Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running a skyscraper
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
prionic6
I'm tossing some ideas around about a run into a skyscraper... Many good possibilities: Endless stairways with good opportunities for firefights. lift shafts. Outer walls to climb. The roof! Interconnected offices with own stairs & lifts. You get the picture. I know, all this stuff can be in smaller buildings too, but it's a size difference...

At the moment I am thinking about the extraction of something valuable (insert plot device) from one of the offices. Now, will a skycraper be the property of a certain megacorp or are there many small companies inside one? Do you know of any suitable targets in seattle? The problem with this is, the security can not be too heavy. My team is fairly fresh and only three people: A rigger with drones and some hacking skills; A stealth/acrobatics/electronics girl; And a face that is a magicians way adept.

Any ideas/comments on this?

PS: We are playing 4th Ed. so the game is set in 2070.
mmu1
Yeah... Don't go nuts with fights in stairwells, and be careful with planning a long, running battle there - it sounds fun (and can be fun, if done just right) but in SRs fairly complex initiative system, a combat spread out over a large area, and involving a lot of movement up and down stairways, etc., can easily end up dragging and being monotonous. If one player gets unlucky and ends up a couple of floors away from the action, he might spend two or three rounds just moving.

As far as other fun stuff... Ventilation. A skyscraper is one of the few places where you might legitimately have some ventilation shafts large enough to crawl through, Splinter-Cell style. As well as massive air conditioning units on the roof, making for an interesting entry.

Which reminds me... Here's my suggestion for "sinister corporate skyscraper", if you don't mind using something that doesn't exist in canon: http://www.greatgridlock.net/NYC_Images/nyteletr.html It's the AT&T building in lower Manhattan, and it's just absolutely beautiful as a cyber-punk reference... Granite exterior, no windows, just an undeground parking garage and some massive ventilation shafts near the top.
prionic6
Wow... That thing certainly looks... creepy
Fix-it
NICE. that one gets saved.
Straight Razor
I made a really in depth run around a skyscraper once.
I have a good archeture background so i took a couple weeks and auto CAD ed up 85 floors + 3 subfloors for the main tower, and 3 floors 1 sub for the D&R facaility adjecent to it. I probly put about 100 hrs in designing this game.

so they get the the building. there there to get some info and destroy something in the R&D building. They ended up only ever stepping foot on 2 floors. the top floor and the lobby(don't ask) then they droped 200 K of c12 down the elivator shaft to the bacement.

they got no karma for the run.
stevebugge
Skyscrapers typically are owned by a property development corp with lots of different tenants, notable exceptions being those few around Seattle wholly owned by a AAA Corp (the Mitsuhama Towers for example). In Seattle almost all of the Skyscrapers in the City are in the Downtown Core between the Arcology and Bell Street, and I-5 and the Waterfront, so getting to the Skyscraper in that AAA security zone with many toys will be a tough part of the run too.
Fix-it
notable exceptions being those few around Seattle wholly owned by a AAA Corp (the Mitsuhama Towers for example)

and the Azzie pyramid, and the Renraku Arcology...
Wiz In Red
That's part of the fun...making the characters realize they can't always depend on their favorite toys to get the job done. They might just have to sneak in as wage slaves, carrying their briefcase (the needs-to-be-assembled gun, can't think of the name off hand, no books at work) and whatever else can be legitimately carried into these buildings. It's going to require research and (possibly) the use of their contacts. Ideally, there shouldn't be a shot fired (and this should, IMO, be booku Karma bonus), and nobody should realize the mission ever happened until the team is safely far away from the 'scraper. We actually did a run where we stole an original, hand-written manuscript by Ehran the scribe, in broad daylight, in a skyscraper, and nobody had a clue.
Shrike30
Two words:

Base Jumping.

ork.gif
Backgammon
Honestly, for ALL the skyscraper runs I've done (a few), the players ALWAYS bypass having to go up the thing normally. They elaborate extremely complex plans to arrive directly on the right floor through a window, blow stuff up, you name it.

