Agility and Reaction modifiers.

The rules on page 149 refers worn armor. Mystic Armor is definately not "worn". But the GM could rule either way on it i think. [edit:at least until Fanpro clarifies] Whichever way you go you should definately treat Orthoskin and Dermal Plating with the same ruling as you do Mystic Armor. I would also suggest that adding Armor Modifications ratings on top of the Impact when determining encumbrance is even more applicable since it is actually worn.

P.S. That leaves the Chemical Seal and Environment Adaptation options of Full Body Armor, providing no addition to armor rating, fully outside the encumbrance rules as written. *shrug*
Kavok
I've got a question to throw in here about armor.

If you have a troll with an armor jacket, helmet, and mystic armor he should have crazy armor.

The problem is when it doesnt pass the armor it converts to stun damage. If this player was unlucky with his dice wouldn't be be constantly passing out?
blakkie
Since most Trolls are going to have a shorter track for Stun than Physical, and roughly the same as all metahumans, yes. IMO this is a good thing with SR4.

P.S. Bring Stim patches....and a good Medkit since mages can't Heal Stun.
FrankTrollman
Yes he would. Actually having a lot of armor isn't that great of a deal. Even 12 points of armor is just 4 points of damage you don't take, and turning physical to stun is a mixed blessing (you heal faster naturally, but slower with magical help and your stun track is usually shorter). Any weapon that would have dropped you in one shot will still usually do it in two - and many of those weapons are fired SA.

-Frank
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 14 2005, 01:18 PM)
The rules on page 149 refers worn armor.  Mystic Armor is definately not "worn".
I would also suggest that adding Armor Modifications ratings on top of the Impact when determining encumbrance is even more applicable since it is actually worn.

P.S.  That leaves the Chemical Seal and Environment Adaptation options of Full Body Armor, providing no addition to armor rating, fully outside the encumbrance rules as written.  *shrug*

Good point, misread that somehow.

Because most elemental effects protect against half impact was wondering if it should be half impact plus enviromental protection.
Either way it would make sense for someone who is wearing the equivalent in protection of a full fireman's outfit to be more bogged down by his armor than someone who did not take the Fire resistance mod.

grinbig.gif
Since most Trolls are going to have a shorter track for Stun than Physical, yes. IMO this is a good thing with SR4.

P.S. Bring Stim patches....and a good Medkit since mages can't Heal Stun.

biggrin.gif
Kavok
My group is starting out playing v4.

My first character was a troll adept melee fighter.

We did a test battle and I ended up unconcisous on the ground in mere moments.

The GM thought it would be overpowered at first, turns out that it wasnt.

elbows
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

and turning physical to stun is a mixed blessing

Maybe from a metagame perspective, but in-character I think most would strongly prefer bruises to bullet holes smile.gif

Even from a metagame point of view, stun damage overflow knocks you out, while physical damage overflow has a good chance of killing you. It may not make much difference in who wins a given fight, but it can have a big effect on the lifespan of your character.
Akilina
I think you are better off with Combat Sense it is still every 3 points reduces damage by 1 but there is a chance to avoid the hit altogether.
Squinky
Or go attribute boost with reaction for only .25 and you will typically get +2 to 3 on reaction if you have a 6 magic....of course, dosen't help unless you have it turned on....

Spoonfunk
The rules on page 149 refers worn armor. Mystic Armor is definately not "worn". But the GM could rule either way on it i think. [edit:at least until Fanpro clarifies] Whichever way you go you should definately treat Orthoskin and Dermal Plating with the same ruling as you do Mystic Armor. I would also suggest that adding Armor Modifications ratings on top of the Impact when determining encumbrance is even more applicable since it is actually worn.

I would normally agree and treat it the same as dermal armor with exception to the fact that under the description of dermal armor it states that dermal armor adds to your armor rating. Under mystic armor it says its cumalitive, wich leads me to believe that you treat it as a seperate piece of armor worn and use the highest of the two armors when using armor rating instead of adding it strait to the top. Obviously the wording of the adept ability needs to be reconsidered and/or clarified.
Fortune
Cumulative specifically means that it works with the other Armor, not instead of it.
blakkie
QUOTE (Spoonfunk @ Nov 14 2005, 10:41 PM)
Obviously the wording of the adept ability needs to be reconsidered and/or clarified.

.... or a dictionary needs to be consulted to understand that cumulative is a synonym for added. nyahnyah.gif

EDIT: You might also note that this time 'round Mystic Armor is specifically described as toughing the skin, which is quite similar to Orthoskin. IMO an improvement over SR3 when it was a glowing freakin' aura....used by people who normally value stealth. wobble.gif
Kremlin KOA
blakkie mystic armor had no fixed description in 3rd ed

you are thinking of the armor spell
blakkie
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
blakkie mystic armor had no fixed description in 3rd ed

you are thinking of the armor spell

Doh, right embarrassed.gif .... and lets see ..... yup that little bit of stupidity was indeed faithfully cut-and-pasted forward. ohplease.gif *sigh*
PlatonicPimp
And that whole "Passes out from stun damage" thing can be avoided with a pain editor or an adrenal pump.
Squinky
My god no. Not the adrenal pump....That thing will make you pass out from stun or death. Those things should come with a surgeon generals warning...
Vaevictis
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Nov 14 2005, 01:29 PM)
Even 12 points of armor is just 4 points of damage you don't take,

Hehehe, at 12 points only, it's not so much worth it.

