Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirits of the air
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Feshy
I guess I'm on a spirit kick today.

Spirits of the Air powers includes Engulf. Optional powers includes Energy Aura.

The gist of Engulf is that you take damage equal to Magic every time the spirit gets an action. This damage has a secondary effect, determined by the type of spirit that has done the engulfing. For air spirits, this reads:

Air Engulf: Th e victim resists Stun as if from an inhalation- vector toxin attack (see p. 244). Armor does not protect against this attack, but other protective gear might (see the Toxin Protection table, p. 245). If the victim passes out from Stun damage, he will continue to take damage, with the Stun damage overfl owing into Physical damage as normal.

Now, Energy Aura, assuming you chose that as the optional power for the spirit, has the following effects:

A critter with Energy Aura continuously radiates an aura of damaging or negative energy, be it fl ame, intense cold, electricity, or something similar. Melee attacks made by the critter gain an additional +4 modifi er to the Damage Value. 

Additionally, treat the damage as Cold, Electricity, or Fire damage (see p. 155), as appropriate to the aura. Such attacks are resisted with half Impact armor . Any successful attack against a critter with Energy Aura means the attacker also takes damage from the attack. Th e attacker must make a Damage Resistance Test against a Damage Value equal to the critter’s Magic. Impact armor protects with
half its value.

How do I reconcile the two bolded sections? My guess is that the general case cold damage (half impact armor) is superseded by the special case engulfing cold damage (armor does not help, but inhalation protection does). But... Force + 4 DV, resisted only by your gas mask and body? Twice every combat turn (manifest spirit initiative passes)? Ouch.

Also, two other things concern me:

1) There is no mention of the engulf damage taking up the spirit's action. This would seem to imply that my hypothetical air elemental could drift about the battlefield sucking up opponents like a giant, suffocating vacuum cleaner. Yikes!

2) Energy aura neglects an important word when it describes attackers taking damage -- melee is never mentioned, instead it says any successful attack. This would seem to state that opening up on a spirit with a fully automatic weapon from 50 meters will net you cold damage. Again, Yikes!
Kleaner
Engulf is a complex action, see page 351 on the critter action table. Under the power section, it says treat engulf as a melee attack as well.

Energy Aura doesn't specially say that it damages melee attacks, but I've been treating it only as melee (most ranged attacks don't do much damage to the spirit anyway).

And yea, a spirit with engulf and energy aura is really, really nasty. I think your reading it right. But magic is supposed to be powerful.

You team needs to be able to deal with it, or they can get hosed easily.
Feshy
Engulf is a complex action, see page 351 on the critter action table. Under the power section, it says treat engulf as a melee attack as well.

The first engulf action is, when the character is actually sucked up. But what about the subsequent rounds when the damage is "automatically inflicted" according to the description. Things that are "automatic" don't normally require actions. But having it NOT require an action to continue damage... well, that leads to the vacuum cleaner elemental.
Azralon
It sounds like there are two forms of damage getting dealt if the air spirit is engulfing you. So, you'd be getting suffocated by freezing cold air instead by nice room-temperature air.
blakkie
I'm not sure that Energy Aura applies, as Engulf damage already has the effect of what the Aura gives built into it as the secondary effect (EDIT: it is not treated as melee damage after all, only Spirit of Beast has Natural Weapon). But maybe not. *shrug*

I see your item #2 as a dumbass oversight by Fanpro. IC it manifests as a nigh unexplainable quirk of the 6th world that only works against PCs being run by weenie weasel rules lawyers. The reseachers at MIT&T studying this bizzare phenomenon have so far assigned it the nearly equally uncypherable name of Psychokinetic Actuated Yoyo Backlash Augmented Causmatic Karma (PAYBACK).
Dakhran the Dark
I've always seen the Engulf effect of air spirits as the ability for the spirit to shove itself down your throat and deprive you of oxygen -- hence, the treatment as an inhaled toxin, you literally suffocate on your own carbon dioxide.

