Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shamanic mask or not?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
jacklind
I’m a little confused. On page 170. in the section on ‘the shamanic tradition’ it says “This phenomenon is called a shamanic mask. A player can choose whether or not this effect is apparent for her character:”

First of all. Do you think the means that you can choose that is always the case that there’s no mask og can you choose from situation to situation?

Second. Is there an advantage to the shamanic mask or do you only choose it if you thinks it’s cool/fun roleplaying?

Hope you can help. smile.gif
Eyeless Blond
Who knows? It's one of those rules that isn't really detailed yet; I hope they put it in Street Magiv.

At this point I'd rule that any mage of any tradition can choose to display such a mask or not each time they cast, as sort of a flavor thing. Maybe if geasea are implemented later (doubt it, as the only way to lose Magic now is to lose Essence) then a Mask geas would be an interesting one to have.
Liper
I think it means you can determine how strong it affects your character before you make it or as you make it.

You can't however decide mid game it doesn't impact you.
Feshy
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Who knows? It's one of those rules that isn't really detailed yet; I hope they put it in Street Magiv.

At this point I'd rule that any mage of any tradition can choose to display such a mask or not each time they cast, as sort of a flavor thing. Maybe if geasea are implemented later (doubt it, as the only way to lose Magic now is to lose Essence) then a Mask geas would be an interesting one to have.

I agree with the "determined every time you cast a spell" interpretation, and use it purely for role-playing (or maybe balancing totems). Probably best to have the mask in effect unless the situation calls for it to be otherwise. Some totems probably care about this differently too. For instance, a "proud" totem like Eagle would probably get fussy if you hid your shamanic mask all the time. Conversely, a Rat totem might actually be in favor of being more stealthy and keeping the mask to yourself -- until it comes time to defend the nest, anyway.

If a character fails to live up to the role playing aspects of the Shamanic mask (and never uses it), you might threaten to start levying penalties to casting. Or... not, if the character has a good reason for not revealing it. But if characters in your game never show their shamanic mask, it's probably best not to have NPC's do so either; or at least not have any modifiers for it.
Jaid
i seem to vaguely recall shamanic masks having 2 effects:

1) it's easier to tell the person is casting something (although, in SR4, as soon as you get to a decent force rating, it becomes pretty much obvious to anyone. i believe at 6, it's a threshold 0 test anyways).

2) i believe it gives a bonus to intimidate... or something like that... i'll see if i can find any text to back this up, until then you should probably assume i'm delusional on this one nyahnyah.gif

[edit] ok, think this may have been what i was thinking... the use of "obvious magic" can give a modifier to intimidate checks. with a mask, the probability of magic becoming more obvious increases, so in that sense it could potentially add a modifier.

also, the mask adds dice to the person's perception test, instead of reducing the htreshold further, so it has an effect even if the spell is already force 6.

personally, i would say shamanic masks are more of a penalty than a benefit, unless you can choose whether or not to manifest one. [/edit]
Liper
in sr3, the mask came into effect everytime a shaman cast a spell, the higher the force the more obvious the mask.

the example I think they gave was a hawk shaman, force 1, his features may become a little sharper, force 9 his face looks like a fullblown hawk.
Azralon
Masks are great for intimidation and stylistic purposes, but not for subtle castings. That's pretty much the long and short of it. smile.gif

I agree with Eyeless and Feshy. They probably just left it in for flavor purposes since it doesn't have a whole lot of game mechanic impact and it allows for more (mostly cosmetic) character customization.
PlatonicPimp
Thre's no real game effect to it. I've decided that if you have a mentor spirit, you have a shamantic mask. if not, then you don't.
6thDragon
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Thre's no real game effect to it. I've decided that if you have a mentor spirit, you have a shamantic mask. if not, then you don't.

There's no game effect!!! Are you joking? I would venture a guess that your campaigns are very combat heavy. In this light, the mask would have little effect, other than making it more obvious who is the mage and who should be "geeked" first. Think about this for a minute. This would make it considerable harder to cast spells in social situations. Your control emotions spell will probably be spotted or any other spell you would prefer go unnoticed for that matter. If your mage is under observation it makes it obvious you are casting a spell and could cause others to doubt the reality of that trid phantasm spell you just cast. In any social situation I think even a neutral party will become suspicious if he notices you casting spell. In short, I think there are plenty of game effects if you role play them.
Apathy
QUOTE (Azralon)
Masks are great for intimidation[...]

Not if your mentor is Gerbil... wink.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Apathy)
QUOTE (Azralon @ Nov 21 2005, 12:43 AM)
Masks are great for intimidation[...]

Not if your mentor is Gerbil... wink.gif

Unless the victims of the intimidation have heard the story of Kiki, of course.
Jaid
if you are casting a spell of force 6 or higher, it's threshold 0 to notice anyways. if you are in a social situation with someone who has the perception skill, you are extremely likely to get noticed anyways. if you are in a situation with several people, you are also very likely to be noticed anyways...
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (6thDragon)
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)

There's no game effect!!! Are you joking? I would venture a guess that your campaigns are very combat heavy. In this light, the mask would have little effect, other than making it more obvious who is the mage and who should be "geeked" first. Think about this for a minute. This would make it considerable harder to cast spells in social situations. Your control emotions spell will probably be spotted or any other spell you would prefer go unnoticed for that matter. If your mage is under observation it makes it obvious you are casting a spell and could cause others to doubt the reality of that trid phantasm spell you just cast. In any social situation I think even a neutral party will become suspicious if he notices you casting spell. In short, I think there are plenty of game effects if you role play them.

