Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: chameleon suit
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
6thDragon
Does the chameleon suit only effect perception tests? I would think it would also make the character wearing it harder to hit in ranged combat. Perhaps a vision modifier equal to the perception test modifier, or at least half that. Have any of you encountered these in your games?
BlackHat
Assuming the guy firing the gun has made his perception test to notice the guy in the suit... he can see him. Like, you either see someone, or don't. That may mean he can distinguish the outline of the guy's body from where the suit fails to accuratly hide him or something, but at that point, the guy just aims at the person he can see, and fires - same as always.

If the guy firing the gun failed to see the guy in the suit, I'm not sure how he is choosing to fire at him anyways. biggrin.gif Then you get into a more area-fire section of the rules, which has very little to do with the chameleon suit.

Consider a mage casting invisibility. If you see him, you can shoot him. The spell doesn't make him harder to shoot, if you know he's there - only harder to notice that he's there in the first place.
Slacker
BlackHat, the thing is that the invisibility spell is an all or nothing thing. If you resist the spell, you can see the character without impairment.

With a chameleon suit, even if you spot the character, the suit is still actively trying to camoflage him/her. Think about the movie Predator. The chameleon suit may or may not be as advanced as what was in that, but it's a close enough example.

That being said, I agree with you that there probably doesn't need to be a vision modifier. An outline is enough to aim at, though called shots might be another issue.

I could maybe see giving a modifier equal to 1/2 the perception test modifer, but that is the most I could possibly see using.
blakkie
Comparing noticing the guy in the chameleon suit to resisting an Invisibility spell is a very poor comparison. frown.gif

Comparing the penalty for noticing the guy in dim light to comparing noticing the guy in a chameleon suit is closer. So ya, i'd likely give a penalty for ranged weapons. The full -4 dice? Likely not, call it Partial Cover instead for a -2 die penalty.
PBTHHHHT
better yet, there's some first person shooter game mods that have something with the chameleon effect. Sure you can see the blur when they're moving and other such environment conditions. But it's very easy to lose track of them if they're trying to evade and then hide again. Sometimes you have to devolve to spray and pray...
BlackHat
QUOTE (Slacker)
BlackHat, the thing is that the invisibility spell is an all or nothing thing. If you resist the spell, you can see the character without impairment.

With a chameleon suit, even if you spot the character, the suit is still actively trying to camoflage him/her.

Well, by the rules, the chameleon suit is an all-or-nothing thing too. smile.gif If you make the perception check, you see the character without imparement (except, by light, which is handled with its own modifiers).

Logically, I agree with you that some penalty should be applied, but by the rules, I don't know where it would fit in, or what it would or would not stack with.

If you see the guy in the invisibility spell, the spell is still trying to conceal him or her too, right?

I'm way less familiar with the magic rules than with the sci-fi rules, but I was pretty sure that if you percieved an invisible person... it wasn't that the magic on them "went away" or that you never noticed that they were trying to be invisible.. .its just saw through it... mabye you saw a blur, or noticed the shape or something.

Again, I might be wrong, but if I walked into the room with an invisible guy, and saw him, I don't think that I would be unaware that he was trying to be invisible... I think I would notice that there is someone in the room, over there, and that he is invisible (but I can make him out).

I always saw it working like the suit, but maybe I just havn't read it closely enough.
Azralon
My guesses:

If you can't see someone (due to invisibility, Infiltration, or whatnot), you're at a -6 penalty against him. If he's not only invisible, but you're unaware of him, then you can't even roll a defense against him.

Even though the guy is in his Predator suit, he's still making noise -- particularly if he's fighting you. Those of you with supercybersniffers can still tell he's there. If he's a sniper on a distant rooftop, then obviously nonvisual senses probably won't apply.

So an invisible assassin, if you don't notice him, can smack you without any chance of you defending. After his first shot, though, you're probably aware that he's there and can try to defend/attack at -6.
blakkie
QUOTE (BlackHat)
QUOTE (Slacker @ Nov 28 2005, 02:15 PM)

With a chameleon suit, even if you spot the character, the suit is still actively trying to camoflage him/her.

