Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mindf---ing Amnesiacs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hyzmarca
A silly suggestion for the next time you are faced with a munchkiny character that has amnesia. Create a sort of spirit that resembles a Free watcher, except far more intelligent than the average watcher. He is also a lech with several ex-wives. Only the amnesiac character can see or hear this spirit, which calls itself Al. Al claims to be the amnesiac's best friend and does scouting and tracking for him rather frequently. Al also claims that he isn't a spirit but is instead a human in the future who's image is being projected back in time directly onto the Amnesiac's brain. Finally, Al insists that the Amnesiac is a human male, no matter what the character's actual race and gender are.
Cray74
I was a little slow on the uptake but...heh, I get it. That would be an entertaining mind fuck.
nezumi
That's funny. So what is Al's computer gadget named?
hyzmarca
The device that Al uses is called a handlink. It isn't a computer per se, more like a remote keyboard that allow him to interface with the imaging chamber systems and with Ziggy. Ziggy is an AI computer that could be described as what Deus would be like if someone added the simsense patterns of Barbra Streisand to his programing.

Why someone would give an AI supercomputer the personality of Barbra Streisand I do not know.
Crusher Bob
This can only mean one thing. Barbra Streisand has aquired the other half of the The Triangle of Zinthar.
Fix-it
what you say? eek.gif
brohopcp
MECHA-STREISAND!!!!!!

Run For Your Lives!!!
Method
Sweet Jebus!! Call Robert Smith!!

Back on topic though: you could give the person some kind of elaborate quest they need to accomplish to get thier memory back, but in the end they just need to give an old lady a packet of sugar for her coffee or some junk like that...
Fix-it
QUOTE (Method)
Sweet Jebus!! Call Robert Smith!!

Back on topic though: you could give the person some kind of elaborate quest they need to accomplish to get thier memory back, but in the end they just need to give an old lady a packet of sugar for her coffee or some junk like that...

even better, he has to ask his neigbors for a cup of sugar to make a cake. feel free at this point to turn the story into a 3 little pigs episode.
Valentinew
QUOTE (Cray74)
I was a little slow on the uptake but...heh, I get it.

Mebbe I just haven't seen, read, heard what you are referring to, ...'cause I don't get it. I wish I did, it sounds funny, even without catching the reference.
Weredigo
I caught the reference. I might actually do this to one of the PC's during Bottled Demon, though hold the MarthaStewart/BarbaraStriesand innuendo's...
Mortax
........(Mortax falls out of his chair laughing)

LMAO!!!!! Thank you, I'm going to use that if anyone ever takes that flaw.
Hoondatha
They're referring to a tv show from the 80's called Quantum Leap where a guy from the future keeps jumping into the bodies of various people in various times, and has to figure out what their problem is and get it fixed before he can "leap" again. To aid in his quest is the person/thing/projection from the future that has information regarding all of these situations. I never saw the beginning of the series, though, so I didn't know amnesia was involved, nor do I know *why* the guy is jumping from life to life.
hobgoblin
ah, now i understand why it sounded so familiar.

i have seen some episodes of that series. kinda funny the first 5-6 times you see it, but after that it becomes a repeat but with new costumes...

http://imdb.com/title/tt0096684/
here it is...

looks like there was a partial amnesia in there...
Mr.Platinum
Hey good imagination there bud.
eidolon
rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

That's pretty funny.
hyzmarca
He doesn't actually leap into other people's bodies, he just exchanges auras with them while their whole bodies change places. This leads to some interesting situations since he doesn't have the physical stats of the people he leaps into despite the fact that he appears to.

"You aren't a troll Sam, you don't have any dermal armor. That guy will kill you."
"You can't give birth sam, you're not really pregnant"
DocMortand
*wince* Ooo that's nasty. However I'm already known to be evil enough that none of my players would EVER take amnesia now. smile.gif
Lindt
Thats silly. I love it.
DocMortand
Actually, I'm thinking of pulling this on a char in my campaign who has the disad "Wierdness Magnet." Would just be for a session (then Al warps out because "his job is finished here"), tho...not a continual gag. wink.gif Maybe have a recurrence or two, though. smile.gif
Vaevictis
Heh, how about the amnesiac's most important contact knows *exactly* who the amnesiac is, and has reasons of their own for wanting to keep them in check? (ie, in the amnesiac state)

Not really surrealism, but definately a good way to mindf--k amnesiacs.
Muzzaro
If they want to take Amnesiac, smile, agree, and then when they state their character is sleeping, you get to have some fun.

"Ok, you wake up. It's not a bad day considering, not too much smog, and the bedding's warm. What are you going to do today?"
"Well, i'm going to contact the Johnson, let him know i have his data"
"What Johnson? You don't remember any Johnsons, or data for that matter.
"But we just did a run yesterday"
"You try to remember back, but there's nothing. You can't remember what you did, where you was... and for that matter.... who are you?

Yes. Each time they sleep, everything they "took in" the day before is wiped off the slate. Possibly makes the character unusable (although they could get around this by leaving messages for themselves, or getting some corrective surgery), but hey, the world's a harsh place.
Aku
that sounds possible for the higher pt valued versions, but not the low level stuff.
Muzzaro
True. It's more for the ones who's eyes light up when they realise how much they can munchkin with a high score Amnesia.

Another trick, would be that the runner suffered a severe trauma in their life, so bad that the mind blotts out anything to do with it, in a form of self defence. If the trauma had to do with trolls, you could take him to a troll, say "look infront of you", but he would refuse to look, trying to avoid confrontation with the trauma suffered. In severe cases, would actually pass out, or go into a coma (say you tied him down infront of a room full of trolls, and wired his eyes open, as the trolls walked up, shook his hand, and spoke to him). Maybe if the GM decided randomly what this would be, depending on the level of trauma. Then, modify perception rolls accordingly, if the traumatic "item/thing/person/object" is part of the encounter, etc.
Fix-it
muzarro, this could happen with mundane, innoculous items too, especially to deckers who have run-ins with psychotropic IC

AAAAGHHH ITS A CREDSTICK!!!
Mr.Platinum
Well the good old fashion I forget PC.

Give the feller a Gay Lover.
give the fellar a cross race gay lover.
a FAmily.
a debt to the YAk.
AWAL is always good too and so on.
Muzzaro
It might not be too "PC", but make him a recruit for a religious organisation (cult), who was part of a suicide bombing... but chickened out. As he was running away from his suicide suit, it went off, bouncing him into wall, head first, and giving him amnesia when he woke up from the "coma".

Now some shadowy cult want to know just why he didn't go up in a ball of fire and holy bliss, and are here to correct that, because they are rather forgiving, and they believe that everyone should die, and experience the bliss of the (insert afterlife style religion reward here).
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Muzzaro)
It might not be too "PC", but make him a recruit for a religious organisation (cult), who was part of a suicide bombing... but chickened out. As he was running away from his suicide suit, it went off, bouncing him into wall, head first, and giving him amnesia when he woke up from the "coma".

Now some shadowy cult want to know just why he didn't go up in a ball of fire and holy bliss, and are here to correct that, because they are rather forgiving, and they believe that everyone should die, and experience the bliss of the (insert afterlife style religion reward here).

Oh thats a real good one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012