Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ritual Summoning?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lord Ben
Can two mages work together to summon something?
Azralon
Not under current SR4 rules, unless you count "one magician summons something bigger than his Magic, the other sustains attribute buffs on the summoner and stands by to Heal."

I suspect Street Magic will contain something akin to ritual summoning.
PlatonicPimp
Hmmm... I think the ritual sorcery rules would work just fine for that. The main summoner uses summoning and binding, the helpers make ritual sorcery tests to give those nice " Helping out a friend" dice to the main summoner, happy drain all around.
RunnerPaul
Except for the whole part that' it's ritual "sorcery", not ritual "conjuring". I agree, from a mechanics standpoint, it's probably fine, but part of me worries that maybe there's a reason that the game designers didn't just turn it into a generalized "Ritualized Magic" when they were rebuilding the rest of the magic rules from the ground up.
Azralon
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Dec 21 2005, 05:00 PM)
part of me worries that maybe there's a reason that the game designers didn't just turn it into a generalized "Ritualized Magic" when they were rebuilding the rest of the magic rules from the ground up.

I wonder if the triumvirates of Spellcasting/Counterspelling/Ritual Sorcery and Conjuring/Binding/Banishing are groups of 3 just to pad the skill groups out to their minimum skill count. That is to say, a skill group doesn't become worth it from a BP standpoint until it has three members.

They could have probably done it up as "Spellcasting/Dispelling/Spell Defense" and had both Spellcasting and Summoning include ritualized uses. Alternately, Binding could have been bundled into Summoning to make room for Ritual Summoning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012