Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mulaning the Shadows
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gothic Rose
So, right. I wanted to ask you Dumpshockers some things. Namely, how would you go about having a character pretend to be the opposite gender? Such as a woman pretending to be a man. Obviously, a Fake SIN with the proper gender is a must. I'd say so is a good Disguise skill, and a good Con skill. But what else?
Oracle
A background story. That is more a matter of roleplaying than a matter of equipment or stats. If the character is really a transsexual he wouldn't even need a disguise or con skill, because his personality is already male. Considering the situation of modern day transsexuals I'm also pretty sure that in the 2070s gender is much more a question of definition than of birth.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Oracle)
A background story. That is more a matter of roleplaying than a matter of equipment or stats. If the character is really a transsexual he wouldn't even need a disguise or con skill, because his personality is already male. Considering the situation of modern day transsexuals I'm also pretty sure that in the 2070s gender is much more a question of definition than of birth.

The character in question isn't a transsexual, just someone who's hiding her identity by pretending to be male. Doesn't want anyone to realize who she is, so she pretends to be a guy to throw everyone off. The character would actually be pretty womanly, just with lots of baggy clothing, taped down breasts, a very good disguise skill, etc, etc, etc.

Crusher Bob
Also, there are a host of enchanced senses that might be able to give you away as well. Anyone with an olfactory booster or gas spectrometec will be likely to ID you. High gain thermographic scans might give you away. Milimeter wave radar might too. Anyone with really enhanced hearing might also be able to pick you out based on your voice. You would be obvious to astral perception.

Depends on how far you want to go. An implanted voice modulator fixes the sound problem. Some implanted scent glands plus a clean metabolism mod get past most scent based scans. A bit of, erm, extra bioware will get you past the high gain thermographics. Most everyone using mm wave radar is going to be looking at you weapons, not the shape of your pelvis, so hopefully no problems there. Of course, the last hurdle, asrtal perception is almost unbeatable (one thing I don't like about it, it's basically the unbeatable sense).
The Jopp
…Or perhaps the player just notes down ”Gene-Treatment” and “Gender-Reverse cloning treatment” in the background of the character to switch his/her entire body into a female template based on the characters DNA and actually BECOME female.

Considering how much genetic science has moved forward in SR I would find it perfectly legit.
Oracle
It would cost a bit essence, but possibly that's the only reliable way to accomplish posing as a male.
Sphynx
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Also, there are a host of enchanced senses that might be able to give you away as well. Anyone with an olfactory booster or gas spectrometec will be likely to ID you. High gain thermographic scans might give you away. Milimeter wave radar might too. Anyone with really enhanced hearing might also be able to pick you out based on your voice. You would be obvious to astral perception.

Depends on how far you want to go. An implanted voice modulator fixes the sound problem. Some implanted scent glands plus a clean metabolism mod get past most scent based scans. A bit of, erm, extra bioware will get you past the high gain thermographics. Most everyone using mm wave radar is going to be looking at you weapons, not the shape of your pelvis, so hopefully no problems there. Of course, the last hurdle, asrtal perception is almost unbeatable (one thing I don't like about it, it's basically the unbeatable sense).

Ok, I could see the Olfactory possibly giving you away with the correct knowledge background of identifying human odors or something (and that seems most unlikely). I can't see how any other of the concepts would accomplish that though. Who'se to say that the woman trying to be a man isn't an Elf male trying to pass as human? Or the Man trying to pass as female, isn't an Orc female with the Almost Human edge?

Unless you're able to extract dna, I see no reason that one gender is discernable past the other with a good 'disguise' skill. Even odors (camouflaging behind perfumes), should be disguisable to all detectable senses.

Anyhows, I disagree. I think Disguise/Con and SIN is all you really need. Possible exception: Female during that 'time' getting past an odor detector. But even that would only cause a negative to your roll by about -2 to disguise yourself I think.

Sphynx
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)

Astral perception doesn't reveal gender, actually.

