Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Toxins and defense
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ogbendog
many of the chemical agents on page 246 have 2 vectors, inhalation and contact.

what if the victim has 1 of chemical protecion or a repirator? do they get the bonus dice if they just have one?

what if they have both, do they get the bonus dice from both? added? the higher, the lower?

stevebugge
I think this is a GM discretion situation, I would use whichever modifier is more applicable to the toxin delivery method.

Example: a Toxin which works by either Inhalation or Contact, the Toxin itself has been smeared on a door handle, and the Character is wearing a gas mask. The gas mask isn't going to help in this case (unless the Character is Sniffing the door handle), so no bonus for the gas mask if the Character grabs the door handle.

If the charcater demands the bonus from the gas mask make him role a bizrre test to open a door with his nose while wearing a gas mask.
ogbendog
a gas grenade would effect you both by skin contact and by inhalation.

I've been told in the case of CS, even with a gasmask on, you won't breath any, but it will get on you skin and be itchy etc.

I'd be inclinced to rule for a gas grenade that you average them, so if you only have 1, you get 1/2 of it
stevebugge
I'd go with the lower of the two if it affects both equally. A defensive barrier is only as good as it's weakest part.

[edit]Admittedly the rules in general do tend to support averaging ratings however[/edit]
TheHappyAnarchist
I second the lower of the two ratings. The only way they will both be in effect is massive contact, and in that case if you skin is up to snuff, you are still huffin fumes, and if you have a gasmask, that doesn't make your tshirt good enough.
ogbendog
althought it's been my personal experience, that with a gas mask you are less effected by CS.

the lung vector hoses you much faster than the skin vector. But maybe by 2070 that's not an issue smile.gif
Nkari
And depending on how warm/sweaty/air humidity the CS works better worse, Cold dry air and the character has not done something physically straining and wearing a gasmask/rebreather+goggles I would give the full, if the character just ran 500m, in baking hot sun with a ton of humidity, I would apply half, since its crap annoying when its like that.. trust me. nyahnyah.gif
Apathy
QUOTE (ogbendog)
althought it's been my personal experience, that with a gas mask you are less effected by CS.

the lung vector hoses you much faster than the skin vector. But maybe by 2070 that's not an issue smile.gif

Agreed. It's a lot easier to aim while trying to ignore itchy, burning skin than to aim while coughing uncontrolably.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012