Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shapeshifters in Sr4?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Squinky
Anybody do any decent Shapeshifter conversions for SR4 yet?
Deamon_Knight
God help me, I'm wondering what happenes when your Technomancer becomes a Ghoul.
FrankTrollman
I think it's pretty clear that different animals have to be costed separately. Tigers and Rats are wicked awesome, but wolves and foxes just aren't.

A shapeshifter character doesn't need heavy mental stat modifiers, because ordinary critters have much more normal mental stats than they did in previous editions. So you'd just make a human character.

B: 1/6
A: 1/6
R: 1/6
S: 1/6
C: 3/8
I: 1/6
L: 1/6
W: 1/6
Edg: 1/6
Ess: 8
Mag: 1/6

Powers: Dual Natured, Regeneration
Weaknesses: Allergy (Silver, Severe), Sensitive System, Uneducated

Then, when you turn into your animal form, you get modifiers to your physical attributes and abilities as follows:

Wolf: Natural Weapon = Strength, Movement = 10/50
Great Cat: B+3, A+2, R+1, S+2, Natural Weapon = Strength, Movement = 10/60
Rat: B-2, A+2, R+2, S-2, -1 Reach
Shark: A+2, R+2, Natural Weapon = Strength+2, Movement = 20/60 (swimming)

Now... costs? That's a tough one. The wolf form is almost completely worthless, while the Rat form provides great stealth potential, the Tiger form provides some brutal brawling, and the Shark form allows you to swim at high speed.

Now that Magic is no longer tied to Essence, the Shapeshifter's Essence of 8 is no longer game breaking for a player character to have. Basically, you're an Elf who is Dual Natured and gets Regeneration and a fundamental difficulty dealing with modern society instead of Lowlight Vision and a bonus Agility. My gut feeling is that that's almost balanced with the new Regeneration, and we should be looking at about 40 points for a Wolf, 50 points for a Rat or Shark, and 60 points for a Tiger or Jaguar.

-Frank
blakkie
There is a thread on various possibilities and tacts to take. I haven't heard of anyone doing extensive playtesting yet of those things.
blakkie
QUOTE (Deamon_Knight)
God help me, I'm wondering what happenes when your Technomancer becomes a Ghoul.

Your god should irrevokably foresake you for those thoughts. smile.gif
warrior_allanon
Now... costs? That's a tough one. The wolf form is almost completely worthless, while the Rat form provides great stealth potential, the Tiger form provides some brutal brawling, and the Shark form allows you to swim at high speed.

you do realize that you're a bloody human sized rat right. You'd be fraggin huge
Jestercat
Shapeshifters can also go into a full animal form, at least they used to be able to. Ergo, you're a rat-sized rat.

I'd love to see more done on this - Kitsune (from the SNES game) was always a cool Shadowrun character. smile.gif
Squinky
Frank, what about the stat modifiers to Human and Animal form? In SR3 Wolf got +1 bod/str/Cha in human +2 to bod +1 quick/strength, what happened to that?
Akimbo
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Basically, you're an Elf who is Dual Natured and gets Regeneration and a fundamental difficulty dealing with modern society instead of Lowlight Vision and a bonus Agility.

The flaw in that is only humans may be shapeshifters in SR3.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Akimbo)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Dec 16 2005, 01:40 AM)
Basically, you're an Elf who is Dual Natured and gets Regeneration and a fundamental difficulty dealing with modern society instead of Lowlight Vision and a bonus Agility.

The flaw in that is only humans may be shapeshifters in SR3.

Thank gawd for that, who'd want to face off against a pack of troll werewolves? or weresharks? or whatever else.
TheHappyAnarchist
Not entirely correct. There were no human shapeshifters, per se. They were animals that took human form.
Akimbo
Correct you are. What I mean to say is that a human character and only a human character may take shapeshifter as a race. But you are correct. Shapeshfiters are not human.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Squinky)
Frank, what about the stat modifiers to Human and Animal form? In SR3 Wolf got +1 bod/str/Cha in human +2 to bod +1 quick/strength, what happened to that?

What happened to that was that it never applied to shapeshifters generally, it only applied to player character shapeshifters. The standard was that Shapeshifters had crazy large stats in everything - including the Enhanced Physical Attributes power that added their Essence to all physical stats. Player characters got to play nerfed shapeshifters with a unique regeneration that wasn't nearly as good as normal. Judging by the SR4 Vampire and the SR4 Wolf, critters who used to get huge across the board physical bonuses don't any more.