Well, by the rules, the chameleon suit is an all-or-nothing thing too. smile.gif If you make the perception check, you see the character without imparement (except, by light, which is handled with its own modifiers).

It says that where?
Rotbart van Dainig
Apply a –4 dice pool modifier to Perception Tests to see the wearer.

Nothing more, nothing less.
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Nov 28 2005, 01:47 PM)
Apply a –4 dice pool modifier to Perception Tests to see the wearer.

Nothing more, nothing less.

However it does not say it is all or nothing. Most certainly not in the same way that resisting a spell is.

EDIT: BTW that is why i put it under Partial Cover.
Rotbart van Dainig
Well, it's modifier does not influence Ranged Combat at all.
Slacker
QUOTE (BlackHat)
If you see the guy in the invisibility spell, the spell is still trying to conceal him or her too, right?

With the spell Invisibility, you are not rolling to see if you notice the target despite the spell. You are rolling to resist the spell. So you either see the character as normal or not at all (for flavor I've always said that when you succeed in resisting the spell you see the person fade in from thin air, but that is just flavor).

The spell may continue to try and conceal the target from others, but once you've resisted, the spell no longer exists as far as your concerned.
BlackHat
Right, well ,I guess its not AS cut and dry, since you could have perception threshholds and whatnot.. .you could "sort of" notice someone, I suppose (not sure if its just an opposed roll, or what the thresholds are to see someone man-sized) - but AFAIK for targetting them with a gun, there are two states... "seen" and "not seen" (assuming good lighting and no real cover). the third state "unaware" means you probably don't know to try shooting at them, since you have no reason to believe they are there.

A chameleon suit doesn't really render you invisible, it just augments your hiding abilites by providing camoflage - so it should work the same.

If some guy is hiding in my living room by standing behind the window-drapes, and I spot him (say, by noticing his feet sticking out underneth), I wouldn't have any penalty to shoot him. His attempt to hide failed, and I saw him. So, BANG.

Same goes if he's standing in front of the drapes, but wearing a chameleon suit. Now I might not notice his feet sticking out (since they're camoflaged as my carpet), but if I still percieve him standing there, I can just shoot him. BANG, dead.

If he's running around jumping and dodging he might be harder to keep an eye on, but then he's not hiding at all - and he's harder to hit because of the movement, not because of the images of the suit. In fact, in SR3, running around made Reuthinium worthless, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore (I guess the refresh rate went up). But assuming a successful perception check, I can see him, dispite the fact that he's moving around, so I can shoot at him like normal.

My (admittadly poor) comparison to the invisiblity spell aside, chameleon suits just help you hide... and if you notice someone hiding, they're not harder to hit, at least, as I've interpretted the rules. The "Using Perception" section might have something about partial success, and related tests, but I don't think it does.

At best, there are three states "unaware that the target is there", "aware that something (the target) is there, but cannot locate it" or "have located the target".

In the first case, there is nothing to shoot at (as far as you know). In the last case, you can see it, so you can just shoot it. In the middle case, you're effectivly firing blind at something you think might be somewhere in the room.
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Well, it's modifier does not influence Ranged Combat at all.

But that wasn't the inital question.

Does the chameleon suit only effect[sic] perception tests?

blakkie
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Nov 28 2005, 02:07 PM)
If some guy is hiding in my living room by standing behind the window-drapes, and I spot him (say, by noticing his feet sticking out underneth), I wouldn't have any penalty to shoot him. His attempt to hide failed, and I saw him. So, BANG.

Actually you would have a penalty to shoot him. Curiously enough the GM is likely to rule Partial Cover, -2 dice.
Slacker
BlackHat, there are not just 3 simple states of perceiving somebody. There are many varying degrees of perception, that is the whole reason behind visibility modifiers.
In Full Darkness and using Normal vision you can actually see somebody, you could know where they are in a general sense and that is why you would suffer a -6 penalty to hit.
Same goes for fog, mist, glare, cover, etc. These are all things that impair your ability to see the target. Since the chameleon suit does just that (impair your ability to see the target) it may be logical to have an associated ranged combat modifier.
BlackHat
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Nov 28 2005, 02:07 PM)

Actually you would have a penalty to shoot him. Curiously enough the GM is likely to rule Partial Cover, -2 dice.

