Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magesight Goggles?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
jacklind
The Combat Mage sample character's got 'Magesight Goggles' in his Gear.

I been looking through the book and I just can't seem to find anything about them!?

What are they and/or where can I read about them?

Hope you can help.
RunnerPaul
p.324, second item under the the heading "Optical Devices"
Feshy
Very handy things to have, too. Nothing quite as much fun as casting around corners or through a tiny hole in an otherwise secure building.

Kind of pricy for articulated rope though. But well worth the investment.

BTW, they say they are available in 10, 20, and 30 meter lengths -- but only one price is given. Does that mean I need to by the fiber optic part separately? Or... does everyone just get 30 m?
jacklind
Thanks a lot. Pretty smart. I'm gonna get me one of those. smile.gif

The way I read it you at least buy the myomeric rope separately!? I can't find a price for the fiberoptic cable/optical lens, so that's probably free smile.gif But I dunno!

FrankTrollman
Fiberoptic cable used to go for 1 nuyen.gif a meter. As such, I don't think that just including the 30m length for characters that want it.

-Frank
blakkie
EDIT: For a bit of clarity.

The way i read it the myomeric rope is a separate item, you pay 2000 nuyen.gif for the base goggles (and fittings). Then 200 nuyen.gif , 400 nuyen.gif , or 600 nuyen.gif to buy which ever length of myomeric rope you want. As Frank points out the optic portion of the rope would likely be fairly cheap, likely just part of the 20 nuyen.gif /m.

If you want to go without the myomeric ability, say for an installed system in your Fortress of Solitude, then cut the cost substantially. I'd see 1 nuyen.gif /m is a lot closer, and likely not even worth tracking in a Fortress of Solitude situation compared to things like installation and such.
TheFr0g
Casting a spell using the rope/goggles doesnt count as viewing your target through an electronic device? I didn't think you could use the goggles for actual spell casting.
Ancient History
The goggles contain lenses that let you see through the end of a fiber-optic cable - nothing electronic about that. The optical cable has another cable snaked around it that actually moves it, but it you're not actually using it to see the target.
TheFr0g
That is madness...

AWESOME madness.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (blakkie)
If you want to go without the myomeric ability, say for an installed system in your Fortress of Solitude, then cut the cost substantially. I'd see 1 nuyen.gif /m is a lot closer, and likely not even worth tracking in a Fortress of Solitude situation compared to things like installation and such.

When hardwiring this kind of fiber optic system into a building, while the fiber optic cable itself is trivial, you really need a good set of remotely operated optical switches to let you design a branched network of fiber optics.

The old Corp Security book listed a 6 position switch for 15,000¥, a 9 position switch for 20,000¥ and a 12 position switch for 25,000¥. As a point of reference, it listed the goggles themselves at 5,000¥, so it may very well be that 2070's prices are 40% of what the 2055 prices are, across the board.

Of course, you could just ditch the switches, and have the mage plugging the goggles up to a bank of different sockets all connected to their own length of fiber optic, like some late 19th/early 20th century telephone switchboard operator. Makes for a fun mental picture, if nothing else.

Interestingly enough, the old corp sec handbook also listed a price of 100¥ per meter for the fiber optic, and required you to put a 10,000¥ camera lens system at the end of it. Since none of that is mentioned in the 4th edition version of the system, I imagine it's no longer that important.

Some other points from the corpsec book that aren't mentioned in 4th ed but I think bear houseruling back in would be the maximum fiber length, the fact that because it has to remain a pure optical image with no enhancement that it gets harder to see your target over longer distance, and the fact that casting a spell over a long run of fiber is supposed to be more draining on the caster.

Corp Sec says that the maximum run of fiber you can use for this kind of system is 2,500m. For really short runs of fiber, like the 3m of the portable system, I'd say no modifiers, but for say 10m-500m, a -1 visibility modifier to the spellcasting test, and a -1 to your drain resistance test, going to -2 at 500m-1,000m, -3 at 1,000m-1,500m, -4 at 1,500m-2,000m, and -5 at 2,000m-2,500m.
BishopMcQ
I don't have the book with me ATM, but I believe SOTA:63 had an updated system from CorpSec.
FrankTrollman
Rather than making spells more draining, magesight goggles reduce your spellcasting dice pool. The net effect is very similar, you need to cast a bigger spell to have the same effect and it is still more likely to be resisted.

-Frank
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Rather than making spells more draining, magesight goggles reduce your spellcasting dice pool.

Elegant.
PBTHHHHT
too simple. We can't let that be implemented. wink.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
too simple. We can't let that be implemented. wink.gif

The alternative: going by the RAW which has no penalties listed, is even simpler, so we certainly can't just leave that in place.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Nov 27 2005, 08:43 PM)
too simple.  We can't let that be implemented.  wink.gif

The alternative: going by the RAW which has no penalties listed, is even simpler, so we certainly can't just leave that in place.

*gasp* Waaay too simple. It must be revised!

Seriously, if that's the case. Why add more problems/rules to memorize for the system? Keep it simple.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Nov 27 2005, 08:43 PM)
too simple.  We can't let that be implemented.  wink.gif

Actually, the penalties are listed:

QUOTE (SR4 @ p. 324)
Spellcasting targetted through optics this way suffers a -3 dice pool modifier.

-Frank
RunnerPaul
That's what I get for reading just the entry and not the section text above it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012