But a troll adept with 10 levels of mystic armor, a 9 body, an armored coat (the 8/6 one), a helmet and a ballistic shield? mmm, 35/32 damage resistance dice. If you roll them out, he'll average roughly 10 boxes resisted. A literal walking tank. Secksy (said Eddie Murphy style).

(One trick pony, but still fun wink.gif )

Street Sam: I draw my predator IV and shoot him twice!
Troll Tank: *giggles* Hey, that tickles! Cut it out!
FrankTrollman
It'll more than tickle, a street sam with ExEx rounds in his predator is going to be handing out about 11 DV with -3 AP, so the Troll is taking 2 Stun every time he gets hit. And that's with a sidearm. An Assault Rifle can be handing out a DV of over 20 if it's fired on full auto - and that'll drop the Troll in one complex action.

Being tough in SR4 is good. It will keep you alive against crazy nasty stuff. But it won't keep you standing. It's more like "extra lives" than extra "hit points".

-Frank
Feshy
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Nov 14 2005, 01:29 PM)
Even 12 points of armor is just 4 points of damage you don't take,

Hehehe, at 12 points only, it's not so much worth it.

But a troll adept with 10 levels of mystic armor, a 9 body, an armored coat (the 8/6 one), a helmet and a ballistic shield? mmm, 35/32 damage resistance dice. If you roll them out, he'll average roughly 10 boxes resisted. A literal walking tank. Secksy (said Eddie Murphy style).

(One trick pony, but still fun wink.gif )

Street Sam: I draw my predator IV and shoot him twice!
Troll Tank: *giggles* Hey, that tickles! Cut it out!

Your mimax skills need some work wink.gif

You can only have any adept power rating up to a max of your magic rating. No 10 points of mystic armor; you'll have to split it between combat sense and mystic armor. No problem though... check out the relevant stats for my concept (rules abuse) character Meathead the Invincible Troll:

Qualities: Toughness, Adept, Mentor Spirt: Bear Shaman
Body 10
Reaction 5
Magic 6 (4 after cyber)
Cyberwear: Bone Density 4, Orthoskin 3
Adept Powers: Combat Sense 4, Mystic Armor 4

Gear: Cammo Suit, Helmet, Ballistic shield

You first roll 9 dice to dodge (hey, pick up the dodge skill and roll even more on full dodge!). Next, you roll 24 + 16 dice for soak (10 body, +1 toughness, +2 bear shaman, + 4 bone density, +3 orthoskin, +4 mystic armor -- then add armor of 8 + 1 +6 for ballistic, +1 Troll dermal armor,).

That's a total of 49 dice you're rolling against incoming damage. After you fail to dodge, you could BUY 10 hits, enough to soak a panther cannon. That panther cannon, btw, will do stun. You'd need to take 24 DV ballistic to take physical damage.

This is with a legal starting character -- assuming your GM lets you have mentor spirits for adepts. If not, well, blow another 25 BP on Exceptional Attribute: Body, and you'll "only" roll 48 dice dodge + soak...

Full autofire from a smartmounted HMG will still be a threat -- though perhaps not a lethal one. For anything that suffers recoil penalties, your 9 dodge dice will be very helpful.

Of course, you'll be a one trick pony -- and who wants their one trick to be getting shot?
blakkie
As an excersize i checked and that's 270BP with all other attributes at zero one and no Skills (outside your free 6 points of Knowledge/Language). That is assuming you don't buy Exceptional Body but instead lower BP cost route of taking Mystic Adept (which can have a Mentor Spirit).

P.S. Of course it also assumes a favourable ruling that Orthoskin and Mystic Armor do not count for armour encumbrance. Otherwise not only is your Reaction going to be for crap, but unless you sink a lot of your remaining BP into Agility you'll actually be doing a great impression of the Michelin Man passed out on the ground after O.D.ing on Krispy Kreme doughnuts. grinbig.gif

EDIT: As a side note, what are other people's take on the Full Body Armor helmet? I just noticed that is kinda linked to the suit in the text. Do you think '-' was really intended to mean you can buy it over the counter at Wally's Weapon World, or do you think the intention was '+0' for an effective Avail of 14R? At the least i could see someone walking around with one on raise more than a few eyebrows, and definately attention from LS if an officer saw it. (automatic Perception under normal conditions?)
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 15 2005, 02:46 PM)
EDIT: As a side note, what are other people's take on the Full Body Armor helmet? I just noticed that is kinda linked to the suit in the text.  Do you think '-' was really intended to mean you can buy it over the counter at Wally's Weapon World, or do you think the intention was '+0' for an effective Avail of 14R?  At the least i could see someone walking around with one on raise more than a few eyebrows, and definately attention from LS if an officer saw it. (automatic Perception under normal conditions?)

You'd look like Calvin playing Master Chief from the Calvin & Halo comic strip.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Feshy)
Your mimax skills need some work wink.gif

Well, I was assuming synaptic accelerator (2) so that you weren't a *total* one trick pony.

And if you're really really going for minmax, don't forget to grab mystic adept, drop exactly one point into actual magic, and max up that counterspelling skill with a specialization in combat spells.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012