Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Security for DIMR building
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MaxHunter
Hi. I am preparing a run for my players. BTW, said players: KEEP OUT

The runners will be hired to inflitrate DIMR headquarters in Boston and hack a semi-secure system inside. (The Johnson is not looking for the hottest research data, but what he wants can't be taken from the Matrix -I can tell more details if necessary

I have planned the layout and now I am designing the builiding security system, still I don't know what kind of magical security they could place in there. (And I am not talking only about astral security but also about magical physical sec. measures)

I am a bit tired of using spirits as magical security measures, so I would take more original suggestions. Paracritters? Magical traps? (I dunno, I don't want D&D)

I would also appreciate any ideas about the look and feel of the building itself. It's an "academic" institute so the cold corporate decoration would not fit.

I could tell more later, but I wanted to post this quickly.

Cheers,

Max

PS. Just in case, use the spoiler feature for the rest of the post.
blakkie
It's pretty common to put some shorter version of "KEEP OUT YOU FREAKIN' WEENIE PLAYERS OF MINE" in the thread title. wink.gif

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
how 'bout warded corridors w/ imps on the astral. Wards to keep them in the area, imps to mess with intruders wards. Might be a bit of a stretch, but it'd be good stuff. Also, for a change, try going w/ non lethal area effect gear with the guards, such as splat weapons and Ares Squirt weapons w/ DMSO cocktails. If they're expecting a lot of magical security, mix things up by having the buildings security a rigged system. Throw in a few drones like micro skimmers that can get around easier but are tougher to effect with magic, and use security doors to limit the teams mobility, assuming they trip an alarm.
If you really want an alarm tripped, try the sensor systems that are embedded in the walls from SOTA '63.
Hell hounds make for good scary security, as do cerebrus hounds. But both are kinda rough on the interior. Good for outside though.
Lilt
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
[ Spoiler ]
MaxHunter
Thank you all very much for your help. I find this discussion most interesting.

Funny there is no "spoiler" button in the menu among the code buttons.

[ Spoiler ]
tisoz
[ Spoiler ]
Starfurie
QUOTE (MaxHunter)
Thank you all very much for your help. I find this discussion most interesting.

Funny there is no "spoiler" button in the menu among the code buttons.

[ Spoiler ]

Yea, it's annoying, isn't it.

[ Spoiler ]
FlakJacket
Gas traps, preferably loaded with something that has a contact vector rather than inhilation one. Runners are sneaking down the coridoor or poking round a server room when they trip an alarm, blast doors slam down from the ceiling blocking them in and gas gets pumped in. Use something non-lethal like Neurostun and even if they get caught and questioned you ccan be an evil bastard and give them a 'Right, you're going on this suicide mission for me or else' jobs for a laugh. smile.gif

Small secondary security system that isn't hooked into the primary one or the rest of the buildings systems, isn't even mentioned on them. Concealed motion sensors/pressure pads controlled by remote for small high security areas that get turned on/off when the people working there come in and leave. Have it hooked into a one way cellular system, can only phone out and not accept incoming calls, that sends out a silent alarm when triggered. Perfect for the paranoid executive or cranky research genius wanting to protect their privacy.
nick012000
Ryan Mercury just happens to be visiting the facility when the PCs attack.
Demon_Bob
How about awakened mobile plants in an area with high CO2, and low O2.

A room filled with Cyborg Nazi Corps Cadavres sardined into a large room clearly labeled "Warning Do Not Open Cyborg Nazi Zombies" only in a language none of them understand.
stevebugge
You could be really evil. They are expecting lots of magical security, it is after all the DIMR. So load up a rigged system with sharpshooter equipped drones, or better yet robots! Laser Meshes, narcoject guns hidden in statues, electrified floor panels, Ok maybe all that sounds a little D&D. Some of my favorite tricks involve using the architecture, lighting, and climate control as part of the security system. At the same time you have to keep in mind that security measures can't interfere with the primary purpose of the building, in this case you can't use any security measure that could cause much collateral damage, in the case of the DIMR that means working with lots of irreplaceable artifacts so fire & water are probably out. However you could hide the secures server in a clean room that has all the oxygen evacuated and a subzero temperature to preserve the artifacts. Airlocks could be employed, combined with RFID tags to control access wrong tag and you get neuro stun instead of clean air in the airlock.
blakkie
QUOTE (Demon_Bob @ Nov 25 2005, 10:28 PM)

A room filled with Cyborg Nazi Corps Cadavres sardined into a large room clearly labeled "Warning Do Not Open Cyborg Nazi Zombies"  only in a language none of them understand.

It's better to put it in a language they all understand. Huge, red, glowing letters. Makes it a lot funnier when they open the door....and they will open the door. wink.gif
Feshy
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Demon_Bob @ Nov 25 2005, 10:28 PM)

A room filled with Cyborg Nazi Corps Cadavres sardined into a large room clearly labeled "Warning Do Not Open Cyborg Nazi Zombies"  only in a language none of them understand.

It's better to put it in a language they all understand. Huge, red, glowing letters. Makes it a lot funnier when they open the door....and they will open the door. wink.gif

No, what's REALLY fun is to put that on ALL the doors. Then they'll be just as lost, and STILL open a door full of cyborg nazi corps cadavers.

That's what I do for home security, and so far it's worked. Those Jehova's witnesses never knew what hit them. Well, okay, they probably knew because it said so right on the door; but from the look of surprise on their faces you'd never know it.
MaxHunter
Ciborg Nazi Corpse Cadavres LOL!
...And yes, they would open that door anyway

Lilt
[ Spoiler ]
tisoz
QUOTE (Lilt)
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
MaxHunter
[to tisoz] Sanctuary.... That's more like it.
Anyway I'm saving the drake for the retrieval team...
pragma
[ Spoiler ]
nick012000
I still say that Ryan Mercury ought to be paying them a visit. Purely by co-incedence, mind you. wink.gif
toturi
Rigger w CCSS and a mage/shaman with fibreoptic. I would also not go for lethal responses for a DIMR host. Unless the research paydata is a "Threat" itself, I wouldn't expect lethal response. FAB 2, biofibre, etc to limit astral intrusion and don't forget, the place should a lot of magical activity and hence Background Count.
Method
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012