Don't get your hopes up for a daring adventure going up a building shadowrunner-style. It's againt Player Mentality to let that happen.
Lindt
Can anyone else say "Brutilism?"
It does reek of late 80s punk though. But as far as huge facility things, they just get combersome.
PlatonicPimp
As steve said above, most skyscrapers are filled with several dozen different corporte offices, and the tower itself is owned by a property management group. Sometimes the company that owns the tower has it's offices there too, but only a AAA megacorp would ever fill an entire skyscraper in house.

As both an employee in a skyscraper and an architect, I'd like to note these things.

First, Skyscrapers are the most difficult things to design. Only someone with fairly high architectural or construction knowledge skills is going to make sense of the blueprints. Even then, companies usually rent whole floors, and have the right to lay those floors out however they want, except for the elevator, stair and utility cores. The glass used on the outside of skyscrapers is the strongest glass we can manufacture, because it has to be. Breaking in through a window on the outside will require more than a gunshot or two.

The bottom few floors of a skyscraper are lobby, and retail. They are open to the public. An observation deck near the top is not uncommon. Therefore elevators are open access, though those elevators may only go to certain floors without access codes, keycards , or other authorization devices. Emergency stairs will have similar locks on their doors on the appropriate floors. Security for the tower as a whole will be pretty easy to social engineer your way by, because the larger the place, the more people work there, meaning the more people who might have a legitimate reason to be there. Hell, in my building, They let my wife up to my restricted floor simply because she said I worked here and I wasn't answering my phone. It was a true story, but only thing the guard did to verify her story was come up with her to get me. A runner could use the same story, get alone in an elevator with the guard, wait until he swipes his pass, and then knock him out. Security on the floor itself may be tighter, if they have thier own checkpoints just outside the elevators.

Damn, I could probably ramble on for a long time. I have to get back to designing ways to keep unauthorized people OUT, rather than telling you how to get IN.
Back to work!
Shrike30
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Dec 8 2005, 12:16 PM)
As steve said above, most skyscrapers are filled with several dozen different corporte offices, and the tower itself is owned by a property management group. Sometimes the company that owns the tower has it's offices there too, but only a AAA megacorp would ever fill an entire skyscraper in house.

The Safeco building in my neighborhood is basically a corporate headquarters (that is, there's no other companies in it), and I'd hardly qualify them as being a AAA corporation. Admittedly, it's not a 150 story building (more like 35) but that's still large enough to qualify as a "skyscraper" to anyone looking up at it and thinking "damn, I've got to climb how many stairs?"

It was a big 70s and 80s thing to have your company in this bigass monolithic structure. I get the feeling that any corporation running in the "A" range in Shadowrun might have one of these giant phallic symbols of corporate power, at least in the town they're based out of. The whole "balkanized skyscraper" design is really just another form of real estate investment.
PlatonicPimp
The reason it isn't done that way anymore (ie, it was a 70's and 80's thing) is because it turns out to be massively inefficient to house your entire company in a monolithic structure. The cost of the building is very high, and a more distributed office base responds better to client needs. So the monolithic stucture tower has been replaced with the balkanized tower, which serves all purpoeses wbetter except for Image. After all, It's very Imposing to have your own skyscraper. I say only an AAA corp would fill a skyscraper because only a AAA corp would have an need of that large of a co-ordinating office to manage their various interests.

However, I am using a 50+ story definition of skyscraper in my mind. And real world examples trump design theory. Safeco really has their whole company in one building? Wierd.
Shrike30
Actually, no... they have all of THAT building, and they've got other offices in other buildings around town.

The interesting part of it is, the Safeco building is one of two buildings in the entire University District that is over eight or so stories tall, with the vast majority being 2-3 story houses and apartment buildings that max out around 5... even though it's a little stubby for a skyscraper, the thing *really* stands out in that neighborhood, as you can see it from a few miles away.
The Amazing Mysto
prionic6, I'd imagine security in any skyscraper would be pretty tight. What you could do is give your players a little help with access codes supplied by the johnson and prep them pretty good about the security measures. This way you wouldn't have to comprimise the level of security.

