Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reading Dragons of the Sixth World
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowDragon8685
First and foremost, what's up with Hestaby? Her write-up in the Dot6W is... Acidic and biased, to say the least. I won't dispute that it's probably true, those bits about hoarding power (that's what dragons do best; tell me you woulden't and don't do your own form of hoarding, and I'll find you a yellow puppy-dragon,) and the "nessessay casualties" were true. Others have gone far farther, of course, and into every life a little collateral damage must splash.

But what was that bit about 'trading another metahuman to another Great Dragon, whose chewed-off arm was later found?' I mean, I know it happened, I remember others writing of that event, but can someone give me the low-down on what exactly that was about? I think the dragon was Loffy; why would Hestaby, who seems to hate old Loffy about as much as.... Everybody not affiliated with Saeder-Krupp Heavy Industries... provide him with hours derves?

Also, why do dragons seem to like eating metahumans so much? Sure, it's an effective intimidation tool, but hasen't that got to be nasty? And woulden't incinerating them in a blast of dragonfire by just as effective? Or shredding them in one swipe with a claw? Or sitting on them.

Or, heck, just assuming Metahuman form and capping them, old-school style? I mean, when a Great Dragon feels the need to cap you face-to-meta-face, that's a bit of a sick honor, isen't it? It says they respect your ass enough to execute you in as familar a fasion as possible.
Ancient History
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

But what was that bit about 'trading another metahuman to another Great Dragon, whose chewed-off arm was later found?'

Hestaby traded Glasgian Oakforest to Lofwyr. Glasgian pissed him off, see.

Also, why do dragons seem to like eating metahumans so much? Sure, it's an effective intimidation tool, but hasen't that got to be nasty? And woulden't incinerating them in a blast of dragonfire by just as effective? Or shredding them in one swipe with a claw? Or sitting on them.

Intimidation, mostly. Dragons prefer higher calorie critters like sheep and cattle and cave crabs.

That, and it's traditional. Really.
caramel frappuccino
Mmm, metahumans.
Dog
Anybody in body armor is a special treat. It's like lobster.

I'd start with the first crack about eating metahumans, but... nevermind.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 29 2005, 04:09 AM)

But what was that bit about 'trading another metahuman to another Great Dragon, whose chewed-off arm was later found?'

Hestaby traded Glasgian Oakforest to Lofwyr. Glasgian pissed him off, see.

Intimidation, mostly. Dragons prefer higher calorie critters like sheep and cattle and cave crabs.

That, and it's traditional. Really.

Yes, but Hestaby and Loftwyr are, if not enemies, definately rivals looking for a chance to spurn one another.

What did he do to piss Hestaby off so bad that she forked him over to her rival for hours derves?
FiveVenoms
If I had to venture a theory, Glasgian vs. Hestaby probably had very little to do with it, unless a dragon expert (cough, cough, AH) wanted to come forward. I'd imagine in the grand scheme of things, the Great Dragons probably have more to offer each other than anyone else could, and regardless of whatever animosity exists between Llofwyr and Hestaby, there are two things to consider:

a) In a stand up, knock-down fight, Lofwyr is considered one of the leading contenders in the
Great Dragon Circuit. The only other ones who I've generally seen that could be considered his equals are Ghostwalker and (maybe) Lung. That buys you some respect.

b) They can't hate each other that much; Lofwyr offered to mate with Hestaby once.

Plus, that whole sequence of Dragons of the Sixth Age was written by a self-admitted Hestaby hater.
caramel frappuccino
IIRC, Hestaby exchanged Glasgian for Lofwyr's seat as a Tir Prince.
Dog
QUOTE (FiveVenoms)

b) They can't hate each other that much; Lofwyr offered to mate with Hestaby once.

Dude, that don't prove nuthin.
Seems to me the only women that really hate me are some that I offered to "mate" with. biggrin.gif
Critias
[ Spoiler ]

And who's to say givin' him Oakforest Junior, wasn't also a way to quietly insult Lofwyr? "You can't go get him yourself, so I'll give him to you. Poor Lofwyr, all that money and power and you still can't manage to kill whoever you want."
ShadowDragon8685
Hoooookay. He busted up dragon eggs, and eating him was the worst they could come up with?....

Loffie's getting soft.
Halabis
And Lowfy wanted Glasgian because he tried to kill some dragon eggs. Its not like Hestaby didnt have a good reason for turning him over.
Critias
See, and here I'm tryin' to be nice and not mention the whole "busting up dragon eggs" thing outside of some warm, comfy, spoiler tags... and you guys go an' ruin it.
Halabis
That book is only what? a decade and a half old. not my fault if someone is behind on their reading =P
SL James
QUOTE (FiveVenoms)

So what? The Villiers have a kid together, but that doesn't mean they would hesitate to eviscerate each other first chance they got. Even moreso, like those two, it's a simple matter of a business arrangement, nothing more. "Hey, between us we could produce an heir who would be able to rule the world 10,000 years from now. Whadya say?"
Synner
QUOTE (Halabis)
And Lowfy wanted Glasgian because he tried to kill some dragon eggs. Its not like Hestaby didnt have a good reason for turning him over.

Or that she didn't get something else out of the exchange...
hobgoblin
the enemy of my enemy is my friend...
(atleast for the moment)

the above statement covers most of this kind of stuff.
just look at the unlikely partners of WW2, and what came after...
SL James
Or what came way before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012