Thermographic could also be beaten via the proper clothing, correct? Underwear that generates differing heat signatures that are more like a man's, that'd work?

Scent isn't something I'm worried too terribly about - although what are some other, non-invasive ways of going about it? Would some sort of spray suffice? An Eau d'Man?

The Voice Modulater is easy enough, as well.

Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Sphynx)
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Dec 19 2005, 12:10 PM)
Also, there are a host of enchanced senses that might be able to give you away as well.  Anyone with an olfactory booster or gas spectrometec will be likely to ID you.  High gain thermographic scans might give you away.  Milimeter wave radar might too.  Anyone with really enhanced hearing might also be able to pick you out based on your voice.  You would be obvious to astral perception.

Depends on how far you want to go.  An implanted voice modulator fixes the sound problem.  Some implanted scent glands plus a clean metabolism mod get past most scent based scans.  A bit of, erm, extra bioware will get you past the high gain thermographics.  Most everyone using mm wave radar is going to be looking at you weapons, not the shape of your pelvis, so hopefully no problems there.  Of course, the last hurdle, asrtal perception is almost unbeatable (one thing I don't like about it, it's basically the unbeatable sense).

Ok, I could see the Olfactory possibly giving you away with the correct knowledge background of identifying human odors or something (and that seems most unlikely). I can't see how any other of the concepts would accomplish that though. Who'se to say that the woman trying to be a man isn't an Elf male trying to pass as human? Or the Man trying to pass as female, isn't an Orc female with the Almost Human edge?

Unless you're able to extract dna, I see no reason that one gender is discernable past the other with a good 'disguise' skill. Even odors (camouflaging behind perfumes), should be disguisable to all detectable senses.

Anyhows, I disagree. I think Disguise/Con and SIN is all you really need. Possible exception: Female during that 'time' getting past an odor detector. But even that would only cause a negative to your roll by about -2 to disguise yourself I think.

Sphynx

Actually, Sphynx, you bring up another point. What about pretending to be of another race? We'll go with Elf pretending to be Human here. Obviously, there's the Human Looking quality. What else? Elves are taller than humans, so a female elf pretending to be a male human might actually be about the right height, although the bodily frame is incorrect.
Sphynx
That's why the disguise skill exists (it's for more than camouflaging oneself). There's a reason that ElfPosers was a fad in the early 60's, and why so many of the non-human race can pass themselves off as human. People aren't standing on street corners doing DNA testing, or Gene testing. Sure, under intense scrutiny, disguises fail. Would be hard to get past a LoneStar strip search, or a doctor's exam, but going through most building 'detectors' should pose no threat at all, and without an intense examination, a good disguise shouldn't fail to even an inspector with enhanced senses, IMHO.
Cray74
Ultrasound. If you get close to someone with ultrasound, would the womb be noticeable?
Adarael
Is the question "What does the character need?"
Or is it "What does the player need the character to have?"

The character will need all sorts of things that people have already mentioned - voice training or modulation cyberware, breast-taping or concealment, et cetera. The list could go on for days if you seriously wanted me to list all of the different things that could help the lie. This is the kind of list I mentally compile while taking a shower, seriously.
(My brain is occupied with spy stuff and Shadowrun stuff a lot of the time.)

What does the player need the character to have? The disguise skill, the con skill, a disguise kit, and high charisma. The special stuff the character has are simulated by a) their skill and stat, for training, and b) their die bonus from 'special equipment' to replicate other things.

The die system is an abstraction of natural talent, training, and gear.

And Cray?
I only think the womb would be noticable if the target had their shirt up, their stomach smeared with a bit of sound-conducting jelly, and the listener's goggles or eyes stuck against the target's stomach.

In which case, the target's probably already screwed.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Adarael)
Is the question "What does the character need?"
Or is it "What does the player need the character to have?"

The character will need all sorts of things that people have already mentioned - voice training or modulation cyberware, breast-taping or concealment, et cetera. The list could go on for days if you seriously wanted me to list all of the different things that could help the lie. This is the kind of list I mentally compile while taking a shower, seriously.
(My brain is occupied with spy stuff and Shadowrun stuff a lot of the time.)