Arg! Silly GM! biggrin.gif If the drapes could stop a bullet, I could see them being cover... but otherwise, I'd know where he's at, and what his general body-shape is.. .but yeah, I see your point.

In any case, I don't have any links on hand... and the Reuthinium cloaking technology may have advanced since the days of SR3 (read: not really useful to apply old logic to new rules)... but I'm pretty sure the "Reuthinium != Invisibility" thing has been argued to death in the SR3 boards.

If you were going to give wearers benifits to defending from attacks, they could arguably get some to making attacks as well (It'd be ahrd to dodge a punch you don't see coming, or to dodge a bullet fired from a gun that you don't see aimed at you), and to perception tests (since they have 360-degree vision if they link to the sensors)... I dunno, but it'd become a fairly widely abused item.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 28 2005, 10:13 PM)
But that wasn't the inital question.

Does the chameleon suit only effect[sic] perception tests?

The answer to that question indeed is no - it does affect Damage Resistance Tests, too, and if wearing it with other amor, might a lot more. nyahnyah.gif

But it does not, RAW, give enemies penalties in Combat.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Slacker)
BlackHat, there are not just 3 simple states of perceiving somebody. There are many varying degrees of perception, that is the whole reason behind visibility modifiers.
In Full Darkness and using Normal vision you can actually see somebody, you could know where they are in a general sense and that is why you would suffer a -6 penalty to hit.
Same goes for fog, mist, glare, cover, etc. These are all things that impair your ability to see the target. Since the chameleon suit does just that (impair your ability to see the target) it may be logical to have an associated ranged combat modifier.

I agree that there arn't REALLY just those three state... just that those modifiers come from there being less light around (Whcih I'm assuming isn't the case, case if it is, it has its own modifier), or from there being something between your eyes, and your target.... be it smoke, mist, or whatever... which, there isn't.
blakkie
Please keep in mind that Partial Cover in SR4 speak includes soft barriers who's benefit/penalty is primarily visual:

QUOTE (page 141)
Attacks against targets obscured by intervening terrain
such as brush, foliage, or various obstacles (crates, windows,
doorways, curtains and the like) receive a –2 modifi er if at least
25% of the target’s form is obscured.

Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (blakkie)
Please keep in mind that Partial Cover in SR4 speak includes soft barriers who's benefit/penalty is primarily visual:

QUOTE (page 141)

Uh, yeah.

What of those is worn amor? indifferent.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (blakkie)

QUOTE (page 141)

Yeah, yeah, I know... sleepy.gif when you brought it up I realized it would probably come into play, despite, logically, knowing right where the guy is, and where the rest of his body would be... I suppose your shot would suffer since you couldn't aim as well at anything vital.
Slacker
QUOTE (BlackHat)
I agree that there arn't REALLY just those three state... just that those modifiers come from there being less light around (Whcih I'm assuming isn't the case, case if it is, it has its own modifier), or from there being something between your eyes, and your target.... be it smoke, mist, or whatever... which, there isn't.

Well, technically the chameleon suit is between your eyes and your target, it just happens to be wrapped around your target. nyahnyah.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (Slacker)
Well, technically the chameleon suit is between your eyes and your target, it just happens to be wrapped around your target. nyahnyah.gif

I suppose. And by that logic it'd give soft-cover bonuses to combat, too, I suppose. I mean, more than 25% of the target is covered by the suit - it just so happens it wraps all the way around him. biggrin.gif Course, the flashy guy in the bright-red long-coat can say the same thing.
blakkie
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 28 2005, 10:29 PM)

QUOTE (page 141)

Uh, yeah.

What of those is worn amor? indifferent.gif

Obscured.
Rotbart van Dainig
There's the problem - it's not independent from the silhouette of the character.

