Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trained Physicians and Medkits
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Azralon
I recall this being addressed previously, but my searches found no consensus on this RAW oversight.

QUOTE (p242)
The maximum damage healable with the First Aid skill is equal to the skill’s rating.

QUOTE (p244)
If a trained medtech uses a medkit/autodoc when healing a character, she receives a dice pool modifier equal to the device’s First Aid or Medicine autosoft rating. If the character is untrained, she can still make the test using her own attribute and the device’s rating in place of her skill.

Situation #1: Untrained Guy whips out his Rating X medkit to help his buddy. He rolls Logic + X and can heal up to X boxes of damage.

Situation #2: Trained Guy with First Aid skill at X whips out his Rating Y medkit. Since X > Y, he rolls Logic + X + Y and can heal up to X boxes of damage.

Situation #3: Trained Guy with First Aid skill at X whips out his Rating Y medkit. Since X < Y, he rolls Logic + X + Y and can heal up to... how much damage?

Basically this situation is going to come up with a character of mine. I have a First Aid of 3 and a medkit of 6. Does that mean the most I can ever heal someone is 3 or 6 boxes?

I'd initially say that it was a 6, since the medkit can effectively act in the place of an untrained person's skill and therefore govern the maximum healing possible. However, once you get a hold of a rating 6 medkit you're invalidating the presence of almost any field medic ever.

