Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cheops
First, can Technomancers use their living persona if they are physically jacked into something? I don't remember seeing anything about this.

Second, do they only need a datajack?

Finally, I have some questions about devices. I know that drones can have system, firewall, pilot, and response ratings but could you put these onto any electronic and/or wireless device? Like say cyberarms, eyes, smartguns, etc.

I want to know if there are any canon interpretations of these rules which I have missed not any house rules. (But go ahead and discuss anyway).
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Cheops)
First, can Technomancers use their living persona if they are physically jacked into something? I don't remember seeing anything about this.

Sure. Their living persona is just like any other persona, and can transmit through any connection.

Second, do they only need a datajack?

They always have a Sim Module, so yes. (p. 233)

Finally, I have some questions about devices.  I know that drones can have system, firewall, pilot, and response ratings but could you put these onto any electronic and/or wireless device?  Like say cyberarms, eyes, smartguns, etc.

Yep. Indeed, they normally have ratings equal to their device rating. (p. 213)

I want to know if there are any canon interpretations of these rules which I have missed not any house rules.  (But go ahead and discuss anyway).

A thing that I don't think gets a lot of play is the idea of specialized systems. A smartlink or alphaware ultrasound detector might have a firewall and system of 4, but I don't think that should let you crack that code and run your whole commlink off of their sweet OS. A credstick has a response of 6, but I don't think you can break it open and hack with it.

Specialized devices can really apply themselves directly to a specific task, and run those tasks very stably and fast with few (if any) errors. However, these specialized systems gain these sweet matrix attributes by being specialized. It's hard to hack a credstick because it does so very little, not because it's a frickin supercomputer in your pants. The rules don't talk about this, but I think it's really important for people to remember.

-Frank
Jaid
actually, technomancers don't even need a datajack at all.

apparently they have built-in wireless capability in their head.

which, for the record, has some people on these boards up in arms... i'm sure if you do a search, you'll find threads longer than you likely want to read regarding the impossibility of the matter (unless you just write it off as being magic, that is, in which case all agree it is possible... although there is no indication of technomancers being magic-based in any way).

however, regardless of possibility or impossibility in reality, in terms of game mechanics, all a technomancer needs is something to store data in. considering that in 2070 that something could be their clothing, their armor, their gun, any cyberware they might own, or a teammate's gear, generally speaking that isn't an issue. heck, if they really got desparate, they could probably store stuff in the walls, floor, etc, of some buildings.
Drace
Actually, with trodes and nanopaste no one needs datajacks anymore
FrankTrollman
I think the original question was about getting a physical wired connection to something so that you couldn't be jammed or disrupted. If the question was instead "can they do without a datajack?" the answer is yes to that as well.

Getting a Datajack and a Control Rig as a technomancer is totally sweet, but not necessary if your technomancy plan is to be a hacker who doubleteams nodes with a registered Crack Sprite while you run 10 complex forms and have an actual Commlink that runs Medic, Track, Defuse, Decrypt, Databomb, and anything else you don't need to run constantly.

If your technomancy plan is to overclock yourself ASAP, and plug yourself directly into a T-bird and get 4 actions a turn with a VTOL with an assault cannon, then that Datajack is looking pretty good.

-Frank
Feshy
A thing that I don't think gets a lot of play is the idea of specialized systems. A smartlink or alphaware ultrasound detector might have a firewall and system of 4, but I don't think that should let you crack that code and run your whole commlink off of their sweet OS. A credstick has a response of 6, but I don't think you can break it open and hack with it.

Specialized devices can really apply themselves directly to a specific task, and run those tasks very stably and fast with few (if any) errors. However, these specialized systems gain these sweet matrix attributes by being specialized. It's hard to hack a credstick because it does so very little, not because it's a frickin supercomputer in your pants. The rules don't talk about this, but I think it's really important for people to remember.

