Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targetting people with spells while Astral.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lord Ben
In the section on astral perception it says that while astrally perceiving you can cast mana spells at astral targets. Can you also target street sams, etc with spells? What penalty to your casting roll?

Saturday we had a battle in the dark and while most people had negatives due to visabilty the mage could target ultra-stealthy enemies with impunity.

Is there no modifiers for this?
hobgoblin
while you can see a street sam from the astral, you can pass straight thru him. basicly you can only target a astraly solid target while on the astral.

astraly solid targets are spirits, even while materialized as they then are dual beings. other dual beings, like say ghouls and dragons. astraly active magicans, be it via perception or projection. and allso the astral side of a active foci.

the rest are visible but ghostly nonsolid objects and creatures.
FrankTrollman
If you are astrally projecting, your spells cannot target physical enemies and physical enemies cannot target you.

If you are astrally perceiving, your spells can target physical or astral opponents and physical and astral opponents can target you.

So yes, an astrally perceiving magician has the best of both worlds when it comes to shooting manabolts at enemies. He can see enemies with physical or magical vision and target them with spells on either plane. It's hillarious.

But it requires that you allow enemies on the astral to attack you without giving yourself the bonus speed of being an astral form yourself, so it's pretty dangerous.

-Frank
Demon_Bob
Well first he would be considered dual natured so anything Astral could attack him without materializing. This would make him a better target for enemy spirits.

While performing a physical task while astrally perceiving your at -2 dice.
I would say this would override darkness penalties.

Astrally perceiving magician can cast spells on a target in either the physical world or Astral. pg 173

Still looking but can't seem to find it yet.
hobgoblin
why oh why did i not spot that he was talking about perception?
i must have rule-of-one'd my own perception roll.
not a good day to be me this one...
Liper
While performing a physical task while astrally perceiving your at -2 dice.
I would say this would override darkness penalties.

don't forget unless you're a dual natured bieng hehe.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (SR4 p. 182 Astral Perception)
it is not possible to see both at the same time, though almost everything in physical space is reflected on the astral, albeit without detail.
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Nov 14 2005, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE ((SR4 p. 182 Astral Perception))

it is not possible to see both at the same time, though almost everything in physical space is reflected on the astral, albeit without detail.

However that quote still leaves the queston open, is does "almost everything in physical space" include the lighting conditions in physical space? In the past i believe you could still have lighting modifiers in the Astral as you were relying on the glow from nearby auras, including the normally present from the giasphere, to see things that had no aura. But if the giasphere glow is blocked, can you see nonliving things at a distance?

EDIT: Of course targeting a person that's in the dark isn't normally going to have the lighting penalty. Just the -2 penalty. The problem can only arise for things like targeting a physical spell on an unmanned drone in the dark.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012