Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange and Rare Metamagics
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dawnshadow
So, what strange metamagics are out there? Canon has listed a few rare ones..

Evoking the Wild Hunt, the Morrigan..
Channelling the Moon..

What others do people have? Have people figured out rules/stats for the Morrigan, or using the power of the moon (Mentioned in SOTA '64).

My personal view on channelling the moon is that it's an outgrowth of "Channelling", that applies to things other than physical attributes. Coming from a Wiccan background, I'd think it would work something like a power focus.. channelling test against target 4 (+2 when indoors, +4 during the day, -2 during the full moon).. each success giving the equivalent of 1 force point of a power focus, and +1 to charisma for purposes of conjuring only. Drain of Successes Deadly when it's finished. What other options are there?
FrostyNSO
"Ancient" Stuff
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
"Ancient" Stuff

Is exceptionally useful, but only gives name and one line for anything considered "rare" or "unusual".
SL James
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
What others do people have? Have people figured out rules/stats for the Morrigan, or using the power of the moon (Mentioned in SOTA '64).

You have to be a 3,000 year-old greek witch.
The Stainless Steel Rat
QUOTE (mfb)
incomplete, but wholly awesome.

F**king A!

Pure, unadulterated, house-rule goodness...

Thank you!
Ancient History
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Dawnshadow @ Dec 20 2005, 05:04 PM)

I think that particular Woman of Thessaly might have been a bit older.
Kanada Ten
I think using the Moon is more Sensing and Divination combining to make Geomancy, only it's Lunamancy - well, more like Astrology, but you get the idea. I'd treat it like a power site with some random mana craziness from the chart in MitS mitigated by the number of successes.
SL James
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (SL James @ Dec 21 2005, 12:21 AM)
QUOTE (Dawnshadow @ Dec 20 2005, 05:04 PM)

I think that particular Woman of Thessaly might have been a bit older.

Perhaps. No one's sure.
Ancient History
Well, no one that's telling, anyway. Damn you Gaiman!
fistandantilus4.0
mfb: thanks for the linky-goodness. I love those metamagics, and I always have the hardest time finding them. love.gif
mfb
note that some of the metamagics might need re-working for use in normal games. Ellery designed the whole thing as part of an expanded magic system, in which different types of Awakened characters are basically differentiated by what set of metamagics they choose at chargen. so the Adeptness metamagic, for instance, might not be suitable for use in most games, as it would give any mage who took it access to adept powers (and if you're not using the included learning houserules, it's going to be way too easy for a mage to get that metamagic).

there's a more recent edition, somewhere. i'll link it when i find it.
fistandantilus4.0
Does the updated version have some of those unexplained metamagics fleshed out yet? *crosses fingers*

I got those links from Ell a while ago and have been waiting for her to finish them off with baited breath (or maybe just bad breath. you be the judge)
mfb
sorry, lost track. the updated version has some of them, and this version has some the updated one doesn't (the updated one was being gone over for inclusing as official Shadowland houserules, so i think Ell took some of the crazier ones out for it).
wargear
In a long term campaign that I was lucky enough to play in, we came up with a handful of additional meta-magics. The most interesting of which was one that allowed someone who could allready perceive the astral to be able to see the spirit marks left on peoples aura by powerful beings. Great Dragons, immortal elves, horrors, great form spirits...that sort of thing.
Our characters kept coming into contact with these creatures (knowingly or not) and quite a number of them left their mark behind. With this meta magic we too were able to see the marks. Figuring out what the marks meant took a lot longer though.
nick012000
Don't forget the metamagic that allows cyberzombies to come into existance. It probably requires Quickening to be learned, given the mention of Quickened spells when Lethe looks at Burnout on the Astral.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012