The old Wolf was:
B: 5
Q: 5
S: 4

The old Shapeshifter was:

B: 5
Q: 4
S: 5

And the new wolf is a much more realistic:

B: 2
A: 3
R: 3
S: 2

So while the animal kingdom is getting scaled down to that degree, I don't think it's unreasonable for the statline of a Shapeshifter to drop to:

B: 3
A: 3
R: 3
S: 3

Now Mental stats are another story. They haven't really come down much (mostly because the old editions never handed out fetishistically high mental attributes like they did with physical attributes. So Shapeshifters had a Charisma bonus of similar size to an Elf, and generally critters in SR4 are keeping that kind of bonus, so it stays.

QUOTE (Akimbo)
Correct you are. What I mean to say is that a human character and only a human character may take shapeshifter as a race. But you are correct. Shapeshfiters are not human.

Yes. They look human, but in actuality they have attributes more similar to that of an Elf. And that being the case, I'm looking at Elf from a starting point for game balance purposes.

The fundamental changes in SR4 that make Shapeshifters reasonable as player characters are that Regeneration is no longer nearly as game dominating, and whoever wrote the ordinary critters figured out that humans outmass and outreach wolves and a grown man beating a wolf to death with a stick isn't all that impressive a feat.

-Frank
Mordrid Soud
I have been thinking about this as well. The thing is, I don't really care for how shapeshifters were handled in any of the sr editions. The same can be said for vampires as well. Before I set any of these ideas in stone, I want to finish reading 4th (i recieved it 2 days ago). What I was thinking was for the shapeshifters there is only the wolf to chose from, and when he/she changes they resemble what you would expect in the movies (i.e. underworld, the howling, ect). For the wolfs, I was thing of granting a +2 to strength, a +1 to reaction, and +1 to agility. As for their attribute max, I would double whatever their max score for str was according to their race, and multiply their max for reaction and str by 1.5. When the character begins to surpass their normal racial max for their attributes, they do not have their score increased beyond that until they shape shift -example- a human werewolf has a str score of 8. While in human form, his str is still marked as a 6. Once he changes, that is when he gains the 8 str. In wolf form they would also have claw and bite attacks (i am not sure what I would list the damage as, since I am not finished reading sr4). As for healing abillity, I was thinking that they would be able to heal an amount of damage per combat turn (not round) equal to their bod score unless the damage was caused by silver in which case it would take twice as long to heal as if it were a wound inflicted on a normal person. I would do something with their astral sig (not sure what as of yet as I have not finished reading the awakend chapter yet). They would not be able to use cyberware, and any inplants that they have would be painfully pushed out. As for infection rules and resisting the virus if you get bit, I am not sure... I need to read more before deciding. As for build cost I was thinking somewhere between 30 and 40 points. The thing is, even if someone makes a werewolf during character creation using these rules, they are not really overpowered. They have the potential to be powerfull later on in the game if they survive the vampire runins (assuming that the vamps and wolves hate eachother ala underworld), corporate researchers who would love to get their hands on you, pissed off mages shamans and anything else that can assence you warped signature. The vamps would be built along the same principles. Hope this helps some people out if for nothing else than brainstorming some of your own ideas.
Akimbo
Another thing is that being dual natured is more of a weakness than a strength. They are constantly in the astral plane. As a shapeshifter, you are a big bright shining beacon in the astral plane. Therefore, they are vulnerable to detection, attack, etc at all times in that plane.

Edit: Also, a shapeshifter's astral form is that of their animal form. No matter what, that tiger shapeshifter will always be a tiger in the astral plane. The only way to counter this is by having initiate masking.
Squinky
I understand where you are coming from Frank, but what about shapeshifter characters being converted from SR3, do they just loes out on their attributes because animal attributes changed?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Squinky)
I understand where you are coming from Frank, but what about shapeshifter characters being converted from SR3, do they just loes out on their attributes because animal attributes changed?

No. They also get all those points back that they used to be forced to cough up to maintain two stat lines. They get handed back the real regeneration instead of complicated and watered down healing system that applied only to them.