What does the player need the character to have? The disguise skill, the con skill, a disguise kit, and high charisma. The special stuff the character has are simulated by a) their skill and stat, for training, and b) their die bonus from 'special equipment' to replicate other things.

The die system is an abstraction of natural talent, training, and gear.

And Cray?
I only think the womb would be noticable if the target had their shirt up, their stomach smeared with a bit of sound-conducting jelly, and the listener's goggles or eyes stuck against the target's stomach.

In which case, the target's probably already screwed.

A little of both, actually. I need to know what's needed Mechanically, but I'd also like to know what would be done from an In Character point of view.
Darkness
QUOTE (Cray74)
Ultrasound. If you get close to someone with ultrasound, would the womb be noticeable?

Possibly. If you press your eye directly at her belly, that is. biggrin.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Ok, I could see the Olfactory possibly giving you away with the correct knowledge background of identifying human odors or something (and that seems most unlikely).

If I may, please direct your attention to the section on Pheremone Scanners on p.254. Essentially, if you have any type of Olfactory Sensor (implanted or as part of a security system) it can be used as a pheremone scanner. They can pinpoint gender, and in fact, there's a even a situational modifier on the pheremone scanner's modifier table that's female only.
Azralon
Ahh yes, that modifier.

I'm all for realism in game rules.... up to a point. I mean, seriously, now they've probably got some poor (or weird) GMs somewhere making up house rules to dictate someone's cycle.

My advice: Ignore that particular modifier. indifferent.gif
Feshy
QUOTE (Darkness)
QUOTE (Cray74 @ Dec 19 2005, 03:14 PM)

Possibly. If you press your eye directly at her belly, that is. biggrin.gif

Only if you coat your eye in gel and THEN press it to her belly, actually. Otherwise, the acoustic difference between the open air around the person and their insides generally creates enough of a barrier that only the barrier shows up easily.

Unless, of course, you were underwater. And the person with the ultrasound implant had it set for underwater, and had a high anatomy skill.

Alternately, a forensic anthropologist looking at your x-ray scans could tell the difference with a decent roll.

But I think we can rule these possibilities as less likely than a strip search.

I'd personally assume that "disguise" covers more than "makeup" -- it should absolutely cover methods of defeating modern equipment as well, otherwise the whole skill is pretty useless.

Given that a significant portion of the populace now sees into the infrared spectrum, I would think that infrared generating clothing is standard in *any* good disguise kit. Things like "fake bellies" to make you look overweight would be useless to a good 20% of the people walking around if they didn't also simulate a metahuman thermal spectrum.

Similar reasoning applies to the sense of smell as well, assume good diguise kits include pheromone sprays, and that a disguise skill covers the use of them.

Of course, you can't alter your bone structure, and you're not going in for physical surgery, so strip searches and x-rays manned by medical practitioners are a no-no. So, stick with street docs who already know your past (that you trust) -- or better yet, don't get shot. The guy at the club scanning for weapons? He'll see your "under disguise" and move along looking for more enticing targets to ogle under their clothes (the pervert.)
ElFenrir
Ahh yes, that modifier.

I'm all for realism in game rules.... up to a point. I mean, seriously, now they've probably got some poor (or weird) GMs somewhere making up house rules to dictate someone's cycle.

My advice: Ignore that particular modifier. indifferent.gif

Male Runner: Hey, Millie, we need you on this run. we need someone to go in and disable the security cameras for us and to get the paydata off the computer.

Female Runner: Shut UP!! Call me in 5-7 days, THEN we'll talk!! *click*

nyahnyah.gif Why, oh why, did they have to do this one...
Sphynx
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Sphynx @ Dec 19 2005, 06:51 AM)
Ok, I could see the Olfactory possibly giving you away with the correct knowledge background of identifying human odors or something (and that seems most unlikely).

