Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's that saying?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kyuhan
I'm just having a brainfart here, can anyone tell me the saying that goes something like "Dragons make sure every path leads to their goal" or something like that? Thanks much.
Snow_Fox
The only one i know goes back to first edition.

Never make a deal with a dragon.
Gerald Fitzgerald
It goes:

"Every dragon ensures that their path leads to water, but you can't make the horse drink."
FrostyNSO
No I think it was:

If a horse buys you a drink, it'll really leave you draggin'
John Campbell
You can drive a gift horse to drink, but never look a dragon in the mouth without a good deal of water.
Mortax
Shoot strait, conserve ammo, watch your back, and never ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Also:
Do not medle in the afairs of dragons for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Snow_Fox
Mortax rememebered the whole saying, yay!
Foreigner
And here's a version that I read on a generic gaming quotes site awhile back:

Charging knight on horseback (with lance): "For my HONOR! For my KING! For my GOD!"

Dragon (tying on a bib and licking his lips): "For my LUNCH!"

(Chomp! AAAGGGHHH!)

rotfl.gif

--Foreigner
Aku
Do not medle in the afairs of dragons for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Is this used anywhere else aside from SR/ED?

I ask, because i actually saw it on a bumber sticker
PiXeL01
I prefer - When in doubt, empty your clip.

The great thing about that one is you can interpret it anyway you like biggrin.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (Aku)

Yeah, we stole that.
Shrapnel
QUOTE (PiXeL01)
I prefer - When in doubt, empty your clip.

The great thing about that one is you can interpret it anyway you like biggrin.gif

I've always preferred "When in doubt, shoot it out!"
Aku
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (Aku @ Dec 17 2005, 07:41 PM)

Yeah, we stole that.

can i ask from where?
Ancient History
Well, I saw it on a keychain at the mall, right after Vegetarian is Indian for bad hunter, but I'm fairly certain it was in existence before that.
BetaFlame
QUOTE (Aku)

It's a variation of Tolkien's quote, spoken by Gandalf "Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger".

At least I think it was Gandalf. Maybe it was someone else.
hobgoblin
oh i do think it was gandalf, dont recall why he said it tho...
Aku
probably yelling at one of the hobbits.
John Campbell
It wasn't Gandalf; it was in reference to Gandalf.
QUOTE ("J.R.R. Tolkien @ Fellowship of the Ring")
Gildor was silent for a moment. "I do not like this news," he said at last. "That Gandalf should be late, does not bode well. But it is said: Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. The choice is yours: to go or wait."

And later:
QUOTE ("J.R.R. Tolkien @ Two Towers")
"Hullo!" said Merry. "So that's what is bothering you? Now, Pippin my lad, don't forget Gildor's saying, the one Sam used to quote: Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

"But our whole life for months has been one long meddling in the affairs of Wizards,' said Pippin. 'I should like a bit of information as well as danger. I should like a look at that ball."

Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Well, I saw it on a keychain at the mall, right after Vegetarian is Indian for bad hunter, but I'm fairly certain it was in existence before that.

OH my god, that is awsome, specially being a NANNer my self.
ShadowDragon8685
If vegetarian is Indian for "Bad Hunter", is Pacifist Indian for "Easy Prey"?
BookWyrm
There's also the Hogwart's credo, "Never tickle sleeping dragons", or something like that.

Taran
Or if you do, use a very long stick.

(Call it Fred and George's corollary to the Hogwards credo).
Grinder
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
If vegetarian is Indian for "Bad Hunter", is Pacifist Indian for "Easy Prey"?

And what does "vegan" mean then?
BetaFlame
QUOTE (John Campbell)
It wasn't Gandalf; it was in reference to Gandalf.
QUOTE ("J.R.R. Tolkien @ Fellowship of the Ring")
Gildor was silent for a moment. "I do not like this news," he said at last. "That Gandalf should be late, does not bode well. But it is said: Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. The choice is yours: to go or wait."

And later:
QUOTE ("J.R.R. Tolkien @ Two Towers")
"Hullo!" said Merry. "So that's what is bothering you? Now, Pippin my lad, don't forget Gildor's saying, the one Sam used to quote: Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

"But our whole life for months has been one long meddling in the affairs of Wizards,' said Pippin. 'I should like a bit of information as well as danger. I should like a look at that ball."

Indeed, that is correct. I went and looked it up.

So it was spoken ABOUT Gandalf. I was close for going off memory nyahnyah.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (Threats @ p.57)

>>>>>(Do not meddle in the affairs of Immortals, for they are subtle and quick to anger.)<<<<<
-Frosty (19:01:35/06-05-57)

>>>>>(Hey! No paraphrasing Tolkein on this board!)<<<<<
-Goblin-Boy (19:12:53/06-05-57)

>>>>>(Is that who said that first? Sorry, I thought it was someone else.)<<<<<
-Frosty (19:17:32/06-05-57)

Vaevictis
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." -- Vlad Taltos, Jhereg. (Steven Brust)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012