Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions regarding shapeshifters as PC's
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tiralee
Hola.

Okies, I'm planning a game where a character is a Spapeshifter/magician.
Yes, point system (123) and legal, but I've some questions that I can't find answers for elsewhere.

1: Since the stats change for body/str/dex, and the mental stats don't, can a shapeshifter cast spells in animal form? (Mental image of a Selkie casting shape water here...)

2: Are there heightened target numbers, for instance when flying, if spells can be cast?

(Remembering of course that shapeshifters aren't people in animal form, they are dual-natured beings who are intimate and familiar with both forms - Canon rant.)

3: Astral combat - since shapeshifters are dual-natured, I assumed they percieve the astral plane constantly and so react to spirits, wards, etc, the same way that a mundane would to a wall or a wired-up street sammy?( Comments on this please.)

4: Natural weapons in astral combat - since the dual-nature thing allows interaction, I'd assume that a facefull of claws would tend to make people a little wary.

5: Detection - again with the dual natured stuff. Since they are, I'd assume watcher spirits, guardians et al, find it a mite bit easier to pick them out from a crowd, and would tend to pay a little more attention to dual-natured species (I'm including dragons, critters and ghouls here) since they're "on" all of the time? PC Ghouls, comment?

6: Astral combat - ok, since someone who is projecting gets all of the speed-of-thought reactions, I'd assume astral combat is uneven for a meat-body shapeshifter Vs a projecting mage. Comments? I'd assume normal rules for a projecting shifter, as I would for any other astrally-active character.

7: Finally - stuff. Shapeshifters tend to be associated with animal-body environments, that is, it's unlikely you'll find a Selkie in Las Vegas. Fun things like spell components, foci (Assuming of course you can get the nuyen.gif together) need a place to be, and shapeshifters tend not to stick around where they could be noticed. Comments? Ghouls especially, as they seem to have most of the same advantages/limitations. (And please, no jokes regarding vegetarian ghouls who only eat daisys. It's been done to death. nyahnyah.gif )

Thanks people.
L.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Tiralee)
(Remembering of course that shapeshifters aren't people in animal form, they are dual-natured beings who are intimate and familiar with both forms - Canon rant.)

No, they're animals in people form.

~J
TinkerGnome
1) SR3 Companion, page 35, under Animal/Human Form says:
Shapeshifter magicians in animal form can cast spells and summon spirits, but cannot use Centering Skills or fullfill geasa that their beast-forms cannot perform.

2) Nothing additional. Flying is much the same as walking as far as spellcasting is concerned.

3) Yes. They use physical stats and the like, as well, SR3C p36 under Dual Nature.

4) I don't think claws count for astral damage, but I'm probably wrong. Anyway, SR3C p36.

5) Not only do they stand out (since they're always astrally perceiving) they also get run into wards like they're physically there, etc. Being dual natured sucks.

6) Uneven, sometimes. Even when they're both projecting, same rules. SR3C p36.

7) Physical possessions probably aren't that important to shapeshifters. They can't carry 'em in animal form, and they're basicly animals with the ability to turn human, so they're not quite so materialistic (except for bright and shiny things, possibly wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012