Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: About Otaku...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
Do they still exist in SR4? And assuming they don't, what would be the difference between them and technomancers if they did?
Tanka
Otaku have become Technomancers, more or less.
emo samurai
So... they're basically the same?
Adarael
Basically, aside from the fact that they now have a 'resonance' stat that works like Magic, in that cyberware decreases it.

So if you had an otaku who got cranial booster to improve his decking ability, he's now worse than he would've been without it, not better.
Jaid
that all depends on how you look at it.

the cerebral booster may be worth the loss of resonance, depending on what you plan on doing.

just as a physical adept would actually lose less magic than it would cost to get improved initiative 3 if they had a level 3 snyaptic booster. while the synaptic booster does drop their magic, as long as it drops it by less than 5 points (which it does) they are actually gaining virtual magic points in a sense.

just as an example, of course...
Tanka
They're the same in the same line of thought that they don't need anything other than their brains (and a datajack in 3rd Ed) to connect to the Matrix.

Outside of that? They're almost completely different, rules-wise.
Drace
Otaku and TMs are basically the same story wise, just updated to the wireless world of SR4.

And even in SR3, cranial upgrades weakened a otaku's living persona.

On the same note, how are more Technomancers created? Do Technomancer Tribes go around, find orphans, and attach them to commlinks via trodes when they are deamed ready, much like the Otaku did with datajacks, and hope they have a communion with the deep resonance?
Huichok
The question is not whether they exist in SR4, but why wouldn't they? There probably are not as many around as in '64, but I don't see why there wouldn't be some still left.
mfb
the events of System Crash changed all otaku. apparently, even if they were offline at the time. there are no pre-System Crash styled otaku in SR4.
Huichok
QUOTE (mfb)
the events of System Crash changed all otaku. apparently, even if they were offline at the time. there are no pre-System Crash styled otaku in SR4.

According to the SR4 rulebook "most of the young otaku of old had also
undergone a transformation" and became technomancers. Most, not all. And from what I'm reading about the System Crash not everyone, and I assume that means otaku as well, was affected by it. I definitely don't see how they could have been changed if they were offline. It's also possible that "pre-System Crash styled otaku" could end up being listed in SR4 matrix supplement (on my knees praying).
mfb
er, oh, oh. where is my brain today?

there are no SR3-style otaku because the Resonance has been changed. the Resonance is what gives otaku and technomancers their abilities, and the Resonance is different, now. it's like trying to use a disk with the wrong format in your computer; the otakus' brains have been modified in a way that is no longer a viable means of tapping into the Resonance.
2Jack
But if an Otaku hasn't changed due to the system crash exposure, wouldn't he have faded by now anyway?
mfb
it's only been 5 years, man.
2Jack
But how old could that Otaku have been when he started out?
12? Then he would be 17 in 2070.
Critias
Right. If he was 13, he'd now be 18. 14? 19.

This is fun!
mfb
the fading doesn't start until the otaku is 21. and it's pretty easy to resist, for the first few years. it's easily conceivable to have a 30-year old otaku, though most of his abilities will have faded.
Adarael
Critias, some day you'll respond to a post sans sarcasm, and I swear to you I'll die of a heart attack out of shock.
Critias
Everyone needs a hobby (if he was 15, he'd be 20!). DS is how I unwind on my breaks at work.
Adarael
So... What you're saying is that if he was 16, he'd be 21?
FrankTrollman
I think what he's saying is that Pax is totally legal now.

-Frank
bclements
I thought that Pax was pretty damn legal in SR3 times (post Threats 2, that is). A freaking, gothy, near BTL riddled legal, but legal nonetheless.

(and if they were 17...)
emo samurai
THEY'D BE 22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But game-wise, what is the difference between otaku and technomancers? Can they use combat programs?
mfb
otaku have Channels, which are basically programs that take the place of all operational utilities (the ones that let you operate a computer, or hack it), and Complex Forms, which take the place of combat and special utilities. otaku use a datajack to connect to the Matrix, and their abilities can be enhanced by cyberware.

technomancers are retarded. their brains somehow (not magic! not magic!) act as living radios, able to send and recieve radio waves and, possibly, other forms of electromagnetic emissions. they use Complex Forms in place of all programs, and are able to increase or decrease the rating of their Forms in a process that is mechanically similar to spellcasting (or it was last time i checked).
Azralon
QUOTE (mfb @ Dec 7 2005, 12:12 PM)
technomancers are retarded

For the record, that's MFB's editorial opinion rather than a game mechanic reality. They don't have inherent Mental Attribute penalties or anything. smile.gif
mfb
semantics!
Azralon
QUOTE (mfb)
semantics!

Hyperbole. smile.gif
stevebugge
Careful the PC Thought Police will come after you for being Anti-Semantic

And if you were 18 you's be 23
emo samurai
So, like, are they more or less awesome than normal deckers?
Valentinew
You mean technos?

It depends. I think so, but mine is just one opinion. Others seem to think that you have to spend too many points on the techno stuff to be any good with anything else.

I chose to try out a techno because they have, imo, more flexibility than deckers. (It's the same reason, I like D&D sorcerors better than wizards, but that's just me.)

The biggest difference seems to be that for a decker, you spend BP on nuyen.gif and then buy your cyber & programs. For a techno, your BP buy the techno quality, your Resonance, & your complex forms (programs).

Just my opinion.
Tanka
It's a lot harder to be a Combat Technomancer than a Combat Hacker. Can't get any of the nifty cyberware/bioware without taking a hit to your Resonance.

So, they about even out, IMO.

(Though I'm not sure how a brain connects to a wireless signal without some sort of technological link. Which is why I liked that Otaku needed a 'jack before they could connect in 3rd Ed. Just "being able to" in 4th Ed hurts the logical side of my brain. Magic? Sure, I can kind of believe it. A non-technological bit of tissue connecting to technology without any intermediating technology? Gah!)
Rock_Bottom
Actually, it's pretty easy to be decent at combat as a technomancer. My elf technomancer bought non-implanted version of most of the combat technologies. She uses smartlink/vision mag contact lenses with her smartgun. Her attributes are mostly mental, of course, but the bonus to Agility from being an elf is nice.

It just takes some money to get up there. And hackers and technomancers both make money from hacking--not necessarily from shooting. That's what the other team members are for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012