Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does anyone run out of Toronto?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
flow416
Hey guys, this is kind of a repost, since I've already posted in general gaming, but was advised to post over here since it's more relevant, so forgive the messiness of it all. But, I was wondering if anyone hosts there runs out of Toronto. It's my hometown, so I wanted to do something out of here, but having read SoNA, I was displeased by what the book had to say. The whole place struck me as being sterile and boring, a little too much white collar crime and no real grittiness.
Velocity
It's just an American company's dismissal of anything Canadian, don't take it personally. My suggestion would be to re-create T'ranna any way you like. It's a great city to set a Shadowrun campaign in: it's already a "sprawl" today, encompassing most of the golden horseshoe and stretching down to the Niagara valley. With over six million people in 2005, it's probably gonna have broken ten million by 2060 and the urbanized landscape will stretch from Kingston to Detroit. That sounds like an ideal playground to me. smile.gif
Aku
Bah, canadians.

QUOTE (Canadian Bacon)
Their beer sucks!

Good thing i think all beers suck. Do yinz produce any good hard stuff?
Dale
Toronto has too much grittiness as it is so I'm sure if it continues it'll be a cyberpunkish hell in 50 years.
Especially Scarborough.
biggrin.gif
Calvin Hobbes
Our group runs Toronto as a city of platelettes built on top of each other as the city's highways and buildings started to scab over each other like vicious wounds as the corps built entire enclaves without any sky. Above the plates, life is pretty much awesome. At the very bottom, people fight it out with each other for power to keep the lights on and the ghouls away.
Jaid
i run out of Toronto every time i go there.

oh, wait... you mean that as in shadowrun, don't you?

*cue RadioFreeVestibule song*
Mr.Platinum
Good ole T.O.
I must say the streets can be very tough, but in the future i can imagine running would be very common in the HorseShoe area.

Major convention take place, BIZ is booming and not to forget it's right n a lake so smuggling is in also and so on, it's just a big city like any U.S city except we are a more tollerant people of others of difference.
Sandoval Smith
I run out of Toronto all the time. I really should buy it in economy size.
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
I run out of Toronto all the time. I really should buy it in economy size.

Hwta do you mean to buy it in economy size?
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Mr.Platinum @ Dec 21 2005, 09:34 AM)
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith @ Dec 21 2005, 02:32 PM)
I run out of Toronto all the time.  I really should buy it in economy size.

Economy size is bigger than regular size. Thus, I would run out of Toronto less often.
Mr.Platinum
I don't think you realize how big the GTA area is and i have been to many cities in the world.
Calvin Hobbes
Also, it's a neat city for corporate intrigue, living in the directly path between Cross Applied Technologies and Ares Heavy Industries. The two often duke it out there, I'd imagine.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith @ Dec 21 2005, 09:37 AM)

Economy size is bigger than regular size. Thus, I would run out of Toronto less often.

Mr.Platinum Posted on Dec 21 2005, 10:50 AM
  I don't think you realize how big the GTA area is and i have been to many cities in the world. 

I think someone missed the joke. Sandoval, just how much Toronto do you go through that you're constantly running out? And do we want to know what you're doing with it?
Lazarus
Well here is my 0.02 Nuyen.

Unfortunately SR can't really write about everything. (Damn, guys I know it's hard but you can do it! wobble.gif ) So you will probably have to do most of it yourself. Actually the Guide to Camerilla for the Vampire Masquerade has a great section that could be applied to building a SR city. If you use it just reverse it and go into the future. But let's see what SR gave us to work with.

First you have Cross Applied Technologies and Ares. Remember these are the Home Offices of two Mega Corps, and also Canada and the US aren't separate Countries anymore. Chances are with that much industry Detroit and Toronto could be one Sprawl or they could be separate. I would look at what is written about Cross and Ares and go from there. Also look at your city's info website.

What is the history of the city?
What industries are there now?
What world events in the SR timeline would change these industries if any?

With this you can actually build the city to tailor the kind of campaign you want. If you want a darker, more gritty town then make Toronto a dying burg. Cross is losing it's economic war against Ares and business is drying up. shadowrunning is tough, brutal, and cheap.

On the other hand of you want a city that is more like Seattle you can make Toronto part of a Sprawl Meteroplex. Ares and Cross are friendly in public but hate each privately. The town is growing or rather is bursting at the seems. There is plenty of work for talented runners, and it pays well, but beneath this surface of growth is the ugly truth. One wrong step and runners can buy the farm but at least they will go out with the pretty toys.

One thing I would add is that guns would be a lot cheaper in Toronto then say D.C. or other places. I mean Ares is right there. You could lower the Street Index on all Ares made weapons.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (stevebugge)
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith @ Dec 21 2005, 09:37 AM)

Mr.Platinum Posted on Dec 21 2005, 10:50 AM

I think someone missed the joke. Sandoval, just how much Toronto do you go through that you're constantly running out? And do we want to know what you're doing with it?

A fifth on a regular night, or the whole thing if the trolls are having a party. I sure wish I could get it in a six pack.
Mr.Platinum
Mmmmmm a 6 pack.
Mr.Platinum
a 6 pack of Tall Boys. or troll sized oil Barrels.
Kyoto Kid
But why would I use Toronto when Provence' Quebec is so much softer & cushony?
Jaid
don't be ridiculous. Quebec goes rotten way too fast for the amount of it there is... you'd never use it all up before it's spoiled (which is usually very shortly after you get it).
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Dec 27 2005, 09:06 PM)

Because Toronto has an absorbancy 10x greater than the next leading metrolpolitan area, and that wonderful lemon-fresh scent. 8 million Canadians can't be wrong! Get your Toronto today!

Hey, you're not the same Kyoto Kid who likes to tell stories about the Space Emperor on other gaming boards, are you?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)

Because Toronto has an absorbency 10x greater than the next leading metrolpolitan area, and that wonderful lemon-fresh scent. 8 million Canadians can't be wrong! Get your Toronto today!

Hey, you're not the same Kyoto Kid who likes to tell stories about the Space Emperor on other gaming boards, are you?

1. but does it come in the jumbo size roll?

2. No...this is the only forum I read.

Another KK? that is interesting

I'll have to talk to my copyright lawyers about that....

vegm.gif
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)

Because Toronto has an absorbency 10x greater than the next leading metrolpolitan area, and that wonderful lemon-fresh scent. 8 million Canadians can't be wrong! Get your Toronto today!

1. but does it come in the jumbo size roll?

No, it doesn't, which is why I keep running out.

And I was wrong, the other person I was thinking about operates under the name Kid Kyoto. My bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012