Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fighting Spirits.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bullet Raven
I'm planning an encounter for my group vs a toxic earth shaman who uses a powerful focus to summon and bind an earth spirit who will harass and generally annihilate the runners.

Unfortunately, I can't find out whether my runners will be able to fight it or not, there is no mage in the party and no adepts.

Can mundane attacks affect a spirit in the physical plane?

The encounter is still in planning so it can change as much as needs be.

on a side note, how do I deal with insect spirits for 4th ed? I'm not great at coming up with stat lines and things :/
Zen Shooter01
A powerful spirit will chew your mundane runners up and spit them out. Yes, mundanes can attack materialized spirits, but they get twice their Essence in armor, and if the modified damage doesn't exceed the armor rating, no damage is inflicted. On top of that they're fast and tough, so even if the attack penetrates the Immunity to Normal Weapons power, it probably won't do a lot.

They'll need some very big guns.
Bullet Raven
Bah, I need another player who likes mages!!

Edit: thanks, that's what I was afraid of wink.gif
Phantom Runner
Of course if the stats of the spirit get in the way of a good plot, you can just lower the stats....
Grinder
Or use a NPC-mage who helps the runner team. For a price, of course... wink.gif
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Bullet Raven)
I'm planning an encounter for my group vs a toxic earth shaman who uses a powerful focus to summon and bind an earth spirit who will harass and generally annihilate the runners.

Unfortunately, I can't find out whether my runners will be able to fight it or not, there is no mage in the party and no adepts.

Can mundane attacks affect a spirit in the physical plane?

The encounter is still in planning so it can change as much as needs be.

OK, spirits are bad news to mundanes. Not unbeatable, but very bad news. Unfortunately, the kind of bad news that they are to mundanes is probably not what you are looking for. The basic rules do not have battles against powerful spirits being climactic long running struggles like the end of a Final Fantasy game. Instead, spirits require skilled professionals to whip out really big weapons, and then they explode. Works very nicely for Insect infestations, btw.

See, a spirit has double their Force in hardened armor, which means that in order to hurt them at all you need to have a modified DV that exceeds that. Note that your net hits on the attack and extra damage from Ammo count for Modified DV, but extra damage from burst fire does not (though if you penetrate the armor, that extra damage is applied to the spirit). So if you are dealing with a Force 8 Spirit, and your Elephant Rifle firing ExEx ammo hits it, you'll be reducing its armor to 13(!) and doing 11 damage straight off. So you'll need to come up with 3 net hits to affect it. That's not all that hard to do, and if you succeed, the spirit is rolling 25 dice to soak 14P - which aint gonna happen. So in a couple shots of heavy ordnance, that spirit is going down like a prom date. Anything less and your weapons aren't going to do anything at all.

on a side note, how do I deal with insect spirits for 4th ed? I'm not great at coming up with stat lines and things :/

Insect Spirits are actually really easy to fudge for SR4. Remember that just like every other tradition, they get 5 spirit types. They also have a Threat Power that sometimes their spirits are possession spirits and sometimes they are normal materializing spirits. The rules for when and how that gets decided haven't been written, and I honestly couldn't tell you what they are going to be. However, since you're the gamemaster - it doesn't matter. You just decide which ones are flesh form, which ones are true form, and which ones are well merged.

A true form spirit gets its own stat line, so you'll want to restrict those to scouts and hunters. This is because you can use the Air Spirit and Beast Spirit for those spirits, and those statlines are in the basic book. Soldier and Worker Spirits have not been published yet in an official capacity, but you don't really need to know what their statlines are if they show up as well merged or flesh forms. See, a possessed spirit uses the vessel's physical stat line and adds the spirit's force. So just like you don't need stat lines for Vodoun Loas (and indeed in MitS, the Loa are written without stat lines), you don't need the stat lines of anything that shows up in flesh form.

Then you just need to give them some spirit powers and skills. Not a big deal, most spirits are somewhat interchangeable on that score. Workers of course would have Artisan and possible some other Technical skills as well, but that's not likely to matter much unless the hive is working with the players. You don't even have to be that consistent, because spirits have optional powers.

Queens are a bigger problem. Like Ally Spirits, they add to the spellcaster's magical skills and exist only one at a time. In fact, game mechanically they might as well be Ally Spirits. And of course, that doesn't help much because the official Ally writeup isn't out either...

Long story short: You can run an adventure with True Form Scouts and Flesh Form Workers and Warriors and it will seem just like you had Street Magic in your hands right now. If you play it off right, your players will applaud you for how close you came to the published material when the book finally comes out. They don't have to know that you always used the parts that were really easy to convert.

-Frank
Lagomorph
full auto apds would help even the playing field, as long as they are manifest that is.
Lord Ben
Spirits aren't that tough. An assault rifle does 8P with -3AP if you use EX. That means you can hurt them if you get just 2 successes on damage. Aim for the head and you're doing 12P with -3AP. You can harm force 8's with 2 simple successes.