Attributes have been reigned in severely in SR4. Shapeshifters are going to necessarily get the brunt of that because they were so attribute focused in SR3. But ultimately I think they'll find that the fact that they can transform into a lion and be a reasonably powerful lion is going to more than make up for the fact that they no longer have inexplicable bonuses to their human-form physical attributes.

In fact, for any character that tried to maintain good attributes in both forms in the old rules, the outlook on physical attributes is actually going to be better. While you no longer get +4 divided amongst your physical attributes, you also don't have to buy a second set of physical attributes - which would have set you back 9 attribute points just to be average. It's actually much cheaper to be physically impressive under these rules than in the nerftastic rules presented in SR3.

-Frank
Eyeless Blond
Even if they do, it's not much of a loss as they don't have to double-pay for physical stats anymore. PC shifters in SR3 tended to be real weaklings in human form because otherwise they'd have no points to spend anywhere else.

(Edit: minja'd, by a far more eloquent poster smile.gif)
Apathy
What's the reason that shifters in SR3 could only assume a human form (instead of a metahuman form)? Just a game balance issue?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Apathy)
What's the reason that shifters in SR3 could only assume a human form (instead of a metahuman form)? Just a game balance issue?

Shapeshifters aren't humans that turn into animals. They are animals that can transform themselves to look like humans. Now there's no special reason to think that they couldn't look like a human that happened to look like an Elf, but they don't actually get anything for that. They are still a badger (or whatever) that looks like a (meta)human.

So since Shapeshifters don't have low-light vision, they are probably best off impersonating a human. But especially if you take adept powers of enhanced senses, there's no special reason to believe that a seal can't impersnate an Elf, just that it's fundamentally more difficult than impersonating a normal human.

-Frank
Apathy
If I ever came up with a set of shifter rules that didn't give me heartburn, I'd probably allow them to choose a meta-human form to shift into, as long as they paid the chargen for that form. In other words, if I decided that race=tiger shifter cost 40 points, then they could choose a hominid form of troll for an additional 40 points.

Doesn't seem to be much point, though. Spending the points to kick ass in tiger form seems to undermine the value of being able to kick ass when shifted into a troll...

[edit] On second thought, maybe not. Any of the meta forms would require me to decide how to handle the mental attribute modifiers, and madness lay down that path...

[edit#2] For sake of argument, I'm posting the straw man from the other thread (after editing to take blakkie's feedback into account)
[ Spoiler ]
boskop-albatros
Must do list of exotic races for caracters so someone can get rules ready then

HMHVV characters-RegVamp-NosVamp-Goblin-Banshee-Windigo-DooNaQuazNa/Formoi{Mutaquad}-LoupGaurow

AI's & Free Spirits

Sasquatches(Yeti)?????---Please!!!!

Earthdawn level one--Windlings(Sprites wink.gif )-T'Skrang-ObsidianMen????
Earthdawn Extra_____Jackelmen!!!!

Para & Normal Animals---Merrow, Naga, Leshey,__Elephants & Dolphins????

Please mention any Extras I might of missed

Later
FrankTrollman
Apathy: I hav serious problems buying seals dodging bullets. They can't even dodge my club most of the time. Your animal stats seem completely out of touch and way crazy high.

boskop-albatros: I think at a minimum, a potential player character must be able to participate in common adventures. That means that your character must be able to ride in an airplane, fit into an elevator, and walk around in a bar. So while you could play a Sasquatch, a Ghoul or a Shapeshifter, and you might be able to play a Free Spirit or a Formorian, there's no way in hell that you could play a dolphin, an elephant, or an obsidiman. Sorry, Obsidimen were playable in Earthdawn because being half a tonne wasn't a severe problem back when transporation was possibly as good as a horse. Now that people really can just get into an airplane and go to Formosa for breakfast, being unable to ride human transports means you just can't be a player character.

-Frank
Apathy
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Apathy: I hav serious problems buying seals dodging bullets. They can't even dodge my club most of the time. Your animal stats seem completely out of touch and way crazy high.

That's why I called it a straw-man. You think the stats are too high (and I agree...) - ok, what are the right stats?
boskop-albatros
Ok first if there arre any obsidianmen around and they need to travel wouldn't they just use a bigboat? (or just stay around their liferock in the remote awakened lands)

also just gotta ask---what about Dragons?___NOT GREAT FORMS & LASTLY

ReticulanGrays---YES THE ALIENS THAT MICHEAL JACKSON LOOKS LIKE?