The Energy Aura power would be separate damage, and so both effects would be cumulative -- very nasty combo, indeed...
Kleaner
QUOTE (Feshy @ Nov 18 2005, 03:23 PM)

The first engulf action is, when the character is actually sucked up. But what about the subsequent rounds when the damage is "automatically inflicted" according to the description. Things that are "automatic" don't normally require actions. But having it NOT require an action to continue damage... well, that leads to the vacuum cleaner elemental.

The duration under engulf is sustained. Page 286 says sustained powers may be maintained over time at no effort or cost.

Again, magic is very powerful. This is why the NAN's, elves, and dragons are in power and not the UCAS.

But engulf isn't really THAT bad. Lets say it's a force 4 spirit of air. Your basically getting hit once a action phase by a guy with a light pistol and 11 dice to hit you. If the thing has Energy aura ontop of that, it's like a guy with a shotgun shooting at you. Either way I would only give the player a penalty of half impact armor, not no impact armor.

Not fun, but not really that nasty compared to what some of the players can do.

p.s. Spirits only get two IP's. So a player with wired with a heavy pistol and decent skill is going to be pumping out a LOT more damage then a spirit with these powers. Give the guy a sub machine gun, or an assualt rifle and it's even worse.
Feshy
I'm not sure that Energy Aura applies, as Engulf damage already has the effect of what the Aura gives built into it as the secondary effect (EDIT: it is not treated as melee damage after all, only Spirit of Beast has Natural Weapon). But maybe not. *shrug*

Oh?

From "Energy Aura"
CODE
Melee attacks made by the critter gain an additional +4 modifi er to the Damage Value.

From "Engulf"
CODE
Treat Engulf as a melee attack.

I'm not sure that can be construed as anything but being applicable. One power states it's a melee attack, the other states it applies to melee attacks.

"Logically" this makes sense, too. Being engulfed in something that is harmful on contact is worse than being engulfed in something that is merely trying to strangle you. In the case of high force spirits, it's a bit like poison-tipping your EXEX, but, well, there it is.

I've always seen the Engulf effect of air spirits as the ability for the spirit to shove itself down your throat and deprive you of oxygen -- hence, the treatment as an inhaled toxin, you literally suffocate on your own carbon dioxide.

The Energy Aura power would be separate damage, and so both effects would be cumulative -- very nasty combo, indeed...

This is how I read and saw it as well. The trouble is, which armor applies? Air engulf says no armor, cold aura says half impact. I side with "no armor" -- 'cause my lungs aren't armored. But... I'm frightened of Force + 4 DV with no armor applied automatically every turn, and was hoping for an out. smile.gif

Also of importance is, is it all stun damage, or no? Cold usually isn't; air engulf is. Again, I'd go with "is stun", but that's me.

The duration under engulf is sustained. Page 286 says sustained powers may be maintained over time at no effort or cost.

Yea.. that's what I was afraid of. Anything saying engulf can't be sustained on more than one target at a time? Obviously, you could only hit one target at a time with the attack... but once the spirit has successfully engulfed its victim, what is to stop it from simply engulfing another, while the first suffocates and freezes?
blakkie
QUOTE (Feshy @ Nov 18 2005, 04:41 PM)
I'm not sure that can be construed as anything but being applicable.  One power states it's a melee attack, the other states it applies to melee attacks.

It doesn't say it IS a melee attack, but to treat it like one. However the context that is said in is where it is talking about the attack test. It then switches to giving a different damage and also giving a secondary effect (that may or may not be directly related to the *cough* energy of it aura). I'm just saying there is some wiggle room there, and frankly spirits don't need the power. *shrug*

P.S. If i did include the extra Energy Aura damage i would most definately include 1/2 Impact plus full rating of Insulation if applicable. Why? Because to include the Energy Aura i'm overriding the Engulf with the Energy Aura....although i guess if you thought it that important to be a stickler you could roll the armour dice separate and limit it to avoiding 4 boxes. *shrug* Not that it's going to make much difference most of the time since you are unlikely to have more than 10ish total in effective armour rating (and outside of polar expeditions and planned combat vs. air spirits that'll be rare i'd think). Just roll it all as one and let it sort itself out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012