I've always wanted to setup a run in a skyscraper, I periodically look for floorplans online, but so far I havent foundy anything. Does anyone have a link to a site with skyscraper plans?
eidolon
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Two words:

Base Jumping.

ork.gif

One of the characters in our game right now is a big time base jumper.

Last session (me GMing), one of his contacts' contacts (a high-level accountant for Cross Applied) managed to pull some strings and get the security around the Space Needle to look the other way for about 15 minutes.

A dozen guys jumping off the Needle in about 5 minutes. Cool stuff.
PBTHHHHT
I can't help but think of the Die Hard movie, which I'm sure it was talked exhaustively in some old thread somewhere. Not the most accurate of stuff, but still, the fun of running around in a tall office building with fully automatic weapons and saying bad one-liners. lol.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (mmu1)

Which reminds me... Here's my suggestion for "sinister corporate skyscraper", if you don't mind using something that doesn't exist in canon: http://www.greatgridlock.net/NYC_Images/nyteletr.html It's the AT&T building in lower Manhattan, and it's just absolutely beautiful as a cyber-punk reference... Granite exterior, no windows, just an undeground parking garage and some massive ventilation shafts near the top.

Now that is really bad looking, I was looking for a reference to give my players for what the SSID Secretariat headquarters (the Soviet backed Serbian secret police) in Belgrade might look like. An excellent imposing and oppresive icon for a sinister dictatorship. Thanks for the link.
Shrike30
QUOTE (eidolon)
A dozen guys jumping off the Needle in about 5 minutes. Cool stuff.

That actually happened in Seattle a few years back. One of the jumpers broke their leg (and lower spine?) and ended up in the hospital for a bit. I can't remember if they got arrested or not, though.
mmu1
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Dec 8 2005, 11:20 PM)
Now that is really bad looking, I was looking for a reference to give my players for what the SSID Secretariat  headquarters (the Soviet backed Serbian secret police) in Belgrade might look like.  An excellent imposing and oppresive icon for a sinister dictatorship.  Thanks for the link.

Glad to be of help. cool.gif

Oh, and if anyone is interested, here's some more shots of it (some much better than the one I orginally linked to) http://www.nyc-architecture.com/SOH/SOH026.htm There's also a bit of info about the structure of the place.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (The Amazing Mysto)
prionic6, I'd imagine security in any skyscraper would be pretty tight. What you could do is give your players a little help with access codes supplied by the johnson and prep them pretty good about the security measures. This way you wouldn't have to comprimise the level of security.

I've always wanted to setup a run in a skyscraper, I periodically look for floorplans online, but so far I havent foundy anything. Does anyone have a link to a site with skyscraper plans?

Actually, Security on a skyscraper is nowhere near as good as the physically isolated corporate campus. Yeah, It's as tight as they can manage, but the location, use and sheer number of people who come and go through the building mean that security has severe limitations.

For example, a corporate campus building in an industrial park has complete control over the surrounding space, including access, visual range, movement corridors, etc. You can be sure they use it to their advantage. The skyscraper has NO say on what happens outside It's walls. Most are built right up to the property line. They have no choice but to let anyone who wants to waltz right up to the side of the building
The Amazing Mysto
Pimp, You're right about being able to walk right up to the side of the building. I was looking online for skyscraper images and noticed you could technically pull out your suction cups and
start up the side right from the sidewalk. Not like you could would get away with it though. I figure they would have sensors, not to mention you are downtown someone is going to see you.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (The Amazing Mysto)
Pimp, You're right about being able to walk right up to the side of the building. I was looking online for skyscraper images and noticed you could technically pull out your suction cups and
start up the side right from the sidewalk. Not like you could would get away with it though. I figure they would have sensors, not to mention you are downtown someone is going to see you.

In regards to being noticed by someone. Maybe, I'd say there's a good chance a person might be able to get away with it. After a certain height, they might not be noticeable. If you're a resident of the city, how often do you really look up? Especially if it's night time, you're going home after a long day work? You're mainly gonna keep your eyes on the immediate area heading home. Sure, every so often a person might glance up, but that's if they look up at the right moment and also notice the person. If the person is wearing something that'll help blend in with the building facade, who knows? So I'd say, there's a pretty good chance at certain times of a day/night that one has a chance of getting away with that.

