Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have any info on Shadowrun Egypt
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BetaFlame
Hi smile.gif

A friend directed me here, and I was looking for some help.

During all the craziness in the world, what happens in Egypt? I'm looking to make a Full Magician originating from that area, and any information that can be provided would be helpful? I know someone with an assortment of books, but I don't even know were to begin.

Generalized canon current events would be appricated. I would assume the followers of the old Gods would gain more power, as that seems to be the norm. Which might result in a war with the Muslims?

Does Egypt fall under the protection of Aden?

Thank you.
Ancient History
Adding a question mark does not make a statement a question. smile.gif

That aside, you can find bits about Egypt scattered throughout recent sourcebooks, particularly Target: Wastelands (focusing on parts of North Africa) and Shadows of Asia (which includes the Middle East). Some references to Egypt and Islam are included in Loose Alliances. Smaller references were made in Year of the Comet, Sprawl Survival Guide, Heka magicians in magic in the Shadows, etc.
Dog
Only thing I can think of from the top of my (currently rum-soaked) head is that desert wars takes place partly in Egypt. Couldn't refer you to a source for that.

Oh, and since you're new, you can pretty much take anything Ancient History says as fact. (AH is channelling the late Mr. Findley.)
FrostyNSO
The Desert Wars take place in the Lybian Desert.

Wasn't somebody trying to rebuild the Great Library of Alexandria...I don't know where I heard that, could be BS...but might make for a non-canon plot hook?
ShadowDragon8685
IIRC, the Library of Alexandria has been rebuilt, three times. The last one was in modern times, and you bet your sweet ass they installed a comprehensive fire prevention & defeating system, as well as took the precaution of installing everything irreplacable both as electronic scans and the hardcopies go into a vault you'd need a strategic nuke to crack.
Dog
Ah, well... right continent, anyway. dead.gif

FrostyNSO
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
IIRC, the Library of Alexandria has been rebuilt, three times. The last one was in modern times, and you bet your sweet ass they installed a comprehensive fire prevention & defeating system, as well as took the precaution of installing everything irreplacable both as electronic scans and the hardcopies go into a vault you'd need a strategic nuke to crack.

Hmmm...I'm just familiar with that one they erected IRL on the site in like 2003 or somesuch. Are there any mentions in SR canon or am I out of it tonight?
ShadowDragon8685
I may have recalled incorrectly, note. The most I remember was a bit on the History Channel about it.

Ancient History
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Are there any mentions in SR canon or am I out of it tonight?

According to Dragons of the Sixth World, Masaru helps fund the New Library of Alexandria.
SL James
Isn't there also something about it in Target: Awakened Lands?
Deamon_Knight
IIRC After Lybia Chem attacks Israel, Israel responds by nuking Lybia to kingdom come. Egypt lays claim to the wasteland, although I don't know why they want the glowing desert remains. Technically, the Desert Wars do take place in the "Lybian" desert, but since Lybia has, for all intents and purposes, ceased to exist, its Egyptian territory.
Dranem
I checked out The Sixth World Wiki (often a good source for finding compiled info from various books), but it doesn't say much. Outside of the references already provided, I can't really add much - Egypt still stands as it;s own country, it's border haven't changed much in size.

Seeing as your new to SR, the Wiki might be a good source of information for you: The Sixth World Wiki

Check it out! smile.gif
FlakJacket
The Wiki doesn't seem all that up to date for Egypt or in general since it's a couple books behind now. Keep meaning to start doing some updates for it but never get round to it.

But anyway, Egypt. Off the top of my head Sprawl Survival Guide, Target: Awakened Lands and Year of the Comet are the main books with a couple passing mentiones elsewhere. From memory the place is meant to be fairly moderate compared to the rest of Arabia and the Middle East. Much like today, Cairo as the largest city in the region is one of the largest culturally influencing cities - what their intellectuals and commentators say and write can often have a larger effect.

Egypt annexed Libya after the Israeli nuclear retaliation and now rents the scorched area out to the corps for them to play Desert Wars in.

When the comet showed up a lot of alchera, funky mysterious astral buildings and constructs that also materialise physically, of ancient Egyptian buildinds started appearting in the Nile valley as well as people claiming to have past life experiences of ancient Egypt and able to speak the dead language. This lead to an increase in some people going back to ancient relgions which got the local Mullahs a little bit pissed off. I'll post more if I can remember anything.
BetaFlame
Thank you all for the information. Sorry it took so long to get back here... real life gets in the way sometimes.
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (Deamon_Knight)
Technically, the Desert Wars do take place in the "Lybian" desert, but since Lybia has, for all intents and purposes, ceased to exist, its Egyptian territory.

[Asshole mode on]"Libya" and "Libyan"[Asshole mode off] nyahnyah.gif

And yeah, you're right, the Libyan desert is part of Egypt now (you'll notice that Sinai no longer belongs to Egypt and Egypt's eastern border is the Red Sea and Suez Canal). smile.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (BetaFlame)
Thank you all for the information. Sorry it took so long to get back here... real life gets in the way sometimes.

No need to excuse for being two days away wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012