If I may, please direct your attention to the section on Pheremone Scanners on p.254. Essentially, if you have any type of Olfactory Sensor (implanted or as part of a security system) it can be used as a pheremone scanner. They can pinpoint gender, and in fact, there's a even a situational modifier on the pheremone scanner's modifier table that's female only.

Although a pheremone scanner can detect that there is a female in the area, it can't detect who is the female, nor how many females there are. Disguise, the Active Skill, would teach you to not stand alone in an area with such a scanner. nyahnyah.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Although a pheremone scanner can detect that there is a female in the area, it can't detect who is the female, nor how many females there are. Disguise, the Active Skill, would teach you to not stand alone in an area with such a scanner. nyahnyah.gif

Does it also cover recognizing when someone's got an olfactory booster implant? It's hard to avoid being alone in a room with a scanner when you don't know it's burried deep in your teammate's nasal passages.
Sphynx
That's just it, pheromones just hang out in an area. Picking up pheremone signatures from a female could have been put there hours ago. I would think, the Disguise Active skill would teach a person to not just hang out with anyone for too long alone though. I've not got a diguise skill to speak of, but I'd know to not hang out too long in one place with just one other person for too long if I was aware such scanners existed.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Sphynx)
That's just it, pheromones just hang out in an area.

And if 2070s Pheremone Detector technology wasn't smart enough to be able to distinguish fresh pheremones from old pheremones, I think the designers would have mentioned something about decay times in the rules.
Sphynx
Or they might just imply that the technology is still forthcoming by saying something like the sensors only being able to differentiate metahuman from animal, and notice a gender pheremone should it encounter it, but not be sophisticated enough to detect individuals.

Or, maybe they just didn't want to bog the system down with saying how long it takes based on different ventilation systems for the pheremones to become too diluted for the scanner to pick up.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the technology is not high enough to differentiate between old and new pheremones.
RunnerPaul
Remind me then in your games, to have my invisible mage make the break in attempt early in the evening, when the lingering scent of all the office workers who just got off their 9-5 shifts would render the pheremone scanner useless for its primary security system purpose: detecting otherwise undetectable unauthorized personnel.

Of course, if the things are no good for several hours after an authorized person passes through the detector's area, it raises the question of why any security system engineer would even bother with the thing. The beancounters over in accounting don't like to blow money on gizmos that aren't likely to do anything productive.
Sphynx
Please, break in with your invisible mage early in the evening. There's a huge difference between detecting old/new pheremones, and detecting completely new ones that don't match the database of known pheromones.

However, this is getting off topic hugely. A good disguise roll is a resisted roll, you want more successes than the detector gets is all. He's not trying to hide the fact he's there, he's trying to hide the fact that he is a she (or visa versa), and to do that, the person with the Olfactory Boost would need more successes on a perception roll, than the disguise roll got.

However, the Olfactory Booster has no idea if that pheromone he's picking up (heavily masked my whatever 2070 odor masking products exist) is old or new, or belongs to the guy that just walked by, and most likely would just comment similarly to those of us that see a guy that looks feminine... "Is that a guy or a girl?", but not make a big deal out of it, since we really don't care either way.

Sphynx
hyzmarca
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Dec 19 2005, 05:35 AM)
…Or perhaps the player just notes down ”Gene-Treatment” and “Gender-Reverse cloning treatment” in the background of the character to switch his/her entire body into a female template based on the characters DNA and actually BECOME female.

Considering how much genetic science has moved forward in SR I would find it perfectly legit.

Actually, no genetic engineering is needed. All embryos are initially neuter. DNA directs the gestating body to produce certain hormones at certain times and these hormones determine sexual devolpment. Application of the correct hormones at the correct times can result in a body that is genetically female but physically male and vica versa with no side effects.

This sometimes happens today by accident with intersexed persons and (theoretically) transsexuals. With intersexed persons, pre-natal hormone imbalance can result in genetic males with fully functional vaginas and uteri, genetic females with fully functional prostates and penises, and everything in between. With Transsexuals, the hormone imbalance occurs when certain brain structures are devolping, resulting in a brain that is physicaly one gender while the body is another.

