Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Combat Fatigue
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mmu1
So... What's the longest, highest intensity streak of carnage your character has been involved in? I doubt I'm going to beat anyone who survived the Arcology, but I feel the need to set down some stuff for cathartic purposes, and it certainly has been an intense time... (if anyone recalls, this is the character I mentioned was going to think about retirement)

Day 1-2: The team sets off to terminate a group of rogue mages, who make their home in bunkers under an abandoned AF base out in the desert. We end up killing/destroying something on the order of a dozen of zombie-like creatures, four strong undead-looking spellcasters able to regenerate anything short of a face full of burning thermite, an attack helicopter, one human spellcaster, and three or four spirits. Have to remove a spine section from one of the undead mages as proof. We also find out that they appear to have about 30 people held prisoner, and are doing some rather nasty things to them, but are unable to save any before the bad guys liquidate them. Return to Chicago, collapse in order to get some sleep.

Day 2-3: We get a call from a friend who's having trouble with some UB freaks. Oh, and the city gets placed under quarantine.

Day 3: Team tries to probe the quality of the quarantine cordon. Gets stopped by a Knight Errant roadblock and flubs an attempt at talking our way out of it. The rigger gets shot with so much narcojet her heart stops, but not before running the van over a KE mage. Two more cops are beaten unconscious, two are taken hostage, a police spirit is disrupted, and my character succeeds in a desperate attempt to revive the rigger. (using his last point of Karma Pool) We get the hell back into Chicago, because she needs a doctor or a magician.

We head to a place belonging to one of the rigger's contacts with the intention to hole up, only to find it's under attack by giant wasps - around 8-10 of them. We go in, kill about half in a drawn-out battle, drive off the rest by setting them on fire. The people we just bailed out nearly shoot us (they've been having a bad day too), but things are resolved peacefully - and a mage is found, even, that manages to patch up the rigger to the point where she should be able to heal naturally. We sleep.

Day 4: The quarantine gets worse, and it looks like food supplies will be a problem. We raid a restaurant, and perform one of the most polite armed robberies in history. Then we move on to a Home Despot for supplies, and find it's been taken over by ~20 armed people who won't share.
Hostilities erupt - we wait at first, thinking to move in at our convenience, but end up storming in all-out because they start executing their hostages/prisoners (employees and people who came in to shop), and my character is feeling bad about the people we weren't able to save in the desert. Roughly half of the hostages, and most of the bad guys (~15) die in a hail of assault rifle, machine gun, and grenade launcher fire. (though none of the hostages by our hand) We return with enough supplies to build a bunker of our own.

Day... 5?: The UB contacts us, and offers us an absurdly large sum of money to smuggle something out of the city. We say "Uh... maybe. Need to think about it. Bye." and begin to check in on our contacts, making sure they're ok, and picking up any that want to relocate for safety.

Things go smoothly at first - we manage to intimidate a mob of gangers into leaving one of our buddies alone with no shots fired - but when we stop at the house of the next contact, we are ambushed by several mosquito spirits. They are dispatched with relative ease, but the level of tension rises a bit. A couple more contacts are also dealt with without too much trouble (a couple of gangers get shot when one of them tries of put hands on the rigger after we decide to be nice and talk to them rather than simply riding them and their "toll booth" down with guns blazing), but when we hit the practice of a physician friend of ours, all hell breaks loose.

Apparently, he'd been taken hostage by a bunch of goons, who are making money (well, food and ammo, actually) by selling his services. We go in to try to rescue him, and a massive fight erupts in which one of our temmates gets killed (we think, couldn't get to the body yet), I nearly kill another teammate with a grenade trying to get the 6 enemies who captured him (Only to be really surprised when he appears to stay conscious, and then to realize that maybe he did pass out after all, because some other personality/spirt/soul/demon from the nether hells has surfaced - only to ask me how to use a stim patch, apply it to himself, scream like an animal, and collapse. Amnesiacs...), get ambushed by three goons who knock out the doctor I just rescued, take them out, get jumped by a couple of spirits and engulfed by (naturally) the one that looks like a mix of animated garbage and sewage, and get bailed out by our Voodoun's spirit.
I proceed to clear out the rest of the building, getting a jump on several goons by throwing a can of Aztecola into a room they were waiting to ambush me like it was a grenade (after the earlier incident which nearly blew out the walls everyone was sort of skittish about them) and open fire into the ensuing panicked scramble. Unfortunately, it turns out one of them has a grenade too, and gets lucky with the throw - while I get over-eager and don't retreat to complete cover like I ought to have. I soak 10D down to L, and manage to take them all out, even taking one of them prisoner. The fighting stops for the moment.

In total, over the course of five or so days, the body count stands at something like 45-50 more-or-less-metahumans, 15-20 spirits and 1 attack helicopter, we're still inside Chicago, and my character's usually stable mind is slowly starting to fray...
Kagetenshi
There were a few more casualties at the ganger tollbooth, too—even though the guy with the rocket launcher was pretty much too stunned to do anything, he didn't drop it so I couldn't let him live.

The mage at the barricade could have been military, mind you.

~J
PBTHHHHT
Fun stuff, glad your character is still alive so far. Let us know what else happens.

edit: I might have missed this in the other thread about throwing the grenade or not. But Kage, you and mmu are in the group? Just curious.
Kagetenshi
Yep. I'm the jaundiced Rigger.

~J
Backgammon
Now that's a good story.
Edward
The runes threw the arcology I did where only slightly more intense than that. The clearly higher body count was in an aztechnology teokali although it was over in a mater of hours. The teem damaged the monitoring and manual control of the reactor, the security rigor spontaneously decided he needed extraction for himself and his family (they where going to vivisect his kid) and set the reactor to overload in an hour before disabling the remote deactivation. the reasoning being that the last dangerous security squad where the only ones left that could deactivate it manually and they wouldn’t be able to chace him, he assumed nobody would be fool enough to disable manual controls on a nuclear reactor, the runners had been trying to hide from observation.

The conclusion is obvious.

Edward
DocMortand
I put my runners through a marathon in the Arcology shutdown - they were there when it first shutdown, and 2 (or was it 3) straight 24-a day they were finally out, with 30+ tag-a-longs. The posts from Lina are on Ghosts of Dallas to see the nastiness unfold:

http://www.theghostsofdallas.com/forums/vi...?t=316&start=60

The group is still ongoing (no fatalities except for LOTS of civilians and a few PCs that joined in mid Arc.)

Took about 2 months RL to do, for game time 2-3 days. *wince*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012