Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to hear and Shadowrun movie?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mardegun
I just posted a link to one part of a 13 1/2 min Shadowrun audio film. I took it from the Renraku: Shutdown.

The link can be found in this Part of the movie.

Tell me what you think.
Drac
Cool, but way too short.
More! More!
Backgammon
Hey, that's pretty cool!
the_dunner
Very cool start!
Mardegun
Cool, it sounds like I have a thumbs up from your guys. I'll see if I can clear legal to allow me to share the whole thing with you guys. However I wouldn't want to do that until after it was done.
DocMortand
As a fellow audio engineer, I applaud it. Maybe adding a few of the more military noises might have been cool (like the crew on the ground readying weapons after they land, that sort of thing - background noises). Also adding a soft bumblebee noise would be cool too if they are involved. smile.gif

Very good, tho - that Pro Tools you using over there, or Nuendo?
Mardegun
Well I must adimit that I didn't put it together; a co-work of mine did. I compose the script and director, but I didn't mix it.

Most of the sounds are temp and I am making a list of all of the changes I want. The biggest things is pacing, layering, background noise and more combat fxs

All in all I think she did a great job. It only took her a couple of hours to put it all together. This part is only a min of a 13+ min peice. So far we have put in about 6 hours of work and I am pretty happy about it.
TheHappyAnarchist
Very cool. If you talk to FanPro you may be able to get it official, have them host it on their website and get paid for it.

I MUST KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON THOUGH!!!
DocMortand
QUOTE (Mardegun @ Dec 20 2005, 12:16 AM)
Well I must adimit that I didn't put it together; a co-work of mine did.  I compose the script and director, but I didn't mix it. 

Most of the sounds are temp and I am making a list of all of the changes I want.  The biggest things is pacing, layering, background noise and more combat fxs

All in all I think she did a great job.  It only took her a couple of hours to put it all together.  This part is only a min of a 13+ min peice.  So far we have put in about 6 hours of work and I am pretty happy about it.

*blink* 6 hours only? You got a good engineer then! It'd take me a little longer, maybe 9-12 hrs.

[edit] Of course, I don't have vocal talent available to me, either...
Mardegun
Although I am still unsure if I can release it to the public, I'll try to get a copy to Rob Boyle. Even though he may hear of it via these forms, I have a friend who used to work for FASA. They talk from time to time, so someday Rob might hear it.

In regards to what I have now, it took 4 hours of VO recording and I think she said only 2 hours of editing. Then again it must of took her longer, but to be honest I am not sure when she started. It might have taken her 3 hours. In any case she is really good at what she does.

Right now I am writing out my directions on future tweaking. I have written 4 pages so far, but I am only half way through the 13 min movie. All in all I hope to put in another 2 to 4 hours of tweaking and sound fx replacement into the movie.

Wish me luck!
Velocity
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist)
I MUST KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON THOUGH!!!

Have you not read Renraku Arcology: Shutdown? The script is from that book and it's the last record of a team that penetrated the arcology to do a little recon. It's a tense read...
Velocity
This is really great work, the FX are excellent and the voices convey a lot of emotion -- I really felt the tension, anxiety and fear the team experienced. My only critical comment is that I think Control sounds a little too casual. She's great and I'd want you to keep the actor in the role, but I think (IMHO) she should sound a little more... I dunno, serious? Professional? Maybe it's just me.

Overall, I really enjoyed listening to it. Mad whuffies. biggrin.gif
Mardegun
lol, I agree about Control. Actaully when she heard the recording she wanted to re-record her lines. Also keep in mind we didn't put a filter on her. She doesn't sound like she is part of the action.

So we'll proabbly re-recorder her lines not that she understands the contents of the action. Thanks for the comments btw!
Mardegun
Well if you guys want to hear around part of play I work on go to

ARC Shutdown run (link not available)
eidolon
The only (and it's minor) gripe that I can think to add is:

"Why all the typing?"

I know it's probably just there so that you realize that Control is the decker/rigger in charge of overwatch, but no decker/rigger worth hiring to hit the arc' would be typing.

Overall, it works to convey the role, and it might be odd without it since it's a radio play, but it's all I could think every time she started hammering away.

Overall: Kicks ass.
Minor nitpicks: typing and control's slight lack of feeling
Nitpick that doesn't really count: SR's "vulgar" slang sounds even lamer voiced than when reading it. Oh well. wink.gif

Can't wait to hear the final cut.
Lindt
The typing dosent bother me much, but Im also an old command line junkie.

Yeah, SR slang sounds even worse when spoken, its bad enough written.
Mardegun
So no one else listened to it?? Hmmm, we I thought of making another one for the SR community, but very few people seem to even care.

I guess I won't waste my time, bummer.
Thufar_Hawat
Hi all

As some one who has listened to the who play, i can honestly say it is an excellent piece of work. I think it should be downloadable from www.shadowrunrpg.com or some else where SR fans can easily get hold of it. It's a great atmosphere setter for any group that hasn't yet gone into the Archology.

It will also be a great shame if this lack of response puts you off from doing any more projects.

Ash
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Mardegun)
So no one else listened to it?? Hmmm, we I thought of making another one for the SR community, but very few people seem to even care.

You can hardly judge the number of impressions you got by how many people post. A lot of people might view something but just not feel up to posting about it. If you really want to guage how the clip was recieved you should look at the number of downloads from your website. I daresay that if someone went through the trouble to click through some threads and download something they were pretty interested.
mmu1
QUOTE (Mardegun)

I liked it quite a bit. I just didn't realize I was required to check in and say so, sorry. wink.gif
Mr. Man
I'm interested, but I'm waiting until there's at least a part of it that is 100% completed before I listen.

Partially because I'm lazy and partially because I don't want to pre-judge it.

will_rj
í´ve heard it some days ago, but my lurker blood made me quiet (until now, at least)

Anyway, it´s great stuff you´re doing, so PLEASE keep it going !!

Will
Thanee
QUOTE (Mardegun @ Mar 9 2006, 06:10 PM)

Monitor the download statistics and see how often it gets downloaded, if you want to judge how many are listening to it. smile.gif

But don't forget, that it might get shared in other ways also, so actual numbers might still be higher.

Bye
Thanee
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012