This is something that has been bothering me. According to the rules, those specialized systems really ARE just commlinks, and you are even encouraged to load them up with cutting edge IC. But I can't imagine why a White Noise Generator 6 (300 nuyen.gif ) can run the same bleeding-edge IC as a completely customized, maxed-out, top-of-the-line Commlink with all settings rating 6 (17,000 nuyen.gif ). Yet according to the rules on 213, I can do just that. I never really liked that. Especially given that anyone who's broken the copy protection on their software (that is, essentially everyone) can load up 6 copies of that IC into every bit of gear on or in their bodies.
Feshy
and have an actual Commlink that runs Medic, Track, Defuse, Decrypt, Databomb, and anything else you don't need to run constantly.

Or... not, as it would require you to take the Cracking and Electronics skill groups twice. p. 233 essentially says technomancer versions of these skills are "fundamentally different" than the hacker versions; thus to use an ordinary commlink in an ordinary hacker way, you would presumably need both "versions." Just thread any programs you don't run often enough to pay the (very high) complex form cost for.
mfb
yeah. it might have been better to rename the technomancer skills, since they are different skills. it's easy enough to just say, in the technomancer rules, "whenever a roll of [Skill X] is called for, technomancers may use [Skill Y] when using their living persona".
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Feshy)

This is something that has been bothering me. According to the rules, those specialized systems really ARE just commlinks, and you are even encouraged to load them up with cutting edge IC. But I can't imagine why a White Noise Generator 6 (300 nuyen.gif ) can run the same bleeding-edge IC as a completely customized, maxed-out, top-of-the-line Commlink with all settings rating 6 (17,000 nuyen.gif ). Yet according to the rules on 213, I can do just that. I never really liked that. Especially given that anyone who's broken the copy protection on their software (that is, essentially everyone) can load up 6 copies of that IC into every bit of gear on or in their bodies.

Yes, You can load defensive IC onto this gear in order tp protect it, it is a node. What it is missing that the much more expensive commlink has is the ability to PROJECT A PERSONA. It can't handle the VR Or AR interface with a User, It can't allow you to access other sites via itself, It can run an Agent (IC) but that agent can't leave the node. So in effect, Like any other node on the matrix it is a place for things to be, but commlinks are unique in their ability to Take you there.
blakkie
It's come up before, and my thoughts on the subject to reconcile very high device ratings vs. cheap manufacture. Basically specialized nature allows them to perform that task at a higher rating with much less hardware and much simpler software, but does not allow them to perform other tasks.

While this explaination IS NOT in the RAW, allowing for it to guide setting devices is:

QUOTE (page 213)
Unless it has been customized or changed in some way,
assume that each of the Matrix attributes listed above for a particular
device equals its Device rating.
If a particular device plays an important role in an adventure,
the gamemaster should assign a full complement of
Matrix attributes to it. If the item only

So basically if it actually matters the GM is encouraged to go ahead and adjust individual ratings as seen fit. I take that to mean that a player being a weenie and trying to exploit a loophole (for example trying to crack into credsticks from miles away) becomes the trigger for the GM to modify the ratings to appropriate levels. Or just flatout [non-RAW specified] gimp the device if they are claiming to use it as a commlink substitute.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Feshy)
Especially given that anyone who's broken the copy protection on their software (that is, essentially everyone) can load up 6 copies of that IC into every bit of gear on or in their bodies.

Wouldn't running 6 pieces of IC on your smartlink, should the event ever come up, run 6 times the risk of one of them critically glitching and, say, crashing your smartlink for the near future?

I'm not a big fan of being able to run programs on dedicated pieces of gear. I understand that the Rating translates over into the firewall, etc for the equipment, but the thought of packing IC into my wristwatch in case anyone wants to h4xx0r the time seems a little ridiculous.
Feshy
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Dec 7 2005, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE (Feshy @ Dec 7 2005, 07:54 AM)

Yes, You can load defensive IC onto this gear in order tp protect it, it is a node. What it is missing that the much more expensive commlink has is the ability to PROJECT A PERSONA. It can't handle the VR Or AR interface with a User, It can't allow you to access other sites via itself, It can run an Agent (IC) but that agent can't leave the node. So in effect, Like any other node on the matrix it is a place for things to be, but commlinks are unique in their ability to Take you there.