By no game effects, I mean that there are no Game Statistic Modifiers associated with the mask. Having or not having a shamantic masks in no way effects the rules. How it effects the roleplaying is another story. But since there is no rules effect related to the shamantic mask (and really, casting is obvious even if you don't have a shamantic mask) I stand by my statements.
Feshy
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
QUOTE (6thDragon @ Nov 21 2005, 10:17 PM)
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)

By no game effects, I mean that there are no Game Statistic Modifiers associated with the mask. Having or not having a shamantic masks in no way effects the rules. How it effects the roleplaying is another story. But since there is no rules effect related to the shamantic mask (and really, casting is obvious even if you don't have a shamantic mask) I stand by my statements.

p. 168
Noticing if someone is using a magical skill requires a 
Perception Test (p. 117) with a threshold equal to 6 minus the 
magic’s Force—more powerful magic is easier to spot. Th e gamemaster 
should apply additional modifi ers as appropriate, or if 
the perceiver is Awakened themselves (+2 dice), astrally perceiving 
(+2 dice), or if a shamanic mask is evident (+2 dice).

Sounds like a stat modifier to me -- gives the opponent +2 dice to notice your spell. It gives you... nothing. So, yes there is a definite game affect, and it is all negative for the caster.

Also, casting is NOT obvious regardless. It sure is when you're throwing that force 8 flamethrower, but. . . you weren't trying to hide that anyway, where you. But when you cast a force 2 control emotions spell to get just a slight edge on your negotiations test, it is as hard to notice the spell as it is to visibly spot a concealed cyberholster that's built INSIDE a cyber limb (threshold 4). That's really very not obvious. And, as you'd expect, there are many degrees of subtlety and power between "neon sign" and "buzzing gnat." (Force 2 spells can be very helpful in certain situations where you need things to be quite. Starting a bar brawl as the scrawny mage? Even a force 2 increase reflexes is going to help. Force 3 is even better -- same drain, 2 extra passes, and your drunk opponent has to get 3 hits with his drunk modifiers to even notice... Of course, if he shouts "Drek, he's a spell slinger and he's casting on us!" the rest of the bar is going to pummel you, or flee and call the cops, and all your fun is over, so you have to watch the force pretty carefully.)

So, it most certainly has an affect, even if it is not a "large" one. It's a negative tradeoff with no positive -- unless it is meant completely for the purposes of balancing mentor spirits (but they don't call it "mentor spirit mask" they call it "shamanic mask. So their intent is far from clear.) Thus, my suggestion of making it "voluntary" with "roleplaying consequences" to balance out the modifier.
Azralon
QUOTE (Feshy)
they don't call it "mentor spirit mask" they call it "shamanic mask

"Bob! Your head's on fire!"
"Naw, man, I'm just channeling Prometheus the Fire-Bringer."

Beats me what a non-religious hermetic version of Trickster would look like.
Lilt
Maybe make it a flaw? I mean, shamans were generally considered equal in cost to mages previously when they had totem modifiers + mask thrown in. Why not say that you can get the modifiers without the mask (by spending the 5BP more) or accepting the mask to pay for the mentor spirit?

You could also get a mask for people without mentor spirits, in which case it'd be player-defined like the digital chaos mage who's magic manifests as snowy static over his eyes ETC. Very flavourful IMHO.
Dread Polack
I'm going to take a moment to plug my other favorite RPG: the HERO system, a.k.a. Champions, the Superhero RPG.

In HERO, ever "power" your character takes that costs "endurance" (something very similar to drain, but nearly every physical action costs some endurance) is supposed to be perceivable by 3 senses. That is, when you let loose a spell or superpower, people can usually see it, hear it, and either feel, smell, or taste it as well (most players are a bit loose on the third sense). These are called "special effects." The blast that cyclops shoots out of his eyes, and the one one a wizard fires off when casting Magic Missile are both "energy blasts," but their "special effects" define exactly how they work. This will determine whether covering their eyes or binding their hands will stop them, or whether a mutant-power nullifier or a dispel magic want will work against them, but it's all the same rules. The reason powers need special effects is so that people know what's hitting them, and how to deal with it.

The reason I go through the trouble of mentioning all of this is because I think of the Shamanic Mask as a "Special effect." 99% of the time, your mask is only flavor text. When my bear casts Death Touch on you, he claws at you like a bear, and you can hear him growling. I run him this way because it's cool. According to the rules, if he casts Calm Emotions at Force 6, his shamanic mask should be pretty apparent, and I don't imagine seeing an ork turn into a giant grizzly bear would be very calming. Now, maybe a giant teddy bear...

But, the point is that's when you have to bend the rules a bit. Knowing someone is a shaman, and what his mentor spirit is can be a benefit to the perceiver, and it can be a bonus to intimidation for the caster. It says that the player can choose, so I think it's appropriate to suppress the mask when needed, but to let it shine when appropriate.

Dread Polack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012