It would be trivial for SR medical science to produced cloned parts of either gender by applying the correct hormones in the correct amounts at the correct times ( Any forced growth past puberty will require carefull hormone control anyway). The only problem may be the gonads. Since sexual hormones are gonadal hormones the naturally produced hormones will be in conhflict with the artifically introduced hormones at that site more than any other. Most intersexed persons either have gonads matcing their genetic gender or gonads that are literally half and half, combining testis and ovary into a single structure. The latter is rarely fertile and tends to become cancerous. However, it wouldn't be impossable to completely change someone's gender without any essence loss or bioindex if they could get the gonads right. If not, the essence cost for enginered gonads would be trivial compared to the cost of a whole new body.

As for the pheremone issue, Tailored Pheremones could clear that up and provide a nice CHA bonus.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
[QUOTE=The Jopp,Dec 19 2005, 0
As for the pheremone issue, Tailored Pheremones could clear that up and provide a nice CHA bonus.

Heheh. That line just strikes me as funny, for some reason. nyahnyah.gif
fistandantilus4.0
that pheromone detector acutally gets bonuses to spot someone w/ tailored pheromones equal to the level, on top of the +2 the sensor gets for menstrating characters. Remember also that the security sensors are advanced enough to pick out individuals pheromones and identify them as the ywalk down a hall to tell who is and who is not authorized to be there. So they are pretty advanced.

As far as posing as the opposite gender, another thing to take in account is body language. If the character already ahs combat training, soends a lot of time around men, is more of a tomboy type, these things might make that a bit easier. if she's more feminine, the body language could be more pronounced. But that would fall under the disguise skill. The Con skill could also come in to play in some circumstances.

Another thing to consider is just how big her breasts are. If she's farily average, say a 'C' cup, some tape and loose clothing may be enough, although that's got to be uncomfortable. Bigger than that, and things will get more difficult (say modifiers to the disguise roll).

Ultrasound and millimeter radar may be able to detect the difference in the chest depending on breast size as well, taped or not. A thorough scan, like a x-ray, would show the difference as well, since breast tissue is different from normal body fat. There are men that do have actual breast tissue instead of just chest fat, although they just look like 'man boobs'. I knew a guy that had that and had to have it surgivally removed because it started to grow. The doctor told him somewhere around 20% of men have it to varying degrees. Don't know how accurate that is, but that's what the doctor told him.

Nano paste can go along way to give someon more 'manly' features. I see no reason that you coulnd't modify some of that gunk to change around more of the body type though. probably be expensive though.

But assuming she's got the right type of build for it (no very skinny neck, pronounced collar bone, nice butt wink.gif or shapely ladies legs and keeps most of her body clothed, it shouldn't be too difficult. Millimeter radar would be the only thing I would worry about, and that isn't that common for security (at least according to STOA 63).
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

As far as posing as the opposite gender, another thing to take in account is body language. If the character already ahs combat training, soends a lot of time around men, is more of a tomboy type, these things might make that a bit easier. if she's more feminine, the body language could be more pronounced. But that would fall under the disguise skill. The Con skill could also come in to play in some circumstances.

Another thing to consider is just how big her breasts are. If she's farily average, say a 'C' cup, some tape and loose clothing may be enough, although that's got to be uncomfortable. Bigger than that, and things will get more difficult (say modifiers to the disguise roll).

Ultrasound and millimeter radar may be able to detect the difference in the chest depending on breast size as well, taped or not. A thorough scan, like a x-ray, would show the difference as well, since breast tissue is different from normal body fat. There are men that do have actual breast tissue instead of just chest fat, although they just look like 'man boobs'. I knew a guy that had that and had to have it surgivally removed because it started to grow. The doctor told him somewhere around 20% of men have it to varying degrees. Don't know how accurate that is, but that's what the doctor told him.