& more---reptiliod aliens (the ones The president(yes BushJr.) are supossed to be--NOT T'Skrang

Star Warrior Space Dwarves(Blue skinned and No body hair)

Nordic human looking aliens (from the plaidies)
Black looking human aliens (form alpha centari)
AmericanIndian looking human aliens (from Epsilion Endri)

Thank You
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (boskop-albatros)
Ok first if there arre any obsidianmen around and they need to travel wouldn't they just use a bigboat? (or just stay around their liferock in the remote awakened lands)

& more---reptiliod aliens (the ones The president(yes BushJr.) are supossed to be--NOT T'Skrang

Thank You

....wuh...?

dead.gif
nick012000

Are you insane?
Mr.Platinum
I'm just going to waite for an official SR4 rule book to come out and then see.
Dread Polack
QUOTE (boskop-albatros)

Thank You

Wow, someone else here listens to Cost to Coast AM. smile.gif

Frank makes the point that there are races, and there are playable races, there are not-easily played races, and there are are nigh-impossibly played races.

Yeah, you could build a dragon PC if you wanted to, but what the hell is he doing shadowrunning. I could see a few awake Obsidimen or T'Skrang walking around out there somwhere, but I don't think they're ready to become shadowrunners. You'd have to run a pretty interesting campaign to work them in.

I think the same is true for ghouls and shapeshifters. The first thing anyone needs to realize about shapeshifters is that they're not werewolves a la Werewolf the RPG. SR likes to have their own take on mythological critters. As such, if you're talking about werewolves, you're either talking about wolf shapeshifters or loup-garous. Loup-garous are similar in intelligence and behavior to a ghoul, while shapeshifters are animals that can take on humanoid form.

As Frank said, different animal forms are more useful than others. While in human form, attribute bonuses would be very light, if any.

Dread Polack
Jestercat
The nature of a Shapeshifter as a shadowrunner is an odd one. A shapeshifter's "shadowrunning" career usually starts out as blatant eco-terrorism, if such a thing arises - that's hardly all shifters. If they get into that, though...it's easy to see them picking a few things up from their teammates.

Additionally, there's the "descent into the shadows" angle - a shapeshifter who tried to integrate with human society then realized how messed up it is. I think this is more the angle you get with Kitsune, as she appears to be in her early thirties, with rather world-weary features. Like Jake, she's learned far too much in too short a time to accept any of it, hence she became a shadowrunner (though an absolutely horrible one, who spends the majority of her "working time" in hospital). nyahnyah.gif
boskop-albatros
yeah I just threw every speicies I've heard about in the UFO Mythology against the wall to see what would happen

Some where a bit much(the reptilliods for example)--but I don't see why Shadowrun Couldn't have Grays and StarWarriors ---{the star warriors are supossed to live on the hopi reservation out west--they are 5ft tall, muscular and stocky, have blue skin and are bald--that sounds like a tall space dwarf? doesn't it?} rotate.gif
Mr.Platinum
I have a friendwho has a NPC Fox Shape shifter with amnesia, she's one of the more interesting NPC's i have ever come across.
She seems to have a metahuman social upbringing but every once in a while snaps with her instinctive needs.

The only thing she knows is that she came from some where beneath the earths crust some where.

Now after reviewing some of the books i know he got the idea to very minute references to something or some organization that comes from below.

The refernces is one that i know of off hand is some under ground group is selling some form of mushroom drug new to the 6th world and i think i remeber 2 other books refering to it.
boskop-albatros
so any one got rules for Grays (Reticulans)?
Azralon
QUOTE (boskop-albatros)

Sure!

Reticulans "Grays"

Do not exist in Shadowrun.

RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (boskop-albatros)

Sure!

Reticulans "Grays"

Do not exist in Shadowrun.

That's only what the UCAS government wants you to think Man! The truth is out there. I want to believe! silly.gif
Azralon
Heh, Paul.

Ooh, I should target that demographic by selling cyberskulls made out of tinfoil.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Azralon)
Heh, Paul.

Ooh, I should target that demographic by selling cyberskulls made out of tinfoil.

Only if the tinfoil has been given a coat of WiFi supressive paint, to keep out those nasty Technomancer mindhack beams.
Azralon
Certainly! Our wide range of anti-cosmic colors were alchemised by licensed magicologists utilizing ancient Atlantean pigments and Martian mineral oils.

