Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How's my character concept?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
In the UCAS shadows, he'll call himself "Shattered Sword," named after his broken katana which shines with a silent and dark power. Or rather, he'll be called that by other people, since no one's ever heard him talk. He never shows his face, preferring to hide it behind a ragged cloak and stereotypical ninja mask, which is also ragged. His broken katana ability to cut seems to extend beyond its physical bounds. Rumor has it that during his Genin advancement ritual, the Jounin managed to shatter his sword. Instead of killing himself or getting killed by his Jounin, he managed to slay his master with his broken sword and has been on the run from his clan ever since. His goal is to gather enough money to lead a coup on his original clan.

The reality is much different. He never killed his Jounin, and is actually on very good terms with him. They play golf together. He's actually a chuunin, and while in Japan, he dresses in a white ninja suit and leaves a calling card that proclaims his ninja clan to be the most honorable ninja clan in the universe. He's very silly and easygoing among his contacts in Japan. And his sword? It's just a fancy-looking sheath for his monowhip. It could still cut off your finger if you mishandle it, though.
emo samurai
Bump... FOR ULTIMATE POWAH!!!!!
FrostyNSO
Eh...

So what's he like?
SpasticTeapot
Duh wha?
Oracle
I have no idea what all these japansese terms are supposed to tell me. But I do not like characters with mystical ninja background. As it was said before "FOR REAL ULTIMATE POWER!!"
Gothic Rose
Sounds like a rather one dimensional character that exists soley to be kewl and not actually be a person.

You don't actually tell us what he's like, what motivates him, or anything else - just a load of bulldrek about broken swords and shit.

Grinder
Too mcuh of a stereotype. Maybe give us some more infos about his background?
FrostyNSO
Chris Farley was about all the white ninja I could handle....
Grinder
God, his movie got such a awful german title....
eidolon
Wow. Aren't we overly critical? ohplease.gif

He sounds completely playable to me, and like he could be a lot of fun. I like it.

(Guys, you act as though because he chose to provide a quick "this is my guy" that it's an unplayable character. Who here owns a Jump to Conclusions mat?)
FrostyNSO
Yeah, I know.

Where are my manners? I don't want to piss on the enthusiasm of a new Dumpshocker (there are already plenty around here to do that! wink.gif ).

- He may run into some difficulty if he doesn't talk to anyone, as he'll at least need to talk to his teammates from time to time or if he works alone...to get jobs.

- Playing golf with his master and the calling cards seem a bit silly, but I actually really like that monowhip idea with the broken sword and how "onlookers" describe it. Not sure how such a device would work exactly, but sounds cool nonetheless (I might jack the idea for a villain's weapon in our campaign).

- Other than that, why doesn't he talk much? You've built up the, uh, mystique, now what about the man under the mask? Maybe it's a secret? But why does he make it a secret?
Aku
maybe because the developers didnt want to slice for a decent voice actor, so the leading role was left un-voiced?

oh, wait, this isnt a video game character....

CARRY ON!
emo samurai
In anime, quiet, angsty types get more buzz than loud, boisterous ones. My character was a parody of this phenomenon. As for those who criticized that my guy was too much a stereotype, realize that the second paragraph makes it very clear that he is a blatant parody.
Squinky
And if he dosen't talk much, it lets a person put a 1 on charisma....
emo samurai
He'll actually have a serviceable Charisma score. He just won't show it until the group really needs his Japanese contacts.
ThatSzechuan
QUOTE (emo samurai)
He'll actually have a serviceable Charisma score. He just won't show it until the group really needs his Japanese contacts.

WHY?!
Rotbart van Dainig
To rip them off better?
eidolon
QUOTE (ThatSzechuan)
QUOTE (emo samurai)

WHY?!

Um, because that's the character's quirky ass personality?

Get off his nuts. Just because he's going to play the character in a manner different than the way you would is no reason to pretend that you're a better role-player. That goes for..hmm..nearly everyone else in this thread.
FrostyNSO
By the title of the thread it sounded as if he was looking for constructive criticism...
Squinky
QUOTE (emo samurai)

Kudos for that. Most combat-like folks ignore it.
emo samurai
He's a ninja. If I make a ninja, I HAVE to make an intentionally silly ninja just so that he isn't unintentionally silly as a normal ninja. Plus, I like silly characters, and the whole cyberpunk doom thing doesn't seem like the kind of thing I'd like my characters to be weighed down by. I'd like him to transcend the boundaries of his social background somewhat. Plus, even if he doesn't speak, his charisma will get him to radiate silent menace. At least in North America. Or so I hope.

