Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Of Panther Cannons and Pistols
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Anythingforenoughnuyen
Here is another post in the Dear Dumpshock: GM seeking advice category.

One of the persistent problems I have had over the years is designing games for a group of players who end up making characters who specialize in weapons of very different power levels. On the one end of things are the Ninja type of characters who wield suppressed pistols and smg's, mono swords and weapon foci, grenades and plastique. On the other end of things are characters with drones and vehicles with automatic auto-cannons, hmg's, mortars, missile launchers, and that monster sniper rifle that made its first appearance in Fields of Fire. My question is not how to say, "That is not cool for this run or set of adventures", or how to set up situations where either the light stuff will not get the job done, or the heavy stuff must be left back at the base (or at least back in the van until things get fragged to hell and back). That I can do. Rather, wanting to give the players the widest latitude to play the character that most appeals to them, I would like to run games where both ends of the spectrum can interact in the same combat situation. Toward that end, I would like to know if anyone out there has had the same problem and what you did to deal with it (even if you have never had this problem, but have an idea that might be helpful, of course, please feel free to add your two cents, I, at least, would be glad to hear what you have to say).
Dog
If I'm reading this right, you're asking for combat situations. Here's a couple of ideas. I call the light weaponry guys "movers" and the heavy artillery "shakers."

The runners are in a large-scale battle in an urban center, but are pinned down by a nasty drone. The movers have to take the remote pilot down so the shakers can do their job.

The shakers are doing a good job of pounding the target when someone detects/sees/learns about reenforcements that are just getting set up or trying to flank them. The movers have to stop that from happening.

Piracy! The runners have to take a cargo ship. The movers can be boarders and the shakers can disable the big guns and otherwise defend the boarding vessel.

The runners are up against a much larger force, led by a charismatic figure. They cannot win toe to toe, but the shakers can keep them busy and distracted while the movers act to silence the commander.

The runners are defending an outpost of some sort, occupied by innocents. When it comes time to evacuate, the movers must lead folks to safety while the shakers cover their retreat.

Most of these seem to have an "or vice versa" clause, as well.
PBTHHHHT
Yeah, the heavy stuff to pound a facility, while the light guys have to do the actual room clearings. Kinda hard to use some of the heavy stuff indoors, though you can still have the heavy guys using some drones to support the light guys and also if you have, the heavy machine gun will work wonders tearing up a room from the other side of walls, but that's probably best for last resort or until you've already achieved your objective. Be bad that your own fire chewed up that computer you were wanting to get to or the extractee was killed by your own fire because the rounds punched through several walls, how'd anyone know they were in the line of fire?
hyzmarca
Two words, the arcology. Stealth guys sneak around and take out banded, heavy artillery guys hold off the drones.
mfb
i would simply set up much of the opposition the same way the runners are set up--a mix of movers and shakers, to use Dog's terms. the runners should hopefully be smart enough to match their own.
ShadowDragon8685
Shakers tend to destroy guns. Movers sneak up from behind and neutralize the enemy shakers, while friendly Shakers are busy rocking the world of the enemy movers.
mfb
sure, if the team has time to plan and everything goes according to that plan.
Fix-it
heavy artillery guys hold off the drones.

Hah! rotfl.gif
as if.

More like "Heavy Artillery guys get themselves perforated with poison darts and blood-boiling nanites"
Kagetenshi
A single combat situation incorporating roles for both sides: opposition includes both Heavies and Infantry. Due to the way the SR damage system works, Heavies are going to be entirely vehicle-scale. Depending on what the team's heavy weapons are, they may be able to engage both Heavies and Infantry effectively (MMGs/HMGs/autocannons/grenades, antipersonnel rockets/missiles), or they may only be able to efficiently engage Heavies (ATGMs, AP rockets, assault cannons, vehicle lasers). Meanwhile, the Movers will only be able to effectively engage opposing Infantry and possibly Lights (heavily armored Trolls/Orks, lightly or unarmored vehicles). Everyone takes care of what they can.

If things are going really well, you can even have the Movers disable the beam turrets on the—wait, wrong game.

~J
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fix-it)
heavy artillery guys hold off the drones.

Hah! rotfl.gif
as if.

More like "Heavy Artillery guys get themselves perforated with poison darts and blood-boiling nanites"

That's what Violet & Laura Mars like to do - Weapon of choice - Ares Super Squirt loaded with Gamma-S. Smartlink 2 & called shot to visible flesh (usually the head since most PCs aren't tromping around in full sec armour). Time to shake down 10D Stun with no armour. Works like a charm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012