It does not obscure it - in fact, the edges will be enhanced since the picture will be wrapped around...
blakkie
QUOTE (BlackHat)
QUOTE (Slacker @ Nov 28 2005, 03:33 PM)

I suppose. And by that logic it'd give soft-cover bonuses to combat, too, I suppose. I mean, more than 25% of the target is covered by the suit - it just so happens it wraps all the way around him. biggrin.gif Course, the flashy guy in the bright-red long-coat can say the same thing.

Sure....in a bright red room the same colour as the coat and with lighting effects that made it very difficult to discern the target from not-the-target.
blakkie
There's the problem - it's not independent from the silhouette of the character.

It does not obscure it - in fact, the edges will be enhanced since the picture will be wrapped around...

rotfl.gif dead.gif
Azralon
Maybe a lesser example would help.

If I'm in the desert and wearing desert camo, then people have a penalty to spot me. However, if I'm in the same outfit and brawling with some guy out on the open sands, he's not going to be at any penalties.

A chameleon suit makes instantly-adapting supercamo, not actual invisibility. It could be pointed out that it's not recolorizing your carried gear and you're still casting shadows & silhouettes.

If it was meant to give you actual invisibility, then it'd probably say something like "when you wear this, everyone treats you as if they're blindfiring."
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon)
Maybe a lesser example would help.

If I'm in the desert and wearing desert camo, then people have a penalty to spot me. However, if I'm in the same outfit and brawling with some guy out on the open sands, he's not going to be at any penalties.

Umm, an example involving ranged combat would help. rotfl.gif
Azralon
Okay, we're standing in a jungle clearing. I'm wearing camo fatigues and I shoot you in the face.

You saw it coming; no penalties. wink.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (Azralon)
Okay, we're standing in a jungle clearing. I'm wearing camo fatigues and I shoot you in the face.

You saw it coming; no penalties. wink.gif

Very nice. On the flip side...

You're standing in the jungle, wearing camo fatigues, and I shoot you in the face. smile.gif

I saw you coming; no penalties. wink.gif
Azralon
Simplicity and symmetry. My favorites!
blakkie
QUOTE (BlackHat)
QUOTE (Azralon @ Nov 29 2005, 01:32 AM)

You saw it coming; no penalties.  wink.gif

Very nice. On the flip side...

You're standing in the jungle, wearing camo fatigues, and I shoot you in the face. smile.gif

I saw you coming; no penalties. wink.gif

Then Azralon needs better camo fatigues.....
Azralon
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 29 2005, 12:13 PM)

But, I like green.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 29 2005, 12:13 PM)

But, I like green.

Ya, but maybe if you find some fatigues that provide a closer match to the greens in the environment you are in? wink.gif
Azralon
Actually, if we're all getting shot in the face we need camo helmets more than anything.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon)
Actually, if we're all getting shot in the face we need camo helmets more than anything.

Certainly need something if the shooter is going to be using twink Called Shots. Perhaps a full body suit might have a hood (given the fiction SR is obviously based off of)? Besides it being harder to correctly predict movement of the head if it is harder to determine center of gravity and body positioning.
Wireknight
In SR3, attacks against critters with the "adaptive coloration" power active faced a +2 TN# penalty on the success test due to the blurring effect's breaking of the target's outline and resultant difficulty discerning vitals versus extremities. Since there's been pretty much a 1:1 shift of TN# penalty to dicepool penalty, if you wanted characters with chameleon suits to gain the same benefits, I'd say that -2 dicepool would probably be a good modifier for the effect.
Azralon
QUOTE (BlackHat)
Arg! Silly GM! biggrin.gif If the drapes could stop a bullet, I could see them being cover... but otherwise, I'd know where he's at, and what his general body-shape is.. .but yeah, I see your point.

I kept reminding myself to mention this, but then kept promptly forgetting:

When attacking a target you can't see (blindfire), you don't use your Agility + skill. You use Intuition + skill (and then take the -6 on top of that).
RunnerPaul
Almost entirely unrelated to the topic at hand, but not quite: High School Girl Sent Home for Wearing Camo Outfit
Azralon
Outstanding.

Actually, it fits just as well in the "Girl Scout street gang" posts you recently made. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012