Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grabbing a gun from someone
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kavok
Okay lets say you have your tricked out unarmed adept right? You run up to a guy with a shotgun (Dundundun) and you decide to pull some "neo shit" as a friend put it.

If you wanted to take his gun, do something acrobatic (ala flip over him), and then shoot him with his gun how would you pull that off?

Its obvious that your going to need more than one initiative pass to pull something like that off.

Im thinking this is how it would go, please correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Charges person, makes called shot on gun. (This would knock the weapon of their hands and give it to the attacker)
2. Make a gymnastics check and set some kind of threshold (flipping over someone? 4-5 ? )
3. Fire the gun (pretty normal here)

The book didnt seem to have specific rules for 'grabbing guns' so please let me know if this is correct/incorrect.
Critias
I'm not sure about SR4, but I know "disarm" used to be pretty easy, in SR3 (CC rules). That could be used as a guideline.
Kavok
Is nothing about disarming (atleast not in the context I want) in the SR4 book.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Kavok)

Use the Palming skill.
Crusher Bob
I'd say test the adepts unarmed combat against the unarmed or clubs skill of the guy holding the gun. If the adept gets 2? net hits then the has disarmed the guy. He need another net hit to end up holding the weapon.

For the flip over the guy, I'd guess that this is barely possible for an olympic class athlete (12 dice) or a very good athlete (8 dice) who uses edge, so 4-5 sucesses to do that sounds fine.
Kavok
QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
QUOTE (Kavok @ Dec 9 2005, 05:26 AM)

Use the Palming skill.

It states in the book that you can use a called shot to knock a weapon from somebodys grip w/ melee. I don't see why it wouldn't let you also grab that weapon when you knock it out of their hands. Its not exactly a stealthy thing so I don't think palming is the most appropriate thing to do.
PlatonicPimp
how about the melee attack to knock it out followed by a palming check to keep hold yourself?
Tanka
Knocking a gun out does not require grabbing.

At best, the disarming attack, followed by Reaction+Agility to grab the gun as it flies out in a spontaneous direction.
el diablo robotico
QUOTE (tanka)

At best, the disarming attack, followed by Reaction+Agility to grab the gun as it flies out in a spontaneous direction.

What's wrong with increasing the threshold to see if you grab it? It would speed things up in game-play.

*shrug*
Kavok
Maybe a -5 or -6 instead of the typical -4 called shot against a weapon penality?
FrostyNSO
More entertaining than the player pulling this off, will be the player failing halfway through.... grinbig.gif
Tanka
QUOTE (el diablo robotico)
QUOTE (tanka @ Dec 9 2005, 01:44 PM)

What's wrong with increasing the threshold to see if you grab it? It would speed things up in game-play.

*shrug*

Never said you couldn't try grabbing it, I just said that you don't have to grab a gun in order to knock it out.

If you want to try grabbing it, sure, increase the threshold. If you just want to knock it out? I'd say one success over the other person's ability to hold on to it should do fine. (More successes knocks it further away. They roll against your disarm attempt as standard, or somesuch.)
Kev
Why not Unarmed(or maybe Reaction?)+Strength(Threshold=Target's strength) if you win the melee test to knock the gun away? If you fail, you knock the gun away and nobody gets it, if you win you grab the gun, if you glitch you've grabbed in backwards, and if you critically glitched you shot yourself with it? biggrin.gif
Tanka
Er, no.

In order to grab something, it isn't a matter of being strong and good at hitting somebody in vital areas.

It's a matter of reacting quickly and being able to nab something nimbly out of the air.

Knocking it out? Sure, Unarmed+Agility vs their Unarmed+Agility. You win, it gets knocked away. They win, it stays in their hand.

Want to grab it afterwards? Reaction+Agility. Threshold is dependant on weapon's size. The bigger it is, the lower the threshold. Add more to the threshold if you want to try to grab it so you can shoot them without reorienting the weapon next round.
Kev
Hmmm, good point tanka. I'm thinking more of wrenching it from their grasp than knocking it away and grabbing it in midair. But then that might be an Unarmed+Strength(net hits>=target's Strength) test.
Drace
Also, the flipping over the guy part of the neo-sh!t would be even harder, unless they had the great leap, or wasted their bp/karma by buying an excessivly high jump, like a 6 (a.k.a. olympic high/long jump skill).

Then the modifiers for doing a very disoreanting flip, and landing, and then firing the gun, would make the shot hard to complete.

But if it was done, now that would be a very memorable moment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012