In other words, the way the RAW reads you can potentially fix someone better if you're untrained with a great medkit than if you're actually trained. A trained guy might be able to do it faster (by spending the surplus hits on time reduction), but never better.

~~~~~

My guess is that the heal cap should be your skill or the medkit rating, whichever is higher. You still roll Logic + First Aid + Medkit Rating (that part doesn't seem to be in conflict) since you're trained, but you aren't handicapping your effectiveness because you're skilled and have good tools. nyahnyah.gif

Anyone else have another solution or better RAW interpretation?
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon)
In other words, the way the RAW reads you can potentially fix someone better if you're untrained with a great medkit than if you're actually trained. A trained guy might be able to do it faster (by spending the surplus hits on time reduction), but never better.

Yes.

Should the rules have done something like stipulated that the cap of boxes healed was the greater of the Skill or the Medkit? Or instead give the option to "go Private"; forget what they know and just do what the CO Medkit tells them to do? Probably.
Azralon
So a 600 nuyen toy will replace about 8 years of medical school. Got it.
JRDobbs
I would limit successes to the first aid skill. The medkit helps make sure that the technician can heal as much as he knows how (more dice = more hits, up to a max of [skill] hits--remembering that each first aid die is likely to only hit 1/3 of the time) and do so as quickly and decisively as possible.

No matter how good the autodoc in the shoebox medkit is, it is still powerless to heal damage of a downed comrade when JoeCitizen with first aid 1 is doing the patching up (and shaking, going all lightheaded, etc. because it's the first time he's ever seen blood...and can't tell the difference between blood, bile, or any other humor). Drone surgeons on the other hand....

If the max boxes healable really were logic + first aid + medkit rating, I'd insist that PCs start refering to the magic little boxes as "Dr. Medkit."

*Computer voice* "I did not download the first aid skillsoft for 0.008 seconds to be refered to as MR. Medkit!"
hobgoblin
i think this problem have been around as far back as SR1 or something nyahnyah.gif

how about this:

without any training, max result is equal to half the rating of the kit.

with training its max result equal to skill x 2.

therefor, with good training and a good kit, you can perform medical wonders nyahnyah.gif

with a skill of 3 and a kit of 3 you can match a person with skill 0 and kit 6.

what is the more cheap option? rember that even without a kit you can try and heal someone if you have the training wink.gif or can you do so even without training`?
Lilt
I'd personally go with the higher of the two, anticipating an errata to that effect.
blakkie
QUOTE (Lilt)
I'd personally go with the higher of the two, anticipating an errata to that effect.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
i think this problem have been around as far back as SR1 or something

Dutifully translated from SR3 to SR4 mechnics. I'm beginning to think it's actually intentional. wink.gif Although having the skill still does help when the kit run out, or it just fell off the boat, etc. Oh, and it is listed as Default: Yes...but without a Medkit the limit on the boxes you can heal would be zero. rotfl.gif
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Azralon)

Why not? A skillsoft does the same thing.
Jaid
QUOTE (blakkie)
Oh, and it is listed as Default: Yes...but without a Medkit the limit on the boxes you can heal would be zero. rotfl.gif

yes, but you could do it really fast nyahnyah.gif

mind you, i suppose i could see a use for that... if you want to make sure the guy you just shot can't be helped with first aid, then default to logic - 1, and he can't be healed anymore.

while you're at it, cast heal and don't sustain it... as i read it, that would make it impossible to heal them in core rules (barring GM fiat, that is)
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (Jaid)
if you want to make sure the guy you just shot can't be helped with first aid, then default to logic - 1, and he can't be healed anymore.

while you're at it, cast heal and don't sustain it... as i read it, that would make it impossible to heal them in core rules (barring GM fiat, that is)

Generally, If I want to be sure the guy I just shot can't be healed I shot them again.
Aza
Medkits and Autodocs
The capabilities of modern medkits (p. 329) and autodoc drones (p. 341) rival those of trained paramedics. They can serve as a valuable aid to a medtech’s diagnoses or applied healing, or they can simply be hooked up to the patient and set to apply medical care automatically. If a trained medtech uses a medkit/autodoc when healing a character, she receives a dice pool modifier equal to the device’s First Aid or Medicine autosoft rating. If the character is untrained, she can still make the test using her own attribute and the device’s rating in place of her skill. If the device is hooked up to a patient and left unattended, simply roll the device’s rating for any tests. Note that medkits and autodocs can be accessed and controlled remotely via the Matrix/wireless link.

The kit doesn't need anyone. Someone trained in first aid helps, but someone with no skill whatsoever can still hook it up to do its thing automatically, as long as they can read the instructions on the screen.
Azralon
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
QUOTE (Azralon @ Nov 17 2005, 03:05 PM)

Why not? A skillsoft does the same thing.

.... For a more money while capping at rating 4.
Feshy
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Lilt @ Nov 17 2005, 06:48 PM)

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
i think this problem have been around as far back as SR1 or something