Buy now and we'll include a genuine fossilized Obsidiman organ, guaranteed to ward off 100% of all Invae and Horoi. Our friendly hackers are standing by to receive your financial transaction code now!
boskop-albatros
ok first of all once the NAN took over all the Alien tech in Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico was most likely moved out (Rosswell is in Aztlan now can't let those Azzies get their hands on Alien tech)

China Lake was said to be cleaned out too in the CalFree Source Book (Also China lake is alot closer to the beach now...maybe with climate change the dry desert lakes will start to fill in) If their is any left there it is probably under corp control (Ares most likely, followed by Horizon, and then Evo)

In the Eastern part of NorthAmerica the UCAS's Alien tech share is at Montawk Long Island and Ong's Hat New Jersey (the mind control stuff would be in Ft Mead Maryland)

The CAS's Alien tech share would be at Savanna River South Carolina
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (boskop-albatros @ Dec 20 2005, 12:46 AM)
The CAS's Alien tech share would be at Savanna River South Carolina

Actually, that's Savannah with an "h". And it's usually not referred to without the third word of it's name: Savannah River Site, (Though before the 1990s, it was the Savannah River Plant).

Interesting choice for placement BTW. While it is one of the larger Federal Government reservations (comparable in geographical size to a large urban center such as Atlanta or Washington D.C.), and would likely remain so up through SR's time (even through the secession), it's not a military site. It belongs to the Department of Energy, with the bulk of the land stewardship provided by the US Forestry Service.

If it had been me, I would have said that the CAS would hide their alien tech someplace else, like Ft. Knox Kentucky (The military base, not the gold repository next door). Sure, Ft. Knox doesn't have a National Laboratory like SRS, but being home to one of the Army's Armor Centers makes it that much easier to take that alientech and incorporate it into the latest generation of ground-effect thunderbirds.
boskop-albatros
sorry but Kentucky is still UCAS in the shadowrun world (unlike harry turtledove's alt time line where Kentucky is still ConFed but Missouri is still all union)

sorry about the spelling guess that gives it away that I'm not CASin
RunnerPaul
*Checks Map*
Damn. mad.gif

Still I'd think Alientech would be a military base thing. And as for the spelling, seeing as I live about a 15 minute drive from the place, it just seemed odd to see it referred to like that.

And I'm kind of surprised that through this whole thread hijack, we've not yet seen a visit from this guy: ----> alien.gif
boskop-albatros
sorry about the highjack but I kinda highjacked myself- I'm making this list now to rap everything up-This is a ranking of experimental shadowrun player characters (SHAPESHIFTERS included) and what I think would be their levels of rarity

Level 1(not too crazy): Shapeshifters, Ghouls, and HMHVV cases where the victim can still read[both kinds of vamps, banshees, and windigos]
Level 1.5(too rare for level one but too cool for level 2)-Sasquach/Yeti(and all other world wide variants)

Level 2 (getting extream) HMHVV cases that turn said victim's brain to mush(Loup-garou, goblin, Doo-Na-Quaz-Na/Formoi{mutaquad}

Level 3 (GM asks "Why are you busting my ass") All Non-Shadowrun earthdawn Races EXCEPT ULK-MEN[they need horrors to even exist-which means to have them YOU'LL BE FIGHTING HORRORS!!] and Nagas, Merrows, and Lesheys (Can't wait to play a Single Spell Leshey adapt!!)

Level 4 (GM asks "those drugs must be good, can I get a bump?)
Star-Warrior Space Dwarves (just a metavarient form from space with blue skin, no body hair at all[totally bald], and probably better reach because they are on the tall side for a Dwarf [5 ft Tall])
Grays(Reticulans)-nothing more needs to be said
Ulk-Men (Damm I have to find my ED Horrors source book)

Level 5 (even I wouldn't use them)
Reptiliods (Our President{BushJr})

Thats all folks!

biggrin.gif cool.gif

boskop-albatros
also I forgot about Bladersnatches (THEY WOULD BE LEVEL 2)
Azralon
indifferent.gif
PlatonicPimp
You know, That was almost coherent.

ALMOST.
boskop-albatros
oops sorry I also forgot NON-greatform Dragons (They would be level 3) smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012