Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystic Adepts casting mana spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lagomorph
In SR4, does a caster need to be able to astrally percieve to be able to cast a manabolt or other non-physical spell?

It seems that you would need to percieve astrally to be able to cast a mana based spell (to be able to link the spell to the auras you want to affect). But I haven't found anything here or in the book to support that claim. (the only thing on DSforums that I found was needing astral perception to cast on astral only targets). Can any one clear this up for me?

The background for this question is that my group is starting an SR4 game which is remaking our old SR3 characters. My character in SR3 was a Sorcerer Aspected Magician. In the previous system, Aspected magicians had access to percieve astrally. Currently to recreate the character, I chose a mystic adept with full points in magic and an incompetent flaw in summoning. However, This leaves my character with out astral perception, and the ability to cast spells which may require astral perception.

Thanks in advance
-Lago
Azralon
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
In SR4, does a caster need to be able to astrally percieve to be able to cast a manabolt or other non-physical spell?

Negatory. A mystic adept doesn't have astral perception built in, but can still sling mana even without it.
blakkie
No need to go astral to cast mana spells at targets on the physical plane.

For conversion of the aspected sorcerer you could go with Mystic Adept and spend a PP on Astral Perception, but you'll lose 1 die from your Sorcery skill rolls. Also, unless your GM doesn't use what is apparently canon, you lose 1 off of the Magic value used for determining maximum Force for your spells. frown.gif

Likely better you go Magician with Incompetent(Summoning), Incompetent(Binding), and Incompetent(Banishing). Incompetent is not suppose to be for Skill Groups. Notice that this totally rocks from a BP standpoint, but frankly given the power of spirits (even the German errataed ones) you gave up a good deal for those BP.

P.S. If your GM says you shouldn't get all 15BP back, just take it for Binding and Summoning. That puts your cost at the same level as Adepts.
Taki
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 21 2005, 02:09 PM)
Likely better you go Magician with Incompetent(Summoning), Incompetent(Binding), and Incompetent(Banishing).

Has Incompetent(Binding) any effect when you already have Incompetent(Summoning) ?

edit: by the way I never thought that a mystical adept could NOT have astral sight. But it could be funny with some concepts.
Azralon
It'd be another negative quality to buy off if you ever decided to pick up conjuring.
blakkie
QUOTE (Taki @ Nov 21 2005, 01:35 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 21 2005, 02:09 PM)
Likely better you go Magician with Incompetent(Summoning), Incompetent(Binding), and Incompetent(Banishing).

Has Incompetent(Binding) any effect when you already have Incompetent(Summoning) ?

Right now i don't think so. What Street Magic will bring? *shrug*

EDIT: ...besides what Azralon pointed out.

EDIT2: What i'm speculating about with Street Magic is the possibilities of participation in group Binding rituals, Binding of Free Spirits, and perhaps even requirements/options for enchanting items.
Lilt
Spirits are so powerful under SR4 that I'd suggest you make a full magician and say that your character underwent a 'second awakening' which turned him from aspected to full magician. Hey, the world is becoming more magical and under SR4 it's quite common for someone's magical ability to advance in ways that weren't previously possible.

If that doesn't work, then perhaps just don't settle for mystic adept? Ask your DM if he'll allow you to make an actual aspected magician? They used to cost the same as adepts, so make them 5bp with perception, no projection, and one out of sorcery, conjuring, or some spell/spirit-based combination.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012