Well, let's look at what is missing:

Ability to project AR / VR -- this is a function of the sim module accessory of the commlink, right? I mean, a commlink without a sim module can't do VR.

Ability to project a persona -- A persona is just an icon with stats (system, firewall, response) -- which IC and agents both have. Since IC and agents can run on the device in question, it seems like it's capable of projecting a persona just fine.

As for not accessing other sites, nor allowing agents (IC) running on the node to access other sites, I have to disagree. Normal nodes do not have this restriction -- plus, it would mean that there was no such thing as trace IC (which has to search out information on distant nodes to work.)

In other words, I don't think the reasons you list are correct. Don't get me wrong, I'm *not* arguing that you should be able to slap a 300 nuyen.gif Sim Module on your 300 nuyen.gif white noise generator. But I'm having difficulty finding where, rules-wise, this would be unsound. If everything, down to the toaster (You know, I'd love to see the options for a rating 6 toaster oven), can run a high-level agent that is nearly as capable as a hacker, well... commlinks start to look very over-priced for the limited extra functionality they bring over that toaster.

Or, maybe I'm just upset because my commlink keeps burning my waffles.

Edit:
I'm not a big fan of being able to run programs on dedicated pieces of gear. I understand that the Rating translates over into the firewall, etc for the equipment, but the thought of packing IC into my wristwatch in case anyone wants to h4xx0r the time seems a little ridiculous.

Yea, that's basically what I'm thinking too.
Shrike30
QUOTE (blakkie)
So basically if it actually matters the GM is encouraged to go ahead and adjust individual ratings as seen fit. I take that to mean that a player being a weenie and trying to exploit a loophole (for example trying to crack into credsticks from miles away) becomes the trigger for the GM to modify the ratings to appropriate levels.

I'd missed that nifty little detail... I think I'm going to start saying devices which honestly weren't intended to run things like IC have a much lower System rating than their Rating (read, 1), and that System is tied up Piloting the device through it's normal functions. Yeah, they can load more stuff onto it, but at a -1 per extra thing running...
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Feshy)

Well, let's look at what is missing:

Ability to project AR / VR -- this is a function of the sim module accessory of the commlink, right? I mean, a commlink without a sim module can't do VR.

Ability to project a persona -- A persona is just an icon with stats (system, firewall, response) -- which IC and agents both have. Since IC and agents can run on the device in question, it seems like it's capable of projecting a persona just fine.

As for not accessing other sites, nor allowing agents (IC) running on the node to access other sites, I have to disagree. Normal nodes do not have this restriction -- plus, it would mean that there was no such thing as trace IC (which has to search out information on distant nodes to work.)

In other words, I don't think the reasons you list are correct. Don't get me wrong, I'm *not* arguing that you should be able to slap a 300 nuyen.gif Sim Module on your 300 nuyen.gif white noise generator. But I'm having difficulty finding where, rules-wise, this would be unsound. If everything, down to the toaster (You know, I'd love to see the options for a rating 6 toaster oven), can run a high-level agent that is nearly as capable as a hacker, well... commlinks start to look very over-priced for the limited extra functionality they bring over that toaster.

Or, maybe I'm just upset because my commlink keeps burning my waffles.

Edit:

Yea, that's basically what I'm thinking too.

Yes, but a commlink without a sim module can do AR, and said toaster can't. I suppose you could attach a sim modulae to your toaster, but Why?

No, a persona is actually much more than just an Icon with stats. It is also your point of obsservation in full VR, the "YOU" that is there and thething which you interact with the matrix. A commlink is a unique peice of gear in that it is simultaneously a "Place" or node that someone can occupy in the matrix, and a "Person" Or icon which can be places. All other devices are just places you can be.

