Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [RL] A bioware (or physad?) compass
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kyuhan
Check it out:

http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/nanoscale_c...etic_field_9339

I wouldn't mind having a built in compass system like that someday. It'd probably let you know about other magnetic fields as well. Could be handy for sensing cyber or bugs.
Herald of Verjigorm
You are aware that many creatures have an iron deposite that is linked up to their nervous system?

In humans it's a little bit somewhere in the nasal region, while in birds I think it's either directly at the brain or maybe just close.

So what you really want is to get your iron deposite moved so it hooks up more strongly as a sense. Maybe placed directly in your optic nerve perhaps?
Kyuhan
You are aware that many creatures have an iron deposite that is linked up to their nervous system?
This I am aware of, it's just some cool new info about the genetics behind this that I wanted to share.

In humans it's a little bit somewhere in the nasal region,
This I was not aware of.

So what you really want is to get your iron deposite moved so it hooks up more strongly as a sense. Maybe placed directly in your optic nerve perhaps?
Now I heard somewhere that certain birds have this in their eyes so they can see magnetic fields, could a variation of this be what gives supposed real world "psychics" their "aura vision"?
hobgoblin
hmm, makes me think of technomancers.

now if that same deposit can store up enough of a charge to transmitt or alter a signal, things could get realy interesting...
Fred1000000
My mistake, I misread the article. This post would have made no sense.
nezumi
QUOTE (Kyuhan)
In humans it's a little bit somewhere in the nasal region,
This I was not aware of.

This isn't necessarily the case in EVERY human. Or at least many humans don't have enough for us to be sensitive to it. That's why some people have an innate sense of direction and some don't. Some people just have more iron boogers.
Herald of Verjigorm
I should've italicized "little."
Foreigner
IIRC, there's a non-canonical (I think) Adept power that already does this.

It's called "Direction Sense", and it's listed along with the other Adept powers governing sensory enhancements.

Here's a link:

The Newest Physical Adepts Handybook V. 2.0

(Note: Of course, it's your choice whether you click on "Open" or "Save" when the prompt giving those options pops up at the start. wink.gif )

From the context, I think that it was written for SR 1 or SR 2, but I can see no reason why it couldn't be adapted to any of the later editions.

The only exceptions, I think, would occur when his/her mind was tampered with in some fashion--i.e., psychoactive drugs, sensory deprivation, or the like.

--Foreigner
ShadowDragon8685
Or expose him to strong electromagnetic fields. smile.gif
nezumi
I was under the impression that it was also an edge in the Companion.
Foreigner
nezumi:

You're quite right. smile.gif I had forgotten that. (I haven't read my sourcebooks in quite awhile.)

"Sense of Direction", Edge, "Shadowrun Companion", page 24.

Cost: 1 Power Point.

--Foreigner
Starfurie
QUOTE (Foreigner)
nezumi:

You're quite right. smile.gif I had forgotten that. (I haven't read my sourcebooks in quite awhile.)

"Sense of Direction", Edge, "Shadowrun Companion", page 24.

Cost: 1 Power Point.

--Foreigner

It's not a power point, it's a character build point.
Foreigner
QUOTE (Starfurie @ Nov 26 2005, 12:11 AM)
It's not a power point, it's a character build point.

Oops!

Sorry.

Good thing I'm a player, and not a GM.

I have an awful time trying to understand that part of things....

--Foreigner
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012