Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LOS
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SimpleRunner
With Shaman/Mages being able to cast spells at the range of LOS for things like Levitation, and Invisibility(improved as well), when do range modifiers apply and do the spells require LOS during the duration that a spell is maintained or just when the spell is cast? If so where in the rules is this covered?

Thank you in advance.
TinkerGnome
The only modifiers are for visibility. If you're going behind what you can see clearly, you have to make a perception type roll. SR3 p181.

I also noticed that cover modifiers add to spellcasting TNs from that same section... interesting.
Kagetenshi
When do range mods apply in spellcasting?
When pigs fly. When cows jump over the moon. When Democrats and Republicans decide that the other really had it right all along. When Microsoft decides to make products that work. When AK404 decides that anime sucks. When Raygun pulls down his page of firearms because really all you need is an Ares Viper Slivergun. When the issue of whether or not you can hide a kitten under an invisible coat is solved. When Shadowrun is converted to the d20 system. When Polaris and Cain decide on a way that they both want to play. When SubRosa becomes homophobic.
I think you get the picture.

~J
GunnerJ
...or how about when the optional "range modifiers for spellcasting" rules came out in MitS?
Kagetenshi
Where are those? I'm not finding them.

~J
GunnerJ
Don't have a copy on hand, but I recall seeing optional rules for range modifiers in LOS casting. Maybe it was in SRC.
Kagetenshi
Not finding it there either. Might it have been a third-party publication somewhere or a previous edition of the game?

~J
The White Dwarf
Range is never an issue with spell casting as mentioned above. You must be able to see the target in full (hence visibility and cover mods) to affect its being with magic. Not yet mentioned is that you do NOT need to maintain LOS to maintain a spell. Once it is cast on a target, the target can move out of LOS and the spell's effects are maintained by the link created at the time of casting (by LOS). The target cannot, however, move through astral barriers, ward, etc. An area effect sustained spell such as Chaotic World will cease to affect individuals as they move out of its area.
DigitalMage
QUOTE (GunnerJ)
Don't have a copy on hand, but I recall seeing optional rules for range modifiers in LOS casting. Maybe it was in SRC.

I remember these as well and I think it was in MITS but am unable to check.
TinkerGnome
I'm not seeing it, either. There are some rules for astral visibility which might come in to play for astrally targeted magic, but nothing I'm seeing about range.
BitBasher
I definitely remember seeing this in a book, but it was casting ovr long distances, like kilometers and was supposed to adjust for air visibility... IE you just can't see 10 km without them getting faded out because of fog and pollutants in the air...
Fortune
QUOTE (BitBasher)
I definitely remember seeing this in a book, but it was casting ovr long distances, like kilometers and was supposed to adjust for air visibility... IE you just can't see 10 km without them getting faded out because of fog and pollutants in the air...

I think that was in Awakenings (although it might have been the Grimoire). I'm pretty sure that this hasn't been reprinted in SR3 as of yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012