Similarly, these devices can run an agent on them, but due to the item's inability to project a persona into other nodes (since it is not a commlink), that IC can only function within the node of the item iteslf.

Now it can send and receive information with other nodes in the matrix, but it can only do so in the very specific ways required by it's device type. The "Other Nodes don't have the same restriction" thing is because your average Node on the Matrix IS a commlink, or similar device. Corporations don't run their networks on Toasters, they run them on Server farms of commlink-like devices.

You do have me a bit stuped on Trace IC in that I'm not entirely sure how it is supposed to function. If it funtions by querying the cellular network for data and processing it, then I'd allow it to work on any device. If it actively hunts down the information itself, then I'd say, like other programs, It's only usable within the node of the limited device, meaning functionally it's useless. Concept 1 works with the RAW, Concept 2 is a house rule ( actually, unless wireless world clarifies the issues, these all border on house rules. But only because there is no RAW to go on.)

Anyway, It's important to note that without a persona or agent to direct them, programs cannot be used at all. So in order to get anything to run on your toaster you will need either an agent or to be jacked into it yourself. And in theory you could be jacked into your toaster if you wanted to, just that you'd not be able to do anything except within the toaster's node.

To sum up, even though devices have the full set of commlink ratings, and they can run programs, I belive they cannot be used as commlinks because they lack the crucial interface between man and matrix, the capability to project a persona. It's a simply, workable solution that doesn't conflict with the RAW and doesn't require any reworking of the way the matrix works.
Cheops
As far as my question about Technomancers go I was trying to figure out what they would actually need and be able to do in a completely wired, old fashioned matrix system. Not wireless. Ie, incredibly secure corporate compound that only uses dedicated, land line systems to prevent wireless interception and hacking.

And for devices, while the topic has been interesting before, I was assuming that everything only had really low ratings anyway and you modified the device to have better ratings.

Specifically, a hacker with cyberlegs, arms and torso, and a neck brace who slaps pilot, system, signal and firewall on his limbs and then goes VR. If he also has a control rig he can now run his body at IP 3 with +2 dice. Plus the body parts would then also be able to use Autosofts such as Maneuver and Defense and generally run themselves while the hacker hacks the opposing commlinks.

The other notion was a sam who was remotely controlled by a rigger or hacker. The sam could basically just slot a BTL while the rigger controls him and wakes up with wounds. Or the sam controls his own actions until he gets to say a maglock and then the hacker takes over his arms and uses the Hardware or Lockpicking skills remotely.

This all gets even nastier if a Technomancer is the one controlling things and is using machine sprites to supplement.

It's the ultimate control actions spell!
Valentinew
QUOTE (Cheops)
As far as my question about Technomancers go I was trying to figure out what they would actually need and be able to do in a completely wired, old fashioned matrix system. Not wireless. Ie, incredibly secure corporate compound that only uses dedicated, land line systems to prevent wireless interception and hacking.

I thought there was something in the sticky-ed thread re: hacking about this.

IIRC, the consensus seemed to be that even a techno would carry around at least a basic commlink (to broadcast required info), but that they would not require anyhting to hook up to the commlink themselves.

I think it was also said (or maybe I just figured) that you could basically plug your commlink into an old wired system & run that way....
nick012000
Of course, there's nothing stopping a rigger-technomancer from buying a commlink and running IC on it to protect him while he's running around the Matrix. No need to risk fading for sprites, just run IC! nyahnyah.gif

EDIT: Actually, thinking about this a bit more, a technomancer can become a decent 'mundane' hacker fairly easily, if he's willing to have a Rating 5+ Machine Sprite use its Diagnostics power on his commlink, so he adds about 2/3 of its Rating to all of his test with it (all of its hits on a 2xRating test). I say Rating 5+ because its there you begin emulating a decent skill level.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012