Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cost of drugs - Cram, Long Haul, Nitro, etc
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ogbendog
Did I glitch, or does the book not have prices for Cram, Long Haul, Nitro, the drugs PCs might want for themselves?

Heck even the others it would be good to know streetprices in case they are found as loot (or a PC has an addiction to Novacoke
Squinky
Nope, no prices.
Gothic Rose
For designer/social drugs, I'd suggest including them in the characters lifestyle. Novacoke is a good example.
Azralon
Hrm, I see where you're coming from on the lifestyle thing, but I dunno. You'd be effectively making it free and infinite ("My High Lifestyle includes hot and cold running Cram").

The game balance comes in with addiction tests, of course, so I'm not too worried about that for the heavy (ab)users. It completely negates the whole shady side of drugs, though. No chance to glitch on the buy and have the cops bust you.
ogbendog
and if you are addicted, then the PC must buy the drugs. so prices and availability become pretty important
Drace
they probably didn't include prices becasue prices for drugs would differ from area to area, and depending on recent busts

ie. in redmond, cram and nitro would be cheap, and easy to buy do to what it is (basically 2070 meth and E). In ritzier area's Novacoke would be cheaper etc. So basically just price accordingly to the area.
RunnerPaul
The first one's always free.
SMDVogrin
For the game I just started, the GM had us use prices from Man and Machine. Most of the biotech gear costs didn't change between SR3 and SR4, so we figured the drug costs wouldn't change much either.

FrankTrollman
You could get into some immersive roleplaying. However much you can find crack for is the price of novacoke. However much you can find Heroin for is the going rate for Bliss. It would be like playing Freebase.

Do you have any XP?

-Frank
mfb
anyone who wants to play a character on drugs probably needs their head examined.

i dare someone to take me seriously.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (mfb)
anyone who wants to play a character on drugs probably needs their head examined.

i dare someone to take me seriously.

heh. And here I am, looking at my up and coming SR4 character with his addiction to stimulants. nyahnyah.gif
Drace
Actually, in the game I'm GMing right now, almost every char in it has an addiction of some sorts :1 BTL, 1 with Novacoke and Bliss, 2 with Deepweed (one Shaman, one TM). For each char though, they had to have a reason why they are addicted, wether it be because of living conditions, bad memories etc.

Basically I make the price fluctuate (causing them to have stashes, hopeing no one robs them), with their main connection being their fixer for the BTLs, and a bartender for the NovaCoke and Bliss. I also have another TM npc who has a deepweed business that the runners helpout with once and awhile (raid/protect shipments, remove competition). Basically it's a great roleplaying gimmick, where the characters have to take the drugs regularly, and where their addictions can open up mission hooks for them, and put them into problems when the source dries up occasionally.

My players all roleplay their addictions well too, the coke/bliss head has moments where hes hyper but quickly becomes calm, the deepweed guys act like stoners, eating alot of food(+5% living costs) and the BTL guy isnt all there anymore. Also, the boosts for the drugs are usefull too, great a cybered out street sammie, take a dose (or 3) of novacoke to give you the boost you need, and after, just crash out in the getaway car wink.gif
ogbendog
QUOTE (Drace)
they probably didn't include prices becasue prices for drugs would differ from area to area, and depending on recent busts

ie. in redmond, cram and nitro would be cheap, and easy to buy do to what it is (basically 2070 meth and E). In ritzier area's Novacoke would be cheaper etc. So basically just price accordingly to the area.

Couldn't you say that about any gear?
blakkie
QUOTE (ogbendog @ Nov 16 2005, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (Drace @ Nov 15 2005, 04:17 PM)

ie. in redmond, cram and nitro would be cheap, and easy to buy do to what it is (basically 2070 meth and E).  In ritzier area's Novacoke would be cheaper etc.  So basically just price accordingly to the area.

Couldn't you say that about any gear?

Yes, yes you could. In fact many GMs do that. After chargen I personally treat the price list as a guideline rather than a catalogue list that a PC orders out of. Also on page 303 SR4 codifies some of the common influences on blackmarket prices in the STREET COSTS table.
ogbendog
exactly, but the price lists in the book give you a starting point.

Some of the drugs like Cram, Longhaul, Nitro are useful enough that players might have them for combat use, not as recreation. A base price, or even a range would be good.

saying 10-100 per dose, or 50-500 makes a big difference
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012