Now do 6rd bursts to the head and that force 8 spirit with just two success on the hit roll will have to soak 19P - 8 successes on the damage resistance test just to stay alive!!
Zen Shooter01
What was I thinking? I don't need heavy firepower. I just need an assault rifle spewing APDS on fully automatic.
Feshy
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Spirits aren't that tough. An assault rifle does 8P with -3AP if you use EX. That means you can hurt them if you get just 2 successes on damage. Aim for the head and you're doing 12P with -3AP. You can harm force 8's with 2 simple successes.

Now do 6rd bursts to the head and that force 8 spirit with just two success on the hit roll will have to soak 19P - 8 successes on the damage resistance test just to stay alive!!

Er... If I was GM, I wouldn't allow "aiming for the head" of an elemental. Take a fire elemental, for instance... the head's fire, the foot's fire, every bit... fire. It doesn't really matter which part you hit, elementals are as homogenous as mashed potatoes. You can't bite the head of a bowl of mashed potatoes, can you?
snowRaven
'Quick and easy' way to make that toxic spirit fightable, using the 'I'm-the-GM-so-things-work-however-the-hell-I-want-them-to' formula:

Lower it's armor to Essence /or halve it's Essence - it is toxic. after all - maybe it's not feeling very well?)

Then add Essence (or Essence x 2) to it's condition monitor, or only apply half the damage from any mundane weapons (since it is toxic, iit's vulnerabilities and invulnerabilities don't work as expected).

Voila - a spirit mundanes can handle, and a long, drawn out battle.

Oh, and don't forget that this spirit doesn't suffer normal damage modifiers - since it's toxic, it kinda has pain resistance (it's toxic state IS pain, of sorts)

any of the above values can be adjusted on-the-fly to balance the spirit against the runners.

Player: Whaddya mean my SMG doesn't do any damage?? It damaged the spirit last time I shot it???
GM: Yeah, it seems very strange to you, but since you are staring at it dumbfounded, you realize that the spirit has somehow used the metal from your bullets to toughen it's surface.
Player: Spirits can do that?? *scratches head*
GM: Apparently this one can... *scratches an action for the spirit*
mintcar
Let the runners encounter the spirit. Fudge the outcome so that they survive but have to escape. Let them figure out how to deal with it. Either the Rutger Hauer way (we need bigger guns!) or by finding a mage to help them. The result might be one player rolling a mage character, or not. Anyway, itīs a good story if the players get wooped, but come back with a plan. (Few spirits will survive a good chunky salsa grenade effect I bet. A little cunning goes a long way)
emo samurai
Umm... can they pour soap on it?
pragma
QUOTE (Feshy)
You can't bite the head of a bowl of mashed potatoes, can you?

Maybe you can't.

On a more serious note, I really like snowRaven's suggestion. You could implement it by saying it was made of mud or some similar sludge (appropriate for toxic earth) and that bullets are absorbed (doing half damage). In fact, I think that there is some horror power which sets precedent for that ruling.
emo samurai
Could you find out the chemical composition of the spirit and neutralize it with the power of science?
FrankTrollman
Toxic Spirits have a severe allergy to purified water. If you have enough clean water on hand, you can kill them outright. Their immunity to normal weapons doesn't apply to weapons they are allergic to, so a water cannon filled with pure water would slap a toxic spirit around virtually regardless of how big it is. It could be force 10 and a water cannon would cut through it like butter.

Actual soap, on the other hand, is still an environmental contaminent, and makes Toxic Spirits happy.

-Frank
emo samurai
Do your runners know that? And is there any way of dropping such a hint without making the spirit completely irrelevent? That's a pretty big allergy, and all you need is to boil some water and condense it.
Bullet Raven
These ideas are great guys thanks!

I could have that hint dropped...

If I have them hear about this elemental but not face it directly, then if they look up some information on the matrix, or locally with a mage - which they likely will - then they will find out the weakness they need.

This encounter will happen later in the campaign so they should get used to looking up information before executing a run anyway by then, otherwise they'll all have lots of dead characters to their name.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
So you'll need to come up with 3 net hits to affect it. That's not all that hard to do, and if you succeed, the spirit is rolling 25 dice to soak 14P - which aint gonna happen.

How is that not hard to do? That Force 8 spirit you're talking about has likely between 16-24 Reaction dice, depending on type, plus 8 Dodge dice and 8 Edge dice! You'll be lucky to hit it at all, let alone get any net hits on the test.
milspec
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
How is that not hard to do? That Force 8 spirit you're talking about has likely between 16-24 Reaction dice, depending on type, plus 8 Dodge dice and 8 Edge dice! You'll be lucky to hit it at all, let alone get any net hits on the test.

The German errata has the corrected spirit Init:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...topic=10755&hl=

spirit of beasts (Fx2)+2
earth spirit (Fx2)+2
fire spirit (Fx2)+3
spirit of man (Fx2)+2
air spirit (Fx2)+3
water spirit (Fx2)+2

And Reaction of +X not xX.

milspec
FrankTrollman
Also, it only gets its dodge dice if it takes an action for full defense, and since street samurai get more actions that it does on the material plane - that's win/win as far as the street sam are concerned.
Mr.Platinum
Just use it as a learning experience, if the Pc's don't have the right knowledge skills or understanding of the spirits, well there screwed.
Bullet Raven
Good point. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012