Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Resistance & Critter Powers?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kraav
Hi peeps,

Long time 2nd and 3rd edition player here. I have a question regarding SR4 Positive Qualities.

Magic Resistance Quality, are the dice bonus gained with this quality applied to a characters chance to resist Critter powers where applicable? ie Accident or Fear.

I would rule yes on any magical type critter power that will affect the character but I cannot see any specific example under critters or counterspelling or spell resistance tests.

Demon_Bob
On a slightly ralated topic
Does counterspelling work against critter powers, or just the ones listed as innate spell?
Azralon
QUOTE (Demon_Bob)
Does counterspelling work against critter powers, or just the ones listed as innate spell?

Just Innate and critters with actual spellcasting (like a vamp mage).

If it's not a real spell, Counterspelling doesn't affect it.
TheHappyAnarchist
I believe in SR3 they actually specifically mention only Innate Spell and actual spellcasting were included to magic resistance. I imagine other powers are more biology that is allowed by magic as opposed to actually channeling a magic effect.

Much like a Trolls dermal armor, which is allowed by the higher magic levels, but is still biological in nature. Not channeling mana, in a way that can be counterspelled or resisted. I imagine the other critter powers are the same, any that do channel mana do it in an unrefined way that is so unlike spellcasting that counterspell and magic resistance don't apply.
Kraav
Ah I found the answer.

I re-read the paragraph regarding Magical Resistance on page 79 SR4.

A magically resistant character can not choose to lower his magical resistance; it affects ALL spells and MAGICAL effects, good or bad.

So by that wording I would say that magic resistance dice apply vs any spell or magical effect (including critter powers that are magic in nature) So in my example both Accident and Fear critter power are magical in nature and therefore a character with magical resistance would benefit from his MR.
Rotbart van Dainig
Just, technically, it doesn't even do a thing in non-spell situations, since it only gives more dice on Spell Resistance... indifferent.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012