As it was said before "FOR REAL ULTIMATE POWER!!"

And by the way, it's "FOR ULTIMATE POWAH," bitch.
eidolon
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
By the title of the thread it sounded as if he was looking for constructive criticism...

Posting "he sucks because I don't know every little part of his personality at any given time" isn't constructive in the slightest.
Squinky
QUOTE (emo samurai)
He's a ninja. If I make a ninja, I HAVE to make an intentionally silly ninja just so that he isn't unintentionally silly as a normal ninja. Plus, I like silly characters, and the whole cyberpunk doom thing doesn't seem like the kind of thing I'd like my characters to be weighed down by. I'd like him to transcend the boundaries of his social background somewhat. Plus, even if he doesn't speak, his charisma will get him to radiate silent menace. At least in North America. Or so I hope.

As it was said before "FOR REAL ULTIMATE POWER!!"

And by the way, it's "FOR ULTIMATE POWAH," bitch.

Eh? Do you know what he is referring to?
http://www.realultimatepower.net/

mfb
this is good. the basic concept is that of a showman--something like a reversal of the usual "face" archtype. this guy is very consciously building a badass mysterious rep; he should probably have a pretty high Intimidation skill.
Spoonfunk
GREAT CONCEPT!!!!
Wrong game...this isnt bubblegum crisis nor is it BESM. This is shadowrun and while shadowrun may have cartooney and somewhat fantastic art and themes it is not a cartooney nor is it fantastic in a way that a character like this would be productive. You have a good concept just not for the game your playing in.
Any shadowrunner worth his salt would take one look at that guy and walk out of the building and off the run rather than be any near association with a person who not only draws that much attention but carries himself in such an unproffesional manner.

P.S Im not trying to bash on a new dumpshocker BTW nor am I intending on offending you emo_samurai. The forum is titled what do you think... and thats what i honestly think.
emo samurai
You're pretty much on the mark about the BESM thing. I actually thought myself that he would make a great BESM character.
Sphynx
Sorry, but I'za gotta disagree with Spoon Funk. I think the character would go well in several shadowrun games I've played in. Despite the way most forum posters (in almost every game) tend to view the reality of a game, the funnest games are often when you just play to have fun.

I like the character personally (though anyone that said there character doesn't talk, in any game I run would have to make a new character, nothing more annoying than a 'silent type' character).

It's not how the game is "suppose" to be played, and looking at those graphics, I've a feeling SpoonFunk is a bit off on his belief in the intended way the game is played. It's about how the game you're in is played, and I'm guessing with a character like that, you're not playing the stickler too-real-to-be-fun kinda game.

As for the lack of professionalism, I see no lack of professionalism at all. You remind me of Miho in Sin City comics (and movie). Nothing wrong with that.

Sphynx
Cang
i have one concern for your group... if he doesn't really talk, it is going to slow down the group so much. Seems like all my players have to make a character that talks in double speak and has complete mystery to them. This always slows down the games because noone ever gives a straight answer. haha

ie: " What's your name chummer"
"What's YOUR name"
"My name is slate, are you the one i am suppose to meet"
"Depends"
"Depends on what?!"
"Depends on who you are."
"I already told you!"
...and it goes on from there around the same rate.
emo samurai
He wouldn't doublespeak. He'd gesture in ways that are very clear in meaning. And that doublespeak won't have much of a purpose; is your example an exaggeration?
TheScrivener
Personally, I'd welcome emo's character to my game. But as is obvious here, different people play SR different ways. I have a friend who runs games involving piracy in the San Juan islands, utilizing circa-1700s tall ships powered by storm spirits and air elementals. SR is a *system* first, a *setting* second, and the tone of a particular game is 80% up to the players and the GM. Don't rag on somebody too much just because they play a little less professionally. The SR4 book itself shows variations of cinematic play, professional play, grittier play, etc. SR has always bridged the gap between serious roleplayers (the White Wolf set, etc.) and wargamers (Battletech/Mechwarrior) and as such, is interpreted a lot of different ways. Hell, the original idea was ganked from William Gibson, who doesn't want anything to do with the final product... there is no Holy Bible of shadowrun in my mind.
Cang
those were exact words... i get headaches with my group, but they are getting better. the person who plays the stupid char. is no longer in our group. something about falling asleep during games and wanted his char. to grow longer arms for more reach. dead.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012