Nano paste can go along way to give someon more 'manly' features. I see no reason that you coulnd't modify some of that gunk to change around more of the body type though. probably be expensive though.

But assuming she's got the right type of build for it (no very skinny neck, pronounced collar bone, nice butt wink.gif or shapely ladies legs and keeps most of her body clothed, it shouldn't be too difficult. Millimeter radar would be the only thing I would worry about, and that isn't that common for security (at least according to STOA 63).

I expect her body language will depend on just how well she does on her disguises - she probably knows enough, and definitely has hung around with men, long enough to know general male body language, but she'd probably fail at times.

The character is actually very feminine - not the right body type at ALL. Although the ass bit will be dealt with via the fact that she wears a long coat, and baggy pants will help a bit with the legs.

I expect the character to ultimately fail under intense scrutiny, actually. But that's cool.
mintcar
Take a few of the suggestions mentioned, like odor sprays, male genitalia underware, facemask with voicemodulator wink.gif (part of the concept already right?), baggy clothes. Doesn´t matter if it´s enough or not game whise, its just fluff anyway. What really matters is your disguise roll compaired to the scanners.

As a GM I would give you bonus dice for using high tech disguises, but then I would give you hefty penalties for trying to hide something as major as your gender. So basicly it would be your disguise skill against any scrutiny you face.
Slump
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Sphynx @ Dec 19 2005, 06:51 AM)

Somehow I think that by 2060, it will be alot easier for a woman to ignore that modifier if they want to. Today we have a shot or pill that you can take that makes you have that modifier 4 times a year. They could easily eliminate them entirely except it's hard to get permission to do the research on what would happen phisiologically if they eliminated it entirely.

With the lack of ethics and governmental control following the first crash, I don't think the megas would have had a problem experimenting and created a safe no-menst pill/shot.

I can just see the ads..

"Take MenoPlus! All the benefits of going through menopause, but without any of the nasty side effects! If you decide to have a child the old-fashoned way, then just take the re-instatement pill (included in the package) and within a week you could become pregnant! Side effects may include irritability, nausia, sterility, constant bleeding, poor eyesight, vomiting, sore throat and being mistaken for an old lady on olfactory scans"
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Slump)
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Dec 19 2005, 02:45 PM)

Somehow I think that by 2060, it will be alot easier for a woman to ignore that modifier if they want to.

Oh, I agree that it'd be very easy under 2070s medicine to avoid that modifier completely (Which is one of the reasons I don't think the modifier should be as controversial as some people have treated it).

However, the rules text about pheremone scanners being able to automatically distinguish gender is seperate from the modifiers on the table.

And to touch upon an issue from earlier in the thread, if your working picture of how the pheremone scanner actually works involves pheremones with long linger times, with the scanner using a database of "known scents" so that it can determine a new one, then it's only a matter of time before the owner of the scanner connects your entry in the database to the fact that that particular scent only shows up when you're around. Even ensuring that you're only around the scanner in mixed-gender crowds can only temporarily hold off the inevitable.
SEAL Intel
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
And to touch upon an issue from earlier in the thread, if your working picture of how the pheremone scanner actually works involves pheremones with long linger times, with the scanner using a database of "known scents" so that it can determine a new one, then it's only a matter of time before the owner of the scanner connects your entry in the database to the fact that that particular scent only shows up when you're around. Even ensuring that you're only around the scanner in mixed-gender crowds can only temporarily hold off the inevitable.

Just curious why people have the presumption that the scanner can tell Person A from Person B. The text on page 254 states that the scanner is
sophisticated enough to tell the difference between a metahuman and an animal and can also pinpoint gender, but are otherwise not advanced enough to single out an individual.
So yes you will not mistake a human for a dog but it would be impossible to have a database of what each person smells like because of the limits of technology.
RunnerPaul
Even if it can't pick out which individual is responsible for which scent, it tells you when there are people of a particular gender in proximity to the sensor, and do it well enough to be used as an intrusion detection method.

