Full Version: Summoned Spirits and distance from summoner
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lord Ben
Page 178: Spirits must remain within the summoner’s
Magic x 100 meters (if forced out of this radius, they will return
as quickly as they can). If a spirit is sent beyond this range,
it counts as a remote service.

From page 179: Summoned spirits appear on the astral plane and manifest
so that they are visible in the physical world as a ghostly image.
The spirit can hang around in astral space awaiting orders, or the
magician can instruct it to return from where it came to be called
at a later time—as long as it is called before its services expire.
Calling a spirit placed on “stand-by” takes only a Simple Action.

So if you have it go to whatever metaplane it's on and call it back later is it a remote service? If they go to another plane the summoner-spirit link is broken and they can't communicate so how do you call them back?
PlatonicPimp
You hermetics, always trying to apply "Rules" to magic, to try an make it make sense. Of course you can communicate with spirits on their home metaplane. How else did you summon it from there to begin with? you simply can't command it to go to other metaplanes and retain the connection. And the metaplanes Aren't "Distant" or "CLose" in the way that you mean it. Stop insisting that reality conform to your theories.
Lord Ben
Well, I DM so it's different. The question arose when a mage sent his spirit to the other plane, then stepped through a mana barrier, then called his spirit to his side again in order to avoid the spirit not going through the barrier. Also, the mage summoning a force 6 several days ahead of time and just waiting until he needs it then calling it with full services, etc.
FrankTrollman
Yes, you can send your spirits to wait on another metaplane, walk through a ward, and have them return.

You can only summon a spirit 140 hours ahead of time if you spend that time in Antarctica. Sunrise and Sunset still hapen whether your spirit is on a metaplane or not.

-Frank
PlatonicPimp
Frank, be fair. You can do it in the artic too.

And if you can move fast enough, you can outrun sunset going east to west.
Lord Ben
I thought sunrise and sunset was only for remote services?
FrankTrollman
  I thought sunrise and sunset was only for remote services?

Nope. Spirit services expire at sunrise or sunset (p. 177) unless the spirit is bound (p. 178). Spirits on standby still have their services expire at the turning of the sun (p. 179).

Frank, be fair. You can do it in the artic too.

True.

And if you can move fast enough, you can outrun sunset going east to west.

And with a spirit using the movement power, you can. With a Force 8 spirit using movement, you can outrun the setting of the sun on a moped. I think that might qualify as one of those dick moves that gets spirits ticked off at you though.

-Frank
PlatonicPimp
Now, somewhere is a man on a motorcycle who has bound a spirit to grant him the movement power, allowing him to outrun the setting sun. If the sun ever sets on him, the spirit will finally be free, and it will kill him, for it is angry at having been bound for so long. So this man, he can never stop travelling, always having to outrun the sun...

Great SR ghost story stub, if you ask me.
Azralon
Live on a luxury jet.

Followers of Owl, take note. wink.gif
Feshy
Heh, you could alternate living in the arctic and antarctic, staying with both of their "summers" -- just make sure you take a long, spiral path when you transition from one to the other to stay with the daylight. The spirit would never go free!

Of course, maintainable habitats in two of the most extreme environments of the world + trans-global jet-setting twice a year is probably a touch more expensive than the 500 nuyen.gif per force binding a spirit would cost. But can you really put a price on the BP necessary for a binding skill? (well, yes... 5,000 nuyen.gif a piece...)
Hasaku
You can't put a price on style... cool.gif

Reminds me of the mage who uses fire elementals to light his cigs at bars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012