As for sensors, that's a problem the players will have to resolve. I know of buidlings with cameras on the outside looking down into the street (like my office building). Who knows what else they will use by 2070.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Dec 8 2005, 11:20 PM)
Now that is really bad looking, I was looking for a reference to give my players for what the SSID Secretariat  headquarters (the Soviet backed Serbian secret police) in Belgrade might look like.  An excellent imposing and oppresive icon for a sinister dictatorship.  Thanks for the link.

Glad to be of help. cool.gif

Oh, and if anyone is interested, here's some more shots of it (some much better than the one I orginally linked to) http://www.nyc-architecture.com/SOH/SOH026.htm There's also a bit of info about the structure of the place.

Again thanks.

I'll have to change the Micki D's sign out on the one (Nukit Burger couldn't get a franchise there either). The image of the entrance is perfect. I can just see the security emplacements with jackbooted guards, AK97's slung over their shoulders, maybe a couple of "BlackSuits" (the SSID's special interrogators) discussing what to do with that little Croatian Kid Leela whom they've just captured. Man the imagination wanders.
Starfurie
A new trend in skyscrapers is "multiuse." Since it's difficult to rent several thousand feet of office space all at once, they're looking at adding long and short term rental space in some newer skyscrapers.

I'm looking at designing a building (or rather a set of buildings) to add to Seattle. Four 80 story towers around (and attached by sky bridges) a central 120 story tower. At 4 meters per floor and with gaps between blocks of floors for better airflow, it would stand over 500 meters tall, or a bit more than half the height of the Renraku arcology.
eidolon
QUOTE (Shrike30)
QUOTE (eidolon @ Dec 8 2005, 06:33 PM)
A dozen guys jumping off the Needle in about 5 minutes.  Cool stuff.

That actually happened in Seattle a few years back. One of the jumpers broke their leg (and lower spine?) and ended up in the hospital for a bit. I can't remember if they got arrested or not, though.

One of the NPCs nearly did the same thing. Coincidence? Nay, I'm psychic. Um...reverse psychic. Yeah...that's it.

biggrin.gif
Starfurie
Most, but not all, maglocks on exit doors have motion sensors on the inside to unlock the doors so people can leave. If you can get something though the weatherseal to wiggle inside the door, you should be able to trip it. Since that's how it's intended to be used, it should be registered as a legal exit, so no alarm.

If the exit door is a steel or aluminum framed glass door, with the maglock on top (it's most common placement) you should be able to force the door open an inch or two at the bottom.

In game I used this knowledge to get into a private office in a building. I was going to have another character pull on the door while I blew up the balloon and let it jet into the office. The GM was being a putz and not letting me have a balloon because I forgot to mention it explicity when I declared equipment I was carrying for this run. Another character had a condom listed on his always carried list. I improvised. To this day we still talk about penetrating the target.

P.S. I work security IRL.
nezumi
QUOTE (Starfurie)
Most, but not all, maglocks on exit doors have motion sensors on the inside to unlock the doors so people can leave. If you can get something though the weatherseal to wiggle inside the door, you should be able to trip it. Since that's how it's intended to be used, it should be registered as a legal exit, so no alarm.

Would you be able to use your ultrasound emitter/detector to emit ultrasound and trigger the motion sensor from the other side of the door?
Shrike30
Wouldn't having a second maglock at the base of the door largely cure that problem? Or having a little light at the security desk turn on when someone pulls hard on the door?

The last place I worked at that had maglocks on their doors had these touchplates mounted on the walls next to the door... about six feet from the edge of the frame. While we've got myomer endoscopes and a bunch of other good stuff to handle problems like that, I'd think that SR maglocks for places that were trying to be more secure than "keep out passers-by" would also have added some sort of sweeper device on the floor/ceiling of the door, or just have a trip laser shining along the gaps... assuming they don't simply have a sliding door that happens to be sunk an inch into the frame on all sides.
PBTHHHHT
well if you have magic back-up and there's not as much magical security, conjure up a spirit on the other side of the door, have them materialize, that way it can trip the sensors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012