Where this comes into play, is in situations where there are only a few people in proximity, who's apparent genders are known to the person operating the scanner. Sooner or later, you'll have a scent of the wrong gender where there shouldn't be.

Staying in mixed gender company can only protect against this for so long.
SEAL Intel
I agree with your assertion. I was just referring to some earlier comments regarding the unique nature of human scents.

One thing to also keep in mind is assistance from the GM. GM saying "okay you are there with John and Sam and you smell a woman" is very different from saying "the cyberware you picked up last year from that street doc is starting to give you anomalies in the readings such as saying that John or Sam is a woman, never stiff a street doc". It is all in the framing. Setting it up properly can help far more than some dice rolls.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (SEAL Intel)
So yes you will not mistake a human for a dog but it would be impossible to have a database of what each person smells like because of the limits of technology.

Keep in mind that mere olfactory scanners can't, but the olfactory booster most likely can - enabling the user even to identify emotions and illnesses...
Kerberos
QUOTE (SEAL Intel)
I agree with your assertion. I was just referring to some earlier comments regarding the unique nature of human scents.

One thing to also keep in mind is assistance from the GM. GM saying "okay you are there with John and Sam and you smell a woman" is very different from saying "the cyberware you picked up last year from that street doc is starting to give you anomalies in the readings such as saying that John or Sam is a woman, never stiff a street doc". It is all in the framing. Setting it up properly can help far more than some dice rolls.

Actually I think that if my GM informed me of that kind of "anomalities" concerning my constantly masked and heavily cloaked team mate, I might just smell a rat. methaphorically speaking of course
SEAL Intel
QUOTE (Kerberos)
Actually I think that if my GM informed me of that kind of "anomalities" concerning my constantly masked and heavily cloaked team mate, I might just smell a rat. methaphorically speaking of course

I am sure it would depend on your GM's style. I am one to constantly feed my players "useless" information. It makes it more like real life for a paranoid.

"Did someone come back to the condo? No? Why is the door only double locked and not triple? Okay I am cutting open my mattress to look for bombs or recording devices."

When the players don't know if something is important or an adventure hook you don't have to worry as much about them getting a false sense of security
SEAL Intel
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Keep in mind that mere olfactory scanners can't, but the olfactory booster most likely can - enabling the user even to identify emotions and illnesses...

There is a difference too in saying, "smells like fear" and "smells like John".
Kerberos
QUOTE (SEAL Intel)
QUOTE (Kerberos @ Jan 9 2006, 07:26 AM)

I am sure it would depend on your GM's style. I am one to constantly feed my players "useless" information. It makes it more like real life for a paranoid.

"Did someone come back to the condo? No? Why is the door only double locked and not triple? Okay I am cutting open my mattress to look for bombs or recording devices."

When the players don't know if something is important or an adventure hook you don't have to worry as much about them getting a false sense of security

My point is that even if the GM feeds you lots of useless information, a teammate who's always cloaked and masked is mighty suspiciuos. I'd be wondering what they were hiding even before any "anomalities" turned up.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (SEAL Intel)
There is a difference too in saying, "smells like fear" and "smells like John".

Just it's more like "Smells like the flue" and "Smells like John". wink.gif

Keep in mind that humans without augmention are able to pick out different persons - even if most are not aware of that.
SEAL Intel
QUOTE (Kerberos)

My point is that even if the GM feeds you lots of useless information, a teammate who's always cloaked and masked is mighty suspiciuos. I'd be wondering what they were hiding even before any "anomalities" turned up.

I am sorry I misunderstood. I was thinking you were saying that if you heard about the reading you would become suspicious. If you already don't trust the psychopaths that you have met in the last 2 weeks and you will confirm your suspicion by checking them throughly (which everyone should do but far too many don't) then you would obviously would react accordingly. I was thinking of the movie Mulan (because of the thread title) and in a group of people who trust all of the other untrustworthy people around them because of the players at the table. I see no reason in giving something to a player that does not try to earn it.

Then again I will also conceed that I am something of a cock when I run. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012