Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reading...A matter of taste?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pendaric
A topic for discussion really:
Do you use Read/Write as a stand alone knowledge skill or as a specialization of the root language, for the purposes of increaseing with Good Karma?
This is for SR3. So any takers?
Wiz In Red
We usually do read/write at language skill -2 unless there is a reason for it to be different (background, edges&flaws). That's just us. This of course does not apply to any skillsofts.
Pendaric
Sounds good. Is that core language or highest specialization? Just that I have noticed a few hermetics walking around with R/W 2 due to having English 4 magespeak.
Wiz In Red
Root language for us, but to each his own.
Smiley
We've always done the Read/Write as a knowledge skill that the player gets automatically at half the language knowledge skill. Like If my PhysAd spent the points to know German at 4 during chargen, he'd automatically get German Read/Write at 2, plus whatever extra points he wants to throw at it.
FrankTrollman
I don't even use the Read/Write skills and never have. Keeping track of a single number for each language is plenty and more than plenty.

-Frank
Chibu
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
I don't even use the Read/Write skills and never have. Keeping track of a single number for each language is plenty and more than plenty.

-Frank

I agree. We have always uses Lagguage skills to be "Speak and read". I find that (IRL) learning how to speak a language makes it pretty easy to learn how to read it. And therefore is taken by default that you know how to read it if you know how to speak it. In fact, if a character wanted to take wpeaking, and not reading (not vice versa, because it doean't make much sense except for obscure languages that the character has never heard spoken) I's make it a specialization of the language.

But that's just me ^-^
Pendaric
Good points, thanks.
I guess am harsh then. As cannon has the iconographic matrix eroding literacy, the oppertunity to stiff the players via another avenue of language seems...valid biggrin.gif
Just as the Cityspeak spewing ganger or Tir heiress with perfect diction in spethirel, poses a problem. Utiliesing every skill is my general agenda, mostly for depth and colour.
Just to redirect the thread a little to the original question. For the purposes of xp karma , not character gen, stand alone knowledge skill or specialization.
Would sight a current thread on the boards on social skills but looks a little intense for a quiet debate. indifferent.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (Chibu)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Dec 6 2005, 02:46 PM)

-Frank

I agree. We have always uses Lagguage skills to be "Speak and read". I find that (IRL) learning how to speak a language makes it pretty easy to learn how to read it. And therefore is taken by default that you know how to read it if you know how to speak it. In fact, if a character wanted to take wpeaking, and not reading (not vice versa, because it doean't make much sense except for obscure languages that the character has never heard spoken) I's make it a specialization of the language.

But that's just me ^-^

Try learning Japanese as a European. Enough spoken language to survive a holliday outside a resort is doable with resonable time. Learning the skript...

Birdy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012