Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Linked Passcodes and Passkeys
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RunnerPaul
The book goes to the trouble to spell out the differences between Basic Passcodes, Linked Passcodes, and Passkeys, in some detail on p.215.

However, the sections where the book spells out how you use your hacker tools due to not having proper authorization, such as breaking in, spoofing commands to devices, decrypting files, defusing databombs, and so on, never mention the different levels of passcodes, and don't specify that the process is any different depending on the type of passcoding system used.

What gives?
RunnerPaul
Don't tell me I've stumped the Dump. Surely someone at least has an opinion on this.
blakkie
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Nov 22 2005, 03:53 PM)
What gives?

Incidents of bizzare vagueness in parts of the rules is a hallmark of SR4?

wink.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 23 2005, 03:40 PM)
Incidents of bizzare vagueness in parts of the rules is a hallmark of SR 4 ?

There, fixed that for you. biggrin.gif
FrankTrollman
OK:

A Passcode can be stolen by intercepting a transmission that has a passcode in it and decrypting it.

A Linked Passcode could be gained the same way, except that you also need to fake a retinal print or something.

A Passkey requires intercepting both the door's query and the response and decrypting both.

All of them can be bypassed by opening up the box and whipping out your own Hardware skill.

-Frank
Feshy
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
OK:

A Passcode can be stolen by intercepting a transmission that has a passcode in it and decrypting it.

A Linked Passcode could be gained the same way, except that you also need to fake a retinal print or something.

A Passkey requires intercepting both the door's query and the response and decrypting both.

All of them can be bypassed by opening up the box and whipping out your own Hardware skill.

-Frank

Or, logging on and running exploit.

I asked this question in one of my posts, too... there just isn't any info connecting these passcodes to hacking tests in any way. So, the assumption I'm working under is that these passkeys offer methods for getting access without hacking, and are completely irrelevant if you are hacking.
hobgoblin
bingo, it just provides a GM with info about how to set the system up so that even when the teams hacker is out of action, they can still break in wink.gif

for a hacker its a "simple" matter of tricking the secuirty system into unlocking that door...
RunnerPaul
Would it be possible to tell, say via the analyze program, if someone's logged in from an account that uses a linked passcode/passkey, vs. someone logged in to a backdoor account that's not linked to biometric data or a specific piece of hardware because it was generated by the exploit program via a "probing the target" attack?

hobgoblin
well if the logs are detailed enough it would show a door opening but no passkey or code used for that same time.

now, most likely uses of exploit will show up as strange crashes of subsystems and similar. so if a similar thing shows up in the logs at the same time then maybe a smart admin will figure out what happend.

this can allso be what patterns the automatic security system looks for...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012