Dutifully translated from SR3 to SR4 mechnics. I'm beginning to think it's actually intentional. wink.gif Although having the skill still does help when the kit run out, or it just fell off the boat, etc. Oh, and it is listed as Default: Yes...but without a Medkit the limit on the boxes you can heal would be zero. rotfl.gif

Yea, this was the part I was confused about as well -- if you default, you can heal a max of zero boxes.

So as written, we have:
1) Untrained, no Medkit: Roll logic -1, heal zero boxes max?
2) Trained, no medkit: Roll logic + first aid, heal a max of first aid boxes
3) Untrained, Medkit: Roll logic + medkit rating, heal medkit rating boxes (this'll pretty much always be six...)
4) Trained, medkit: Roll logic + first aid + medkit, heal a max of first aid boxes.

Of those, only 2 and 3 make any sort of sense, really.

1) means that any fool off the street is completely unable to apply a tourniquet or staunch some bleeding, 4) means that a person with a bachelor's degree in first aid is better off if he forgets his years of training in favor of the autodoc.
blakkie
QUOTE (Feshy @ Nov 18 2005, 10:25 AM)
1) means that any fool off the street is completely unable to apply a tourniquet or staunch some bleeding,

I believe this was done intentionally. Look at the first sentence of Using First Add, page 242:

Characters with the First Aid skill may immediately
help reduce the trauma of wounds (Stun or Physical).

There is another two uses for First Aid. The first is given for further down on page 242, and it appears that it can be Defaulted to (EDIT: basically Triage). Also an untrained person can contribute to a Teamwork test, but since they are Defaulting if they don't have a good Intuition or don't use Edge they could easily mess things up.

EDIT2: Ah, and Aza just pointed out use #3.

EDIT: But ya, if they were crazy enough to try, as a GM i'd give them the chance to heal a single box.

4) means that a person with a bachelor's degree in first aid is better off if he forgets his years of training in favor of the autodoc.

*shrug* Not if the Medkit isn't there. Also it is just the box cap it limits. If you have Intuition (4), First Aid (4), and Medkit (6) you'll hit 4 boxes with consistancy. If you take away the First Aid (4) and go with just the 10 dice (assuming other conditions are optimal) you are less likely to even patch 4 boxes, muchless realize the full potential of 6 boxes. So trading off top-end for consistancy. *shrug* Get into less than optimal situations, such as the First Aider is hurt himself, and he'll want to toss in that Skill of his.

It's just when the Skill gets down to a 1 or 2 rating that it's a lot better to forget what you know (and i think should have been given as an option).

P.S. I would hardly call a Medkit (6) a "toy". <-- to be clear, this was for Azralon because, hey a 550 nuyen.gif shotgun isn't a toy....well maybe in places like where i grew up, but i'm not sure that's applicable to civilization wink.gif
Aza
1) means that any fool off the street is completely unable to apply a tourniquet or staunch some bleeding

Actually Just because an untrained person cannot heal any boxes of damage without a medkit, I can't see any reason they can't still do stabilisation

In order to stabilize a wounded character, a First Aid + Logic (2) Test or Medicine + Logic (2) Test must be made (situational modifiers apply).

Unfortunately with situational modifiers (ie bad conditions, you might be wounded as well) the chances of getting at least 2 successes using just your logic-1 is gunna be damn near impossible.
Of course you could always permanantly burn a point of edge to buy a critical success and save your fellow shadowrunner, but if we're talking burning edge your shadowrun pal should be burning their own to save against death nyahnyah.gif
Azralon
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 18 2005, 01:08 PM)
P.S. I would hardly call a Medkit (6) a "toy". <-- to be clear, this was for Azralon because, hey a 550 nuyen.gif shotgun isn't a toy....well maybe in places like where i grew up, but i'm not sure that's applicable to civilization wink.gif

A figure of speech used to reflect the comparatively low cost of a high-performance medkit compared to the overall financial value of your average shadowrunner and his/her gear.

In other words, Blakkie, 600 nuyen are just a drop in most people's figurative buckets. Hence: "toy."
hyzmarca
Possibility 5, Roll logic + skill + medkit. Heal a maximum of (Skill + Medkit) boxes.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 18 2005, 01:08 PM)

A figure of speech used to reflect the comparatively low cost of a high-performance medkit compared to the overall financial value of your average shadowrunner and his/her gear.

In other words, Blakkie, 600 nuyen are just a drop in most people's figurative buckets. Hence: "toy."

Oh, i thought you were using "toy" to evoke an emotionally loaded characterization. My bad. wink.gif

P.S. Ya, that tech stuff sure got cheap somehow. cool.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Possibility 5, Roll logic + skill + medkit. Heal a maximum of (Skill + Medkit) boxes.

Or just drop the cap altogether is another possibility. But that can make already fairly cheap healing cheaper yet.
Hasaku
QUOTE (Feshy)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 17 2005, 08:24 PM)

1) Untrained, no Medkit: Roll logic -1, heal zero boxes max?

I'd allow logic -1 boxes max, since he'll almost never get that many hits and probably glitch anyway.
Rotbart van Dainig
By the rules, he wouldn't be allowed to heal someone, but to stabilize.

Well, at least if he can manage to get two hits with Logic -4 dice alone...
Lilt
I'd allow the max healing of 1 by an untrained character... That means he can never be better than a trained character, or a character using a medkit, but he can